PDA

View Full Version : Member of the week type thing?

Phoenix Aes Sedai
08-31-2002, 10:07 PM
I just suggested this at FFL and think it would also be a good idea over here. Basically, each week, the staff (or some people appointed to pick people) picks a random regular member and makes a stickied thread somewhere for that person to post a little about themselves and for others to ask them questions. It's a good way for people who don't have time to chat or don't have IM programs to get to know their fellow members better. The thread would stay open for a week, then would be closed and archived.

Just an idea.

Phoenix

Alpha
08-31-2002, 10:09 PM
Sounds good, I would enjoy that.

Dr Unne
08-31-2002, 10:55 PM
If someone on staff actually would manage to keep up with it each week, it might be a good idea. But we're so lazy it would probably die very quickly, or we'd run out of people. That's what happened to the first incarnation of the Daily Grind when it used to be a "topic of the day" forum.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-31-2002, 11:03 PM
I think we tossed this idea around in the Staff forum for a while, once. It didn't go through, tho', and it's plain to see why.

People would be sure to become bitterly envious if as many weeks as they had in mind went by without them becoming Members. Then they'd go off and start threads about how biased the staff is, or better yet, gossip about it off the fora or Leave EoFF Forever™ because after all, nobody wants them around anyway, right?

Right. *bans everybody*

Phoenix Aes Sedai
08-31-2002, 11:43 PM
Uh...well...it's supposed to be done at random. An easy way to keep track of it is to sticky the thread on a Monday or Friday, then unstick, close, and move it on the corresponding day of that week. The staff wouldn't necessarily 'have' to be the ones doing the choosing. It could be a group of senior members, or just people you guys trust. Basically, my plan at FFL (if it goes through) is to scroll through the Online Users and pick someone at random. When I've done all those, maybe start picking older members, or newbies who haven't had it done. Or just go through the member list and find actives.

Yeah, it would be a lot of work for one person, but if the job of finding and posting the thread rotated among a ground of people per week (like week 1 personA does it, week 2 is personB's turn, etc), it wouldn't be too bad.

And, if people start acting like the way you seem to think they would, let me at them. *evil gleam in eyes* I luff to wield teh clue by four. *semi kidding*

Phoenix

Shlup
09-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Random sounds good, but under what criteria? A lot of members have never posted, a few members just started posting, and a handful of members have posted a lot in the past, but don't anymore.

Citizen Bleys
09-01-2002, 02:00 AM
I likes teh FFL files.

But it's too much work for my lazy programmer ass.

Miriel
09-01-2002, 02:07 AM
umm what if some members don't want to be the member of the week? I personally wouldn't want a thread where everyone asked me questions...

Big Ogre Umaro
09-01-2002, 02:08 AM
I approve of everything in this thread except 'Kishi's post and the term "clue by four" which leaves a bad taste in my mouth even though I didn't say it out loud.

At any rate, someone should do it. It shouldn't be me, but it should be someone.

Citizen Bleys
09-01-2002, 02:08 AM
If she means the FFL files (and I think she does), the member is selected out of those who've voluntarily submitted an application (as I have).

Phoenix Aes Sedai
09-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Yeah. Like someone could put up a thread somewhere asking people if they'd like to participate. Then people could be chosen randomly from that group.

Geez, I hadn't even thought of that. *sends Bleys some German beer for the idea*

Phoenix

Loony BoB
09-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Oooh, let's do THAT! =D

Yamaneko
09-01-2002, 03:45 AM
I'd do it. Sounds fun, but rest assured I'm not posting a pic of me though. I will participate if it happens, mark my words.:D

But it's too much work for my lazy programmer ass.

It's people like that, that created Windows.

You could always assign Local Moderators to moderate just that forum and when the week is over they could move it to archive.;)

The PC Fascist
09-01-2002, 04:10 AM
Man, I would like one of those. Just don't do one for me because I'd just get flamed constatnly.

Shlup
09-01-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by The PC Fascist
Just don't do one for me because I'd just get flamed constatnly. :radred:

Nait
09-01-2002, 10:41 AM
Choose the Chooser by popular vote, throw 500d6 for Member, and Save against Flaming.

Loony BoB
09-01-2002, 12:08 PM
I doubt that flaming would be allowed. This IS EoFF, and we don't allow that crap.

Phoenix Aes Sedai
09-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Aw...PCFascist...I was really hoping you'd want to participate. I'd like to get to know more about you, even though I don't always agree with you. You seem like an interesting person. :cry:

I think the voluntary participation thing, then picking randomly from those who say 'yes' is probably the best way to go. That way, people have a chance to say they want to do it.

Phoenix

Citizen Bleys
09-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see something like an FFL files entry for ye, Fascist. Even though you might not think so.

There are a lot of people on this board that most people think that I hate because of the things I've had to say as an administrator. But some of the best threads I've seen here have been either started or made by people who've been in trouble with Staff before. Yourself, Gibsie, edczxcvbnm amongst the most prominent of the members who've been in trouble with Staff. You do bring something valuable to EoFF.

Gads, I really hope nobody else would decline from participating in something like this because of something I've said in my capacity as an admin instead of just as plain old Bleys.

Zypher
09-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Huh? Why would they not participate because Bleys, admin or otherwise, said something about them or was forced to act toward them as staff?

EDIT: If TPCF doesn't want to do one because he's afraid of being flamed, I doubt it's just because of something you've said, Bleys.

Cz
09-01-2002, 08:25 PM
I'm jealous enough of you people already. Isn't one murder enough?

This has happened before at other boards, and people who don't undertsand the system complain about not getting picked. People who do understand the system complain about...Aw, screw it.

I can't think of a proper reason, I just don't like it. :grumble:

edczxcvbnm
09-01-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Bleys Kevorkian
But some of the best threads I've seen here have been either started or made by people who've been in trouble with Staff before. Yourself, Gibsie, edczxcvbnm amongst the most prominent of the members who've been in trouble with Staff.

I actually made a good thread? I thought I was out of trouble with the staff now. I know in the past I was evil among all that is evil.

ANYWAYS! I would love to participate in that thingy. It sounds like FUN! I would volunteer to help run the thing but I doubt you people trust me enough to hand over something like this.

Dr Unne
09-01-2002, 11:37 PM
<i>ANYWAYS! I would love to participate in that thingy. It sounds like FUN! I would volunteer to help run the thing but I doubt you people trust me enough to hand over something like this.</i> --ed

*immune to reverse psychology*

Yeah, it all sounds like a good idea. I won't be involved in it much / at all though. *leaves you all to your work*

Phoenix Aes Sedai
09-02-2002, 01:11 AM
I can help run it if you need people. But, I don't think I could run it by myself right now because I am so busy with FFL, Legardinia, making an RPG, and going to school. All that, and my arms acting up. Bleys can explain the last bit.

*gets ice*

Phoenix

The PC Fascist
09-02-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix Aes Sedai
Aw...PCFascist...I was really hoping you'd want to participate. I'd like to get to know more about you, even though I don't always agree with you. You seem like an interesting person. :cry:

Phoenix

Awww...*melts* Well, throw me in there. :save:

edczxcvbnm
09-02-2002, 03:42 AM
I don't mind running this thing at all. How hard is it really? I take all the applications for people who want to participate in this thing for about a week then I toss all the names into a random number generator and make a topic telling everyone who the person is and stuff. It doesn't sound that hard to actually do or all that time consuming.

Garland
09-02-2002, 04:37 AM
Well, I'm all for the idea. I'd participate if it were done. I'd also help in any way that a non staff member might be needed.

Citizen Bleys
09-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
I don't mind running this thing at all. How hard is it really? I take all the applications for people who want to participate in this thing for about a week then I toss all the names into a random number generator and make a topic telling everyone who the person is and stuff. It doesn't sound that hard to actually do or all that time consuming.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can do the whole thing except for stickying the thread. And since there's almost always at least one mod on, that shouldn't be a real issue. You might want to see the FFL files from fflegend.com/forums to get an idea of what kind of questions you want to ask on the survey--and then thrown in a few silly ones of your own.

edczxcvbnm
09-02-2002, 10:31 PM
SWEEEEEET! Alright. I will take a look at how they run it over there and have the EoFF questionare ready tomarrow and I will PM it to you guys to make sure it is good to go on wensday for the application thingy.