PDA

View Full Version : Language.

Nait
09-01-2002, 10:50 AM
Does Kishi's announcement on the word "alot" represent the staff's official opinion, or is he just a lone language-nazi on an unholy crusade?

Big Ogre Umaro
09-01-2002, 11:25 AM
I don't think that the staff can <i>have</i> an official opinion on fact. If we can, I say we should all agree that Diet Coke doesn't exist. Can't stand that stuff.

Shlup
09-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Language-nazi! Language-nazi!!

That's okay though, because we all <3 Kishi alot.

Heath
09-01-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Big Ogre Umaro
I don't think that the staff can <i>have</i> an official opinion on fact. If we can, I say we should all agree that Diet Coke doesn't exist. Can't stand that stuff.

Makes sence. I never beleived the stuff existed anyway...:D

Citizen Bleys
09-01-2002, 01:58 PM
*see new announcement*

"Alot" is a word, but it's a verb, dammit.

Nait
09-01-2002, 02:16 PM
PFFT, English is stock-ful of homonyms. >=P ALOT = A LOT. *moons Bleys and Kishi*

Roogle
09-01-2002, 03:43 PM
I thought the verb was "allot" and the words were "a lot".

EDIT: Silly me, I just read the two announcements. I still... could've sworn that the verb was "allot", though...

Rydia of Mist
09-01-2002, 04:58 PM
"Allot" <I>is</I> the correct spelling, Roogle. I've made my own announcement stating this. :D

Zypher
09-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Our administraters can't even spell 'a lot' without confering together about it.... *shakes head sadly* :tongue:

Cz
09-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Aren't these things just a leetle too trivial to warrant their own announcements?

Nah.

Zypher
09-01-2002, 08:16 PM
EoFF's staff trivial? Never!

Dr Unne
09-01-2002, 11:35 PM
I'd like to point out that ALOT is a military acronym for Airborne Lightweight Optical Tracking. But I'm not going to make an announcement about it. That'd be silly.

crono_logical
09-02-2002, 12:10 AM
As if the other 3 announcements aren't silly enough? :p

Actually, eye don't mind Kishi's first won, eye find seeing 'alot' instead of 'a lot' bugging two me to :p

Cz
09-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Is not that all sew in correct, cl? XD

Personally, I think that it's fun to see announcements made purely from a single grammatical error. Thank goodness nobody's noticed my posts yet.

Citizen Bleys
09-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
I'd like to point out that ALOT is a military acronym for Airborne Lightweight Optical Tracking. But I'm not going to make an announcement about it. That'd be silly.

It would also be funnier than seeing Herve Villachez break open a piņata filled with bees.

Del Murder
09-05-2002, 03:11 AM
You guys are allot of fun.

Citizen Bleys
09-05-2002, 03:37 AM
die

MecaKane
09-08-2002, 01:55 AM
My language teacher in grade 10 told me that alot was not a word and if we used it she'd kick our asses.

So, there you go. Ms. Hobbs and I are right. :D

Edgar
09-08-2002, 02:38 AM
*digs out English dictionary*

Accoring to George Ostler, the forth (old dictionary, btw (1969)) edition of 'The Little Oxford Dictionary of current English (not so current now)' says that:

Allot (v) : Assign; distribute by lot.
Allotment (n): Assignment; small plot of land for cultivation.

*EDITS*

A LOT is an adverb. AN ADVERB. According to dictionary.com, they say that:

A lot: adv : to a very great degree or extent.
eg: "we enjoyed ourselves a lot", "she was a lot interested". Got it?

AS for 'alot', it is an acronym, meaning that each letter stands for something, like Dr. Unne said :D.

ALOT = Adaptive Large Optics Technologies
ALOT = Allotment (yes)
ALOT = Airborne Lightweight Optical Tracking

So, my conclusion is that ALOT is also the short form for ALLOTMENT. NOTE: ALLOT-MENT, not ALLOT.

Thank you very much for your attention

Order of Figaro

Aryn
09-08-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by MecaKane
My language teacher in grade 10 told me that alot was not a word and if we used it she'd kick our asses.

So, there you go. Ms. Hobbs and I are right. :D
Eeewww...Sounds like my 10th grade English teacher...Only she threatened us if we said "How come?" Languege teachers are evil...Well, alot of them are...:rolleyes2 BTW, there is no "alot" in the dictionary I just looked in.

LH
09-08-2002, 10:25 PM
I also have to point out that what is and what isn't a word is not a matter that one person can dictate to another, especially not to a group. If enough people use the word, lo and behold, it is eventually assimilated into the language and is considered to be a word. That's one of the contributing reasons to the exponential growth of language.

Spuuky
09-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by LH
That's one of the contributing reasons to the exponential growth of language. ... Unfortunately.