PDA

View Full Version : Fighter-less parties!

NewbWithACause
09-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Jeez, its like we all depend on our lovable, 1 INT character! I know i do, my Fi/Th/Wm/Bm would be far weaker without him (Its also quite prominent when he gets rubbed and I have to fight) He's nigh-invisible (Other than spells he never takes more than 20 damage,and out of his 400+ hp gauge (I'm level 20 or so) tis hardly a fleshwound.) And he also squashes stuff REALLY easily...

I'm gonna try some fighter-less party right after I finish this one, thats for sure, hopefully it will give a better challenge, maybe something like Rm/BB/Wm/Bm or something?

wolfmah
09-04-2002, 01:36 AM
I don't know if it would be that much difficult than it is with your actual party. If you really want a challange with a less fighter party, try the one you already got, but kill the fighter at the very begining of the game. That would make the game a little bit harder. :D

Nemesis the Warlock
09-04-2002, 08:38 AM
I'm playing Thief/White Mage/Black Belt/Black Belt right now - my "unpopular party". I can tell you, it is the first time I try it without everyone's favourite sword-lover, and it is a challenge. No armour, so I have to put the Thief in the front row (has slightly more HP than the others at the start) and cast Invis on him in almost every battle. Of course, the lack of shiny swords is also a problem. The Thief is a runner, not a fighter. The White Mage doesn't like to hurt anyone, and the Black Belts are just starting to do any damage now, on level 9 and 10. I started exploring the Marsh Cave, but had to turn back after two floors because I ran out of spells (and Thiefs).
On the other hand, this party will probably get very strong after class change, if they survive that long. I can't even survive near Pravoka Fingertip at my current level - Giants squash me like bugs.

Blanky
09-04-2002, 06:57 PM
I've played RM/RM/WM/BM before. It was rather easy though, nothing like some of the ones here you guys have been proposing.

Master.Pug
09-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Fighter's are necessary for a really good party, because they won't lose that much HP!
I've beaten the game with a RW, BW, BW, WW party!
This was fun, and after I reached Pravoka, it was pretty easy!(Ice Cave was hard indeed, but Lit2 burns everything(Wizards!!!)
:greenie:

NewbWithACause
09-04-2002, 09:36 PM
TWO BB's?! Wow, either someone likes martial arts or they like to smash things good! Maybe 2 bb's can replace a fighter though...still they take a lot of damage..

Axethorn Stonehammer
09-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Try RM/RM/BB/TH.

NewbWithACause
09-04-2002, 11:25 PM
I dont like red mages that much...actually not much at all...and all that magic/swords/armor would be dreadful to buy.

Mr. Graves
09-04-2002, 11:29 PM
Any good party must have a Fighter/Knight. It's like an unwritten rule. Thats all I have to say...

Jinx2
09-05-2002, 01:15 AM
I like taking a no-fighter-team just so I don't have to stare at a figthers ugly mug through the world map.

Rude
09-05-2002, 01:36 AM
This thread caused me to have an epiphany. I have yet to use a party in FF1 without a fighter. Next game I start up will be fighterless :)

darkmaster2001
09-05-2002, 02:17 AM
On topic: Wow, fighters are that important, bacause they're are one of the few people who can take a lot of hits...

Off topic (not really, still related to ff1): Time to do some major overkilling.....

so far in my save state of Fi/Rm/Th/Wm

Garland: lv.15

Marsh cave (about to go to): level 2o something, possibly 30's.....

I laugh at the wizards!

Dragonfire
09-05-2002, 03:47 AM
wanna go no-fighter? well, if ya have some spare time (say a year or so) play a single WM party :)

Clyde Arrowny
09-05-2002, 05:33 AM
Try a single thief party.
Level 10 go for Garland
Level 15 Pirates
Level 25 Marsh Cave
Level 40 Earth Cave
Level 50 Everything Else
....At least the Exp. points quadruple...

Nemesis the Warlock
09-05-2002, 08:34 AM
Single parties are silly, they mess up the plot of the game. That one character will be called "the four" and "the light warriors" all the way through the game, and you'll have three corpses lying around in every battle. We are talking about parties that are still fun to play. It is a game, after all.

TWO BB's?! Wow, either someone likes martial arts or they like to smash things good! Both, actually. I just got the Mystic Key last night, so I got everyone tooled up and on level 11. Astos killed one of the Black Belts, but he always gets someone. Lucky I'm not the resetting type, so I carried on and beat him.
There is no unwritten rule forcing us to take fighters. Not everyone likes swords...

Maybe 2 bb's can replace a fighter though...still they take a lot of damage.. At this level, their defense is already better than the Thief's and the Healer's. I know, that is not difficult, but they seem to improve. Granted, my White Mage is very busy casting Invis and Cure all the time.

Dragonfire
09-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Nemesis the Warlock
Single parties are silly, they mess up the plot of the game. That one character will be called "the four" and "the light warriors" all the way through the game.

If you care that much then get an NES text editor and change it :)

Nemesis the Warlock
09-05-2002, 09:01 AM
Didn't even know that was possible. True, that would make a single party more playable, but I wouldn't know how to use it. Getting emulators to run on my computer is challenging enough.
Have you actually beaten the game with a single party, Dragonfire?

Dragonfire
09-05-2002, 10:51 AM
only a single fighter party

NewbWithACause
09-05-2002, 10:26 PM
LOL!

Well, i'll try out the BB once I find the ROM for FF1 on WSC, I have the patch, the patcher, the emulator ALL I NEED IS THE GOD FORSAKEN ROM! ARGGGGGGGGGH.

Spuuky
09-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Last time through the game, actually, I used BB/BB/WM/BM. It was really, really easy.

Nemesis the Warlock
09-06-2002, 09:34 AM
It is getting very easy. My four fearless vampire killers just beat that bloodsucker last night, on level 14. It's amazing - I don't miss armour anymore. The Black Belts both have extremely high defense now (I forgot the number, but it's ridiculous). In order to make the game more challenging, I am keeping one of the Black Belts fully equipped, with cap, gloves, silver bracelet and power staff. Don't ask me why, I just thought one of them should be weaker than the other, dunno. Right now, he does less damage than the Thief with the rune sword. Still, the vampire dropped after two or three turns, and the White Mage hadn't even used Harm on him.
Another good thing about my "unpopular party" - they are stinking rich now.

Edit: This party is invincible after class change. I just beat up Warmech on level 28, and wasn't prepared at all, as I had just fought Tiamat, hadn't healed afterwards and was short of spells. The White Wizard managed to keep everyone alive until the Ninja had cast Fast on both Black Belts. Warmech never knew what hit it. I almost yelled "Kamehameha!" at the screen.

Book
05-15-2003, 01:51 PM
I've always had a fighter as a "wall" the class on the front road taking 90% of the damage and he keeps it low aswell. I guess playing without a fighter will prove a worthy challenge that I will try and use the next time around when I play the game.

edit: If I could mange to stay alive until the class upgrade; a Ninja could take the "wall" spot, surviving up to this point is another issue.

IRECKONBO
06-19-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Clyde Arrowny
Try a single thief party.
Level 10 go for Garland
Level 15 Pirates
Level 25 Marsh Cave
Level 40 Earth Cave
Level 50 Everything Else
....At least the Exp. points quadruple...

You dont need to lvl up THAT much. Even on the PSX version. When i beat my solo thief (im sure everyone remember my journal here Black Mage FF1) i beat garland at lvl 6

level 6-9 (cant remember) for the pirates
lvl 19 for the marsh cave
lvl 28 for lich
lvl 30 for kary
lvl 38 for kraken
lvl 48 for tiamat
and lvl 50 for CHAOS

but thats just my NES lvls my psx lvls were different

lvl 5 for garland
lvl 12 for pirates
lvl 19 for wizards
lvl 22 for astos
lvl 26 for lich
lvl 29 for kary
lvl 33 for kraken
lvl 35 for tiamat
lvl 38 for CHAOS (thank god for the giants glove!!!)

anyway if you want a really good fighter less party then you should use a Thief/Red Mage/White and Black.

Book
06-28-2003, 05:44 AM
My latest party is pretty interesting and 100 ´% fighterless, yay. The new front line blocker is my Thief (not a Ninja as of yet) Two BBs to kick ass and a Red Mage to heal and boost. DOn't know how this is going to turn out yet since I've only gotten to 3rd town.

Sefie1999AD
06-28-2003, 12:53 PM
If you're playing on NES, take Rm/Bb/Wm/Bm. Red Mage and Black Belt should be able to attack well, with White Mage healing and Black Mage helping with black magic and FAST. If you're playing on WSC or PSX, take Rm/Th/Wm/Bm. You'll need that Thief to run away from countless nightmare battles in Ice Cave. (he can't run away as well as in NES, but he was still a party-saver in Ice Cave for me) Besides, the Thief as Ninja does a lot better in WSC/PSX's final battle than Black Belt or Master. For some reason, Square didn't want Black Belt to do 2000+ damage to Chaos in WSC/PSX versions (like he does in NES), so they increased Chaos' physical defence so that even a FASTed (Hasted) fist-using Master does only about 250 damage to Chaos. A level 50 Knight with Hasted Masamune can't do 1000+ damage either, but at least it's a bit better, something like 500-600+ damage.

Anyway, take a Red Mage / Black Belt or Thief / White Mage / Black Mage party.

Rude
06-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Erm, everyone runs away at almost the same level as te Theif on the WSC/PSX versions. His running advantage was in NES, not in the later versions, or so I've observed.

Reine
07-31-2003, 05:14 AM
In reply to Sephiroth1999AD: I cast Haste and Saber a couple of times on my Lvl 51 Master, and he did 24 hits and 4275 damage.

Anyway, going with the topic, a Master can be "the wall" at high levels, as his defence equals his level when he is fully unequipped. His attack power equals his level x2. Accuracy and Evade im not sure of. My next party will be: Ninja, Red Wizard, White Wizard and Black Wizard. My Knight was useless compared to a Master.

Wightraven
07-31-2003, 05:21 AM
I used to require a fighter for my parties back on my NES and on my ROM, but when I got the PSX version I started with RM/Thief/BB/BM. So far they work pretty well, though potion costs run me into the ground.

Sefie1999AD
07-31-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Andreil Darkstorn
In reply to Sephiroth1999AD: I cast Haste and Saber a couple of times on my Lvl 51 Master, and he did 24 hits and 4275 damage.

Anyway, going with the topic, a Master can be "the wall" at high levels, as his defence equals his level when he is fully unequipped. His attack power equals his level x2. Accuracy and Evade im not sure of. My next party will be: Ninja, Red Wizard, White Wizard and Black Wizard. My Knight was useless compared to a Master.

Level 51? That means you're playing with the Easy difficulty level, which doesn't really say much to me because it's such a major breeze anyway since your stats get really high. Besides, on level 50 with Normal difficulty, I managed to get my Hasted/Sabered Knight do 8000+ damage. My friend did over 9000, I think.