PDA

View Full Version : A Random Thought

The Man
09-09-2002, 03:44 AM
<font color=38bcee>I've decided that I want to define my custom font colour via style sheet, which will be placed in my signature so that if you don't have signatures enabled, you won't see my funky blue font. The problem arises in the { character, which automatically gets converted to &amp;#123; in the board HTML. Rather bad for defining style sheets, since the left brace is vital for defining style sheets.

Is there a reason for this character to be disabled? If it weren't, those of you who didn't like my post colour would be able to avoid seeing it anymore. Ever. Just by disabling sigs. And that could spread to other users, too, I'd imagine, if they knew enough about CSS.

Here's my style sheet, which I'm randomly inserting now so you can behold its loveliness/ugliness, and also because I have nothing better to do:

<blockquote><font face="monospace">&lt;style type="text/css"&gt;
#manly {font-size: "84.62%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"; color: "#38BCEE"}
#manly table {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"; color: "#38BCEE"}
#manly tr {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"; color: "#38BCEE"}
#manly td {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"; color: "#38BCEE"}
#manly p {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"; color: "#38BCEE"}
#manly A:link {color="#38E897"; text-decoration: "none"}
#manly A:visited {color="#38E897"; text-decoration: "none"}
#manly A:active {color="#38E897"; text-decoration: "none"}
#manly A:hover {color="#7EB7ED"; text-decoration: "underline overline"; background-color: "#204962"}
#mansig {font-size: "69.23%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"}
#mansig table {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"}
#mansig tr {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"}
#mansig td {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"}
#mansig p {font-size: "100.00%"; font-family: "Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"}
#mansigad {color="#38BCEE"}
#mansigad A:link {color="#38E897"; text-decoration: "none"}
#mansigad A:visited {color="#38E897"; text-decoration: "none"}
#mansigad A:active {color="#38E897"; text-decoration: "none"}
#mansigad A:hover {color="#7EB7ED"; text-decoration: "underline overline"; background-color: "#204962"}
&lt;/style&gt;</font></blockquote>And here's <font color="38e897" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';">an example of it in action</font> (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ajf83/blahblah.html), and <font color="38e897" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';">another</font> (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ajf83/manstuff.html). In the first one, there are multiple style sheets per page, and very little gets screwed up. (Some of the stuff is screwed up, but not enough of it is screwed up for me to figure out why it's screwed up, but I was going to make a new thread asking people on the boards whether my new style sheet screwed up their browsers. Since I can't post the durn things, I couldn't do that, so we'll worry about that later... if you could temporarily change that, I'd appreciate it).

Peace
Kilgore Trout<font size=2>

Dr Unne
09-09-2002, 04:34 AM
...what?

If the board parses braces out, there's probably a good reason for it. Perhaps a security reason, so people don't put stray PHP hacker code in their sigs or posts. I don't know what the reason might be, but I'm not going to mess with it.

I mean... this is pretty unnecessary. I really, really don't care if I see font colors. Not enough to have people posting monstrous CSS junk in their sigs or something. An MB is used to talk to people. The format used for the text by which we do the talking is next to meaningless. There's a saying about "Missing the forest for the trees". i.e., losing sight of the big picture and focusing on details that don't even matter. That probably applies here. This kind of thing doesn't matter.

Loony BoB
09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
I mean... this is pretty unnecessary.

*wonders how many threads there have been in Feedback that are to do with The Man's siggie*

Why not just have a normal sig like everyone else? Ayayay.

Shlup
09-09-2002, 09:01 AM
I don't think anyone really cares, Manny. There's nothing wrong with a little blue.

Yamaneko
09-09-2002, 10:29 PM
CSS is bad for me. Microsoft Script Editor will go crazy if any CSS is present on the page. Your sig is fine the way it is(even though I don't like closing your color tag when I quote). Keep it. Nobody really minds seeing your "Manny blue" color.:D

The Man
09-10-2002, 03:30 AM
<font color=38bcee><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">From various comments I'd been receiving I was rather under the impression that some people didn't like my use of a custom post colour. Maybe it was mistaken, then. *shrug*

Ah well. Thanks for the consideration and what-not.

Peace
Kilgore Trout

Dr Unne
09-10-2002, 03:56 AM
I don't much care for it, but I'm not losing sleep over it. :) Who cares what I think anyways? Or anyone else for that matter.

The Man
09-10-2002, 04:12 AM
<font color=38BCEE><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bothering others is not something particularly high on my list of priorities in any case. *shrug*

And I actually care what you think, Unne. A lot. Because I usually find that it's exceedingly well-thought-out. :)

Peace
Kilgore Trout

Zypher
09-10-2002, 04:46 AM
Bothering others? It's just a font color. It really doesn't matter at all. I don't think anybody is, or should be, 'losing any sleep' over it, one way or the other. :)

In other words, it's just not worth the trouble.