PDA

View Full Version : I really think we need to...

Bahamut2000X
09-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Well I was sure this forums was a completly anti bashing one but I am wondering why threads such as "Woolsey suck" Are allowed to live even though it isn't much of a reason and just a bashing one (even the latest one says that)

I am also kinda tired of all the other bashing ones and I think a rule against bashing of ANY thing (beyond maybe matierals like computers or something that couldn't offend someone would still be allowed) should be made. Because I am just tired of reading those when they just repeat them selves over and over with no evidence just a simple "Because" as to why they bash.

Yamaneko
09-11-2002, 12:34 AM
You are completely right. Beats me. I doubt though Mr. Woosley will be joining EoFF any time soon.:D

Dr Unne
09-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Woolsey? Whatnow? Where is this thread?

Bahamut2000X
09-11-2002, 01:52 AM
It would be located in the FFVI forum. I'll edit this again with the link.

EDIT: Here's the link. http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24040

The Man
09-11-2002, 01:57 AM
<font color=38bcee><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think the Woolsey thread you linked to was phrased particularly tactfully, but there's one great solution to dealing with that thread: If it bugs you, don't read it. There are some people who do have some valid criticisms of Woolsey's "translation" work, and if we restrict them from voicing those criticisms, we lose free speech. I don't like the idea.

Of course, it's not my decision to make, but woteva.

Peace
The Man

Big Ogre Umaro
09-11-2002, 03:28 AM
Yeah, that's dumb. Ted Woolsey's a public figure, and is therefore subject to bashing. Calm down.

The Man
09-11-2002, 03:52 AM
<font color=38bcee><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">In addition to what BOU said, I'd like to point out that <font color=38e897 :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';">my own suggestion on criticism of games</font> (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19390) was never entirely taken to heart, which I now think of as more of a good thing than I did - the policy of the boards, I believe, is to close anti-whatever threads only if they're either (1) rude and insulting to those who like what they're against or (2) dumb. I'm probably leaving something out there, but if we restrict free speech too much, this place will cease to be a forum for the exchange of ideas. That's bad. So while I see where you're coming from, I don't agree with you.

Plus, I and several other people who posted in that thread against Woolsey gave plenty of evidence as to why we dislike him. I don't hate him or anything - he's just done some things that piss me off. I don't see why I should be restricted from saying that here - if I am, then I lose my freedom to voice opinions on what I feel to be an important element of the games, namely how Americans' games were different from the Japanese versions.

Whatever, I'm tired. *sleep*

Peace
The Man

Dr Unne
09-11-2002, 04:24 AM
Yeah, public figures = bashable, pretty much. We don't allow excessive profanity during the bashing of anyone at all, and no bashing people who actually come here, that's all.

Loony BoB
09-11-2002, 08:42 AM
I'd just like to point out that public figures such as 'Sean', 'Dr Unne', 'Del Snizz' and 'Red Wizard' (these are purely examples) are NOT bashable. Public figures must be those that are not registered at Eyes on Final Fantasy. Preferably the ones on TV. Yeah.

Dr Unne
09-11-2002, 06:30 PM
Staff is more bashable than everyone else though. We're subject to critcism about our staffing duties. Just part of being a public figure.

Loony BoB
09-11-2002, 08:28 PM
I was meaning more of the 'why this person sucks' kinda thing.

Bahamut2000X
09-12-2002, 12:23 AM
I don't think the Woolsey thread you linked to was phrased particularly tactfully, but there's one great solution to dealing with that thread: If it bugs you, don't read it. There are some people who do have some valid criticisms of Woolsey's "translation" work, and if we restrict them from voicing those criticisms, we lose free speech. I don't like the idea.

I'm not just talking about the woolsey bashing threads I mean all threads that are bashing ANYTHING to the extent of a person/ nation/ other thing that could offend someone should be disallowed. I mean hell look at the anti american bashign thread and how it itself has become a "bash america" thread.

I am just getting tired of the allowing of the bash anything but members threads as all they do is make flame wars and those as such are not allowed. I mean you can't hope that maybe it WON'T trn into a flame war as it will because there will always be those that are just plain bastards that will do that.

The Man
09-12-2002, 04:03 AM
<font color=38bcee>
Originally posted by Loooooooony BoB in the other thread I already linked you to *lazy*
But I insist you just use the warn button, and NEVER reply to people you find to be ignorant or rude. Y'no. Flaming usually takes two sides.

Originally posted by crono_logical
That couldn't be truer, not replying to the bad posts and warning instead will prevent a lot of the worse threads here - I know it's difficult to not reply if someone flames a member directly or something, but that only adds fuel to the fire, and, almost always ens up with the thread degenerating and getting closed and whatnot.I think that about sums it up, folkies. *wave* :D

Peace
The Man<font size=2>

Del Murder
09-20-2002, 01:35 AM
Aww, so my 'Del Snizz should burn in hell because he stole my name' thread isn't going to fly? He <i>is</i> a mod, after all.