PDA

View Full Version : Acessing Hidden files inside the recycle Bin

Killy
09-14-2002, 11:03 PM
Ive seen it before, I know theres a way to acess the "hidden files" inside the recycle bin (In Windows) The files are: Deleted file and sometimes viruses.

How am I supposed to do that

crono_logical
09-14-2002, 11:18 PM
OPen a command prompt and go to the recycled or recycle bin folder, whicever that drive is using. Then type the following lines:

attrib -r -a -s -h desktop.ini

del desktop.ini

Should see the true contents in Explorer now. Windows will automatically restore that file on the next reboot or other unknown random time it decides to pick :p

Dr Unne
09-15-2002, 12:40 AM
If you're feeling brave, you can open a command prompt and do <b>dir /ah</b> in your root c:\ directory to see all your hidden files. It should list a directory called RECYCLER or something, a nice system hidden directory that I think holds the various junk that ends up in the "Recycling Bin". The contents of that folder do appear as pure junk in DOS, at least on my computer. Weird filenames and whatnot. I don't know what Windows does to files when you "delete" them into the Recycling bin, maybe compresses them up to save space or something. It's a mess in there though. No idea what happens if you try deleting junk from that folder in DOS. Windows probably wouldn't like it though.

Killy
09-15-2002, 03:20 AM
Windows doesnt care about them, they are there waiting to be deleted. Now about deleting them, virus makers dont want you to delete them...

Yamaneko
09-15-2002, 08:13 PM
Things like Autoexec.BAT and other DOS files can be deleted because the next time you reboot. Windows or DOS will make a brand new Autoexec.