PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to FrontPage

Loony BoB
09-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Anyone who's seen what's being done in the Open Source Forum knows that I can't do HTML for nothin'... so I was wondering, does anyone here know any FrontPage-esque programs that are a li'l more easier to get hold of?

Dr Unne
09-15-2002, 12:33 AM
You could always learn HTML. Then you could use anything. Notepad even. http://www.htmlgoodies.com wysiwyg-GUI-generated HTML is pure evil.

Burtsplurt
09-15-2002, 12:43 AM
Just learn the primers and the tables tutorials from HTML Goodies. That's pretty much all you need to know. It's only rarely that I use stuff other than that, and most of the extra stuff I learned has mysteriously disappeared from my head. It'll only take you a week at the most.

Wysiwyg editors are pretty bad without exception. Notepad is definitely the way to go ;).

Big Ogre Umaro
09-15-2002, 04:33 AM
actually, I use <a href="http://www.textpad.com">TextPad</a> which is like Notepad, but it has some stuff that notepad SHOULD have.

But yeah, no WYSIWYG nonsense.

Loony BoB
09-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Learning = Time. *doesn't have much of that*

...actually, I'm just lazy. *will try to learn later*

MecaKane
09-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Netscapt composer's freakishly easy. It doesn't have a lot of features though.

Zypher
09-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Loony BoB: Learning HTML basics = easy + only a little time. If I could do it, you can too.

It's simple, anyway....

Yamaneko
09-15-2002, 08:09 PM
I'd recommend Dreamweaver, but that program requires some time to learn. Kane made a good suggestion. Netscape Composer is a nice easy to use, hands off html, webpage creation tool. Adobe Pagemill is also nice. Conexant Spider(I believe it's called) is also very easy to use. Of course legally you would have to buy these programs with the exception of Composer, but KaZaA might be able to find it for you for a smaller price, if you know what I mean.:D

Garland
09-16-2002, 02:45 AM
Well, if you don't want to actually learn HTML, I also recommend Dreamweaver. Not only does it do HTML, but pretty much all the various script languages as well - like Java. While I do the majority of my site by hand, Dreamweaver is nice for really complicated things like Java, CSS, and the like. It's also completely updated in its HTML version. I know the HTML I learned was pretty much HTML as of 1995, which was when the HTML book I learned it from was published. I just recently updated all my coding - so much of it was obsolete or being phased out. If you go to college, you can get Dreamweaver MX (the latest) for $99. That's why I got it. It was 2/3's less than buying it direct.

Citizen Bleys
09-16-2002, 02:06 PM
I hate WYSIWYG editors with a furious passion.

If *anything*, pirate a copy of Visual Studio 6 and use InterDev.

Samuraid
09-16-2002, 06:47 PM
DEATH TO WYSIWYG editors!!!

&lt;calms down&gt;

Yeah. I can recommend Dreamweaver as well. Its about the only graphical html editor that I would ever dream of using. Frontpage is just an evil nightmare that generates massive amounts of useless code and other junk.

Hand-coding HTML is the best and cleanest way to do it.

Sita Atis
09-18-2002, 09:17 AM
I like Dreamweaver :D . You guys are such purist, I like WYSIWYG programs, it's much more inspirational to be looking at colourful backgrounds and pictures than a white page with code on it.

Spuuky
09-18-2002, 10:11 AM
That's why I prefer a white page with *colorful* code.

I like CuteHTML.