PDA

View Full Version : Another Suggestion

Agent Proto
09-22-2002, 03:56 AM
You know, I've seen quite a lot of threads which turn into debates, and most are often find at EoEO, which was originally used for problems that most EoFFers often faced about love and whatnot. Anyways, I think we should make another forum, which is like Gen Chat and EoEO, except, not. It's basically used for threads which turn into debates. I don't know what we could call it, but if you want to ignore this, I'm fine. I just think we could use a forum just for debatable threads that are based on religion, science, politics, and quite possibly more. If you don't think it's much of a good idea, I'm ok with the fact that we use EoEO for pretty much the same use. :)

Zypher
09-22-2002, 04:38 AM
*shrug* I think EoEo works pretty well for both, myself. The two types of threads tend to be pretty distinct and obvious, so...yeah. I guess if a lot of people want to read only one type without seeing the other, you could split the forum. Doesn't bother me, though. ;)

Spuuky
09-22-2002, 09:22 AM
I like it the way it is.

Nait
09-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Oh, HELL PLEASE YES. At last, AT LAST I could potentially read a thread in EoEO and not feel like I'm being mind-raped! (Or in GC, as the things are going now-a-days).

I Love Shoyku
09-22-2002, 02:14 PM
I agree with Proto, we need a Debate Forum, but it aint gonna happen. Everytime we ask for a new forum we never get one. :-\

Later
Cheffie

Nait
09-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Del Chef
I agree with Proto, we need a Debate Forum, but it aint gonna happen. Everytime we ask for a new forum we never get one. :-\

Later
Cheffie

I once remember sending a PM to Sean asking for the de-mergeadge of the Art/Writing Fora. He even used the names I suggested, but I guess it was pretty much work for the mods. :blush:

I love mods, they're such cute little things. :kiss: :aimmad:

Dr Unne
09-22-2002, 05:04 PM
EoEO was from the start a place to "debate". The first thread I can think of in that forum was a religious forum. Basically you want a seperate forum for problem-related things like girl-problems or boy-problems or family-problems? Because that's the only kind of thing that isn't "debatable". I think those threads still do fine even though we also have "debate" threads. Do you think other threads suffer because we have "debate" threads? It's not like every single thread there turns into a debate.

Loony BoB
09-22-2002, 06:06 PM
I like it how it is. Although, one thing I would like changed is for any threads about personal problems to be allowed to be moved into EoEO if they're in General Chat. I think that's where they belong, but hey, that's just me.

The Man
09-22-2002, 06:16 PM
<font color=38bcee><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif" style="font-size: '107.7%';">I'm just here to voice my agreement with BoB. Heck, one of the avowed purposes for that forum is exactly the aim of the type of thread he described.

Peace
The Man™

Dr Unne
09-22-2002, 06:26 PM
No, it's always been policy not to move things from General Chat to EoEO. If a thread is important, let the person posting it decide who he wants to read it and where he wants to put it.

Loony BoB
09-22-2002, 06:36 PM
*nods* Okay, no fuss. Just a thought/personal preference.

The Man
09-22-2002, 06:37 PM
<font color=38bcee><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif" style="font-size: '107.7%';">I'm aware of that policy and have been for some time. Not to try to be insubordinate or anything, but it makes very little sense to me to have two forums that are more or less entirely interchangeable in the eyes of the staff. As far as I see it, they might as well be the same forum if that's the attitude the staff is going to take (the only reason the dichotomy matters is that GC gets pruned, while apparently, EoEO doesn't).

Not to be an arse, but y'no. That one policy just never made a bit of sense to me at all. I guess General Chat has a larger readership, probably, so people might want to post threads in GC if they wanted lots of people to see them, but then, The Lounge hes a larger readership than the Writer's Corner, yet all threads about literature are moved to the Writer's Corner. Is traffic that important?

Whatever. I guess on one hand it does make sense that the author can choose which audience reads a help thread of his/hers (EoEO seems to attract a more philosophical audience, I've noticed), but still, it makes very little sense to have two fora that have very similar purposes but merely a different set of readers.

<font color=38e897>Edit: BoB beat me. Meh, woteva.
</font>
Peace
The Man™

Dr Unne
09-22-2002, 07:16 PM
The forums have different atmospheres. EoEO is more serious in nature and not everyone goes there to post. There is a smaller group of people who frequent it. General Chat is much bigger and busier and a lot more people go there. If someone wants a semi-private serious sort of answer to a question they can go to EoEO. If they want lots and lots of opinions in a short period of time they can go to General Chat. Threads in EoEO last longer, threads in General Chat get buried in a day or two. All depends on what the person posting wants. The forums are not interchangeable.

I for one wouldn't appreciate it if I poured my heart out and the first response was "Wrong forum, dork. *moved*".

Yamaneko
09-22-2002, 07:19 PM
It's fine the way it is and has been for quite some time.:p

Loony BoB
09-22-2002, 07:41 PM
General Chat: Quick to get posts, quick to die.

Eyes on Each Other: Slow to get posts, slow to die.

That's the difference. It changes the attitude of posts in the thread that way - there is very little spam, most posts are longer in general, and tend to be more thought out.

Also, EoEO is much more serious, as people up there have already said.

The Man
09-22-2002, 07:55 PM
<font color=38bcee>Fair enough. Okay, I'm done. :aimwink:

Peace
The Man™ <font size=2>

Citizen Bleys
09-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Also bear in mind that Eyes On Final Fantasy is owned lock, stock, and barrel by Sean Robinson, and Sean has ALWAYS said that the placement of a thread in GC or EoEo is up to the person posting the thread and nobody else. Again, people don't want their personal issues being moved to GC where spammers and flamers will get at them.

Sean's done a lot for all of us, and I don't think it's too much to ask to respect his wishes in the ONE and ONLY freaking policy matter that he's ever been absolutely, consistenly solid on.

Nait
09-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bleys Kevorkian
Also bear in mind that Eyes On Final Fantasy is owned lock, stock, and barrel by Sean Robinson, and Sean has ALWAYS said that the placement of a thread in GC or EoEo is up to the person posting the thread and nobody else. Again, people don't want their personal issues being moved to GC where spammers and flamers will get at them.

Sean's done a lot for all of us, and I don't think it's too much to ask to respect his wishes in the ONE and ONLY freaking policy matter that he's ever been absolutely, consistenly solid on.

I'd have to agree, that's some pretty good reason there. Of course we will follow his will, <i>kuinkas muutenkaan?</i>

Citizen Bleys
09-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Are you making fun of me for sounding like a 250 lb albanian woman with PMS?

Loony BoB
09-23-2002, 08:46 PM
Aww, c'mon, he's held to more than just that. Give him some credit.