PDA

View Full Version : Post Colour

The PC Fascist
09-30-2002, 11:59 PM
Yes, on shinra they have a little box in the 'edit profile' section where you can put what colour you want your text to be. For instance; If I put 01a6ff as my colour, all of my text would be this colour.

You dig?

Yamaneko
10-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Yes that would be nice as long as it doesn't include tags of any sort, then I don't care. See I don't like closing your tags for you.

You dig?:D

The Man
10-01-2002, 12:06 AM
It (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19447)'s been discussed before. The answer was no then.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Dr Unne
10-01-2002, 12:30 AM
The answer as far as I'm concerned is still no, unless the rest of the staff disagrees. Just for the purpose of keeping my own sanity intact, and the fact that every post being a different color = hard to read. We tried it once before, the results weren't pretty.

Citizen Bleys
10-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Yeah, we had people who tried it before, and they used dark colors for all their text, making their posts nigh impossible to read.

That was in the days of Acmlm Hack Madness.

Red Wizard
10-01-2002, 02:00 AM
Idea 1: Allow a set list of post colors, all of which are easy to read
Idea 2: Allow admins/mods to ban users who constantly use uneasy to read text from using colored posts.

Either of those should fix any 'dark-text' problems.

The Man
10-01-2002, 02:45 AM
I've always thought that either of Red Wizard's options would be perfectly logical, and I can hardly imagine why people would want to use dark text colours if people told them their text was hard to read in the first place, but either way, there are other objections to the plan, I'm sure. Still, I don't think a banning would be necessary in those cases, since an administrator could with perfect ease set a user's post colour to white if they set it to, say, oh, <font color=00243A>00243A</font>. Still, it would mean more work for the admins, and I can easily see why they wouldn't want to take it on.

Still, if there was a post colour option, I suppose there could be a "Disable Post Colours" option as well, although it might not be particularly easy to implement. That option might very well save people like Unne their sanity, were an administrator to implement said option.

But either way, I don't really care whether we have the addition or not; I can see valid arguments for both sides.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Sakura Yume
10-01-2002, 03:37 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>Note, some people use hard to read colours anyway. The reds are all pretty bad for one...

Dr Unne
10-01-2002, 04:53 AM
We have enough trouble with people blatantly ignoring the sig rules already. I don't look forward to having people blatantly ignore the color rules. Yes, some people already use colors, but most people are fortunately too lazy to use HTML tags in every post, so it's discouraged. If it was easy to do, mostly everyone would do it, and I would go berserk and start killing people soon thereafter. It also involves hacking the vBB, which we generally don't enjoy doing for safety and speed reasons, as well as the fact that it's a lot of effort for something that is not essential.

When we had the colors and post-headers, people did nothing but concentrate on them. We also got a lot of people joining the MB who were shall we say not that concerned about conversation, more concerned about making pretty posts. As it stands we have plenty of mature people here, I think mostly because we DO focus on conversation first and foremost. It doesn't matter at all what your post looks like. It matters what you're saying. When you focus on how your words look on the monitor, you stop thinking so much about what you're saying, and conversation suffers. That's what happened last time. This is also one reason we got rid of the post counts.

Sakura Yume
10-01-2002, 05:09 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>The only reason ~I~ use a colour... is cos it's a bookmark for where I last posted in a thread. *shrugs* I just scroll down and look for my colour and start reading from afterwards.

What Unne said does make perfect sense though. Although it's a nice idea it does have it's flaws. I for one do not want to see fluoro yellow or anything like that...

The Man
10-01-2002, 05:37 AM
One thing I often do find myself wishing - and this is completely unrelated to post headers, but oh well - is that it were possible to custom-define my own style sheet. That's actually pretty much the *only* reason I've stopped using custom font colours - frankly, it's too much work to have to type in &lt;font color=38e897 :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';"&gt; on the inside of every link I ever create. FF:WA allows me to custom-define my style sheet. It's legible, it fits in perfectly with the tags that FF:WA already has, it doesn't interefere with anything, and I hardly have to focus on it at all. I can just find my last post, edit it, copy the style sheet, press control-V in my new post, and go merrily along on my way. All the tags, like &lt;quote] and &lt;ooc], would function perfectly as they are were I able to use the style sheet I use on FF:WA without any custom post parameters, and my links look distinctive and uniquely me.

I don't think an emphasis on pretty post colours should really be created, but I have to say that it can reflect on the poster's individual identity if they create their own style sheet. As Tammy already pointed out, <font color=afeeee>it's rather easy to pick out your own posts when they're coloured differently from everyone else's</font>. Now I can easily see why we wouldn't want every Kefka1217666 who registered to use an individual post colour, especially if it happened to be, say, <font color=black>jet black</font>, but I wouldn't mind having <font color=38bcee>a nice Manly Blue colour automatically inserted into every one of my posts without me having to worry.</font> As it is, I can handle the beginning of the posts quite fine, but every time I get to a link I have to type in the aforementioned lengthy tag, and using my own custom font would be a chore.

It would be nice if there were a custom CSS sheet, based on the user ID (since I'm number 4020, for example, my sheet would number #4020 when defined, and I would access it by &lt;font id=4020&gt;), that could be installed with an administrator or moderator's permission that would enable the use of custom font colors and link styles and all that jazz, just so I wouldn't have had to custom define every link I ever made. Plus, if I wanted to change my colours along with my avatar theme, it would affect every post I'd ever made since the change, not just my new posts.

Of course, I doubt that'll ever happen. It would require more hacking than I want to think about. It would be kew, but in another lifetime.

I understand what Unne says about pretty font colours possibly attracting the wrong kind of people, although I would hardly say that everyone who uses custom font colours here is the wrong kind of person, or that anyone who uses custom font colours here is the wrong kind of person, but I still understand. I'm fine with keeping things the way they are. It would just be really nice to be able to use my own style sheet, regardless, but still, I'm surprised that the administrators at FF:WA allow users to use style sheets as it is, so I'm not askin' for squat. ;)

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Big Ogre Umaro
10-01-2002, 06:04 AM
No, you don't understand.

<i>everyone</i> who uses custom font colors here IS in fact the wrong kind of person.

Express your individuality with your <i>personality</i>. Just type, you bafoon. And stop wearing clothing with funny sayings on it. I know you do.

Seriously, The Man, get your own message board and do this stuff. You'd attract the "Custom" crowd in no time. Go. do it.

Kalen
10-01-2002, 06:23 AM
I likes the plain text. *noddy*

*struts her "Flaming Ass" T-shirt* >=D

Dr Unne
10-01-2002, 06:49 AM
Listen to the BOU, for he is wise. MBs are for meeting other people, not meeting other people's CSS style sheets.

The Man
10-01-2002, 07:20 AM
Pfft. I made my style sheet mostly because I was bored one day, but fine. :p I did pick the colours because I liked them and felt they suited me, though.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Shlup
10-02-2002, 05:46 AM
I liked when we had headers... I got to start all of my posts with a pretty little "Rainbow Brite"! Yay.

Not that I think that would be a good idea, though.

I do think it would be kind of neat if we had headers that could be enabled/disabled the same way as signatures are, but that sounds like a lot of work, and Acmlm is just so far away...

I don't think it's fair to just say 'no' though. I know it's quite possible that the staff's considered it before making a decision, but it seems from my perspective that it's juts been a quick no from everyone because they don't like colors. Well, if there was an enable/disable option, that woudn't be a problem.

Also, if someone had their color already set everytime they went to post, they wouldn't have to worry about it when they posted, rather then thinking "okay, this color goes here, and now close this tag" and such.

I don't know why I'm arguing about it though, because I really don't care.

Dr Unne
10-02-2002, 05:58 AM
As I said, if everyone else disagrees with me, then we'll add them. I'm just giving my opinion.

Shlup
10-02-2002, 10:24 AM
Seems like too much effort... Especially since the people who went to all the work to make the header would just disable it anyway. :p

Dr Unne
10-02-2002, 05:49 PM
It would be no work for me. I wouldn't know how to do such a thing. It'd be tons of work for Bleys because he'd have to write a hack.

Halan
10-02-2002, 06:30 PM
I like the colors that we have now. They are very easy to read and do not cause serious migranes. If you create an option for color changing, then practically everyone will use it, thus creating a multi-colored message board. The color scheme of the boards is fine how it is, and if you add a bunch of nasty colors, then the whole effect will be ruined.

I personally don't like the different colored text because it makes posts more difficult to read the colors often clash with the background, and it makes me think that the person using the color thinks that what they're writing will not be read by others, so they make it a different color so it will stand out. Pssh, let your words do the talking.

Originally posted by Sakura Yume
<font color=#AFEEEE>The only reason ~I~ use a colour... is cos it's a bookmark for where I last posted in a thread. *shrugs* I just scroll down and look for my colour and start reading from afterwards.
</font>

I just use my sig as a bookmark, its different than most people's sigs and I know what it looks like, so I look for it.

Edit: *closes font tag* Gah, thats another problem, everyone that uses color tags never close them, they always leave them open, which is really annoying when someone quotes that person. At least it is for me, because I don't like half of my post being one color and it makes more work for me.

The Man
10-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Halan
I like the colors that we have now. They are very easy to read and do not cause serious migranes. If you create an option for color changing, then practically everyone will use it, thus creating a multi-colored message board. The color scheme of the boards is fine how it is, and if you add a bunch of nasty colors, then the whole effect will be ruined. The idea is that if we have these headers, they will be disable-able, which will allow you not to get a headache.

I personally don't like the different colored text because it makes posts more difficult to read the colors often clash with the background, and it makes me think that the person using the color thinks that what they're writing will not be read by others, so they make it a different color so it will stand out. Pssh, let your words do the talking.I've used different font colours in the past simply because I like to be different from the masses, not because I want the posts to be read by more people, but whatever. :)

Gah, thats another problem, everyone that uses color tags never close them, they always leave them open, which is really annoying when someone quotes that person. At least it is for me, because I don't like half of my post being one color and it makes more work for me. And then there's people like Bleys, who really don't seem to care at all. xD

Some people actually have two unclosed font tags because they want their .sig divider line to be the same colour as their post. Everyone else, though, should close their font tags. I do agree with that.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Loony BoB
10-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Unneccessary in pretty much every way.

MecaKane
10-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Colors am bad. Yes. *admires having default colors on all the messengers on trillian* :D

Citizen Bleys
10-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Mand al'Thor
Pfft. I made my style sheet mostly because I was bored one day, but fine.

Then how come you're incessantly harassing the staff (read: me) to hack the board so that you can have your own custom color and font?

Halan
10-03-2002, 12:13 AM
Your signature is what enables you to stand out from the masses. Is that not enough?

The Man
10-03-2002, 06:46 AM
At certain times, no, I didn't feel it was enough.

And I'm not entirely sure that what I've been doing would qualify as "harassment," especially since I haven't brought up the issue with any form of pressure in quite some time. I was going to leave all my so-called "demands" (which I didn't intend to come out as demands) behind.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Ifrit's Bodyguard
10-08-2002, 02:38 PM
<font color=f43719><font color=f43719>*uses colours*

Mainly I use this colour because I like it and to fit in with the sig image/screen name. I have changed my colour from firebrick to f43719 because of a conversation I had with The Man one night when he said he found my posts hard to read.

yes, I'm also using HTML colour tags so that when I chose to write in white (in an ultra-serious post) I don't want a big red sig looking out of place. The other thing is that with HTML tags you don't get a coloured post/white bar/coloured sig.

Since I'm getting sick of the user name though, I may change it again, I don't know what to do about it just now.

LH
10-22-2002, 12:27 AM
Yeah. He's banned now, so I'm just gonna go ahead and steal his post color.

Dr Unne
10-22-2002, 12:29 AM
...OK.

*close*