PDA

View Full Version : Custom Rank Status.

I Love Shoyku
10-02-2002, 12:10 AM
Alright. Ive been <i>really</i> thinking about this lately, and Ive decided I would give it a shot here. Perhaps the staff will say no to this, but I think this is a good idea. Anyways. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of new people with a custom rank status that I really have never seen before. They will say "Oh I had a old account, and then I came back", and they have a custom rank. A custom rank is for a member that has posted, and been here, and is at least known here at EoFF. I just find it dissapointing that I see some new person with a custom rank, that noone really knows. I remember when I first came here, a custom rank was RARE, but now, everyone has a custom rank. I dont know if its just me, but I think you have to work for that custom rank, and stay here, and post here for 8 months to get a custom rank status. Now, my question is that, is there a certain way, for a person to not get their custom rank, if they leave for a maximum number of months? Like for example, if someone signs up, then leaves without even posting for 5-6 months, then comes back, and posts for another 2 months, then gets a custom rank status, is really not right. Anyways, noone will probably agree with me on this, but it was just an idea, that I hope will come to effect with EoFF in the future.

HOORJ
10-02-2002, 12:18 AM
Maybe they did work for it Chef

I Love Shoyku
10-02-2002, 12:21 AM
Yes, some people do God, but what I am saying is that there are some new people who noones knows, they leave EoFF for like 8 months, come back and they have a custom rank status. That should not be allowed. Meh

Agent Proto
10-02-2002, 12:23 AM
Most of these "new members" with custom titles were registered for 8 months, but rarely post in General Chat. Have you visited some of the Final Fantasy forums? There are more members with Custom titles that have not even visited general chat.

Eternal Sphere
10-02-2002, 12:26 AM
Nah. I don't think that would be a good idea. The custom rank thing is fine the way it is. If the person actually comes back here to post and contribute after a long absence, I don't believe that punishing them makes much sense (to me, at least).

I Love Shoyku
10-02-2002, 12:26 AM
No no no. You guys dont understand. Proto. There are some people WHO DONT come to EoFF at ALL. AT ALL. Then they come back, and get a custom rank status. *sigh* Noones getting my point. Ive failed again.

Yamaneko
10-02-2002, 12:27 AM
It have to be done manualy and I doubt the admins would like to do it that way.

Yeah, I know what you mean Cheffie. I see a lot of custom ranks, but I don't care about custom ranks. A persons presence is felt through their posts not their status.

EDIT: No you haven't, failed that is.:D

Agent Proto
10-02-2002, 12:27 AM
Sure, I understand where you're coming form, are you using Kai Seraph as an example?

I Love Shoyku
10-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Yah, I guess you guys are right. My bad. Just thought that custom rank meant something to people who were here for 8 months. Meh.

Loony BoB
10-02-2002, 12:31 AM
Their posts might've been pruned.

Dr Unne
10-02-2002, 12:39 AM
Custom rank is no big deal. It's just a little word under your name. It's not like it's something you earn. It's just a free gift you get for being here 8 months. Free for everyone no matter how often you post.

Aside from whether we should restrict it, there's the issue of whether it's even possible. We could set it so you need x number of posts to get it, but that promotes people spamming just to get it. We got rid of the post requirement because it attracted spammers and jerks. What's the right level of "work" you need to get it anyways? 500 posts? 1000? 2000? What if you have 500 posts in one month, then leave for 7 months and come back? Should you get it? What if you leave for 7 months, come back and get 500 posts in your 8th month? Should you get it? It would be a nightmare for us to keep track of that junk. And like BoB said, post counts are no longer accurate, or even visible. We want nothing to do with post counts.

Shlup
10-02-2002, 05:53 AM
I know what you mean, Cheffie, but dealing with that would be way too complicated for such a small number of people. And we can't really do anything about post counts, 'cause that always makes people go wacky.

I remember when cutsom rank was based on post count... Everyone would make threads celebrating their 1000th or 2000th post and such. I thought it was pretty fun, but there were a lot less members then and a couple new threads a day was a treat. Gah, imagine the nightmare Gen Chat would be if people were still making "Happy 2000th Post!" threads all the time...

Sakura Yume
10-02-2002, 06:27 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>You have your custom rank now?! Bleh.. I'm so not with it lately... I know what you're getting at... I don't recognise half of the veterans here. I used to know all of them. Meh...

Zell's Fists of Fury
10-02-2002, 07:06 AM
I kinda sorta agree with Chef, but I also realize it can;t be help, so I've grown to accept it.

Shlup
10-02-2002, 10:26 AM
Acctually, if we're going to get into there being too many people with custom ranks, I think the time should be raised. Say... a year? Seeing as most, if not all, of the people over two years are staff or RMs.

So who says it gets raised to a year? :D

Nait
10-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
So who says it gets raised to a year? :D

What about people who have just got their custom rank, or are getting?

Maybe it would work if it'd go like this:

Those who register before the change, if it ever takes place, will have to wait for eight months. Those who register after get to wait a year?

But I'm not sure it would be such a good idea, seems... Discriminative or something. =| Even if it's not such a big deal.

Roogle
10-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Just keep it the way it's always been, because raising the amount of time to get a custom status rank is ridiculous at this point. I think eight months is enough...

LH
10-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Maybe if you guys are intent on changing it (which I doubt you are) the length required to earn on could be proportional to the age of the forums.

Dr Unne
10-02-2002, 05:56 PM
The MB has a nice little box and you type in how long the MB waits before it gives out ranks. Doing it proportionally or doing it only for people who register from now on would be torture for us to keep track of. Raising the limit would also take the ranks away from the people who just hit their eight months recently, unless we went around and found them all and manually enabled them, which would also be torture.

Just remember, you're all newbies compared to BOU. Maybe I should raise the limit to 3 years.

Roogle
10-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Honestly, I don't think changing anything would be feasible if people are going to lose their ranks. That just wouldn't make any sense...

The Man
10-02-2002, 08:39 PM
They're fine the way they are, methinks. I don't really think it's worth worrying over whether ninety percent of the active members on the fora have custom ranks. I don't think that many have them anyway; I don't, mystic ice goddess doesn't, Ferenan doesn't, and all the newbies don't. Yes, I'll agree that the custom rank requirement isn't designed so that people can register, never post, and then come back eight months later to have a custom rank. I don't think anyone does that intentionally, though. There are people who "slip through the cracks," but why should we care? There are so few of them that it really shouldn't matter. Besides, if the only thing that brings them back is the chance to enter their custom rank, at least it brings them back.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Loony BoB
10-02-2002, 09:56 PM
Considering I slag you off all the time, I may aswell take the time aside to say that that was worded well and was pretty kew. I rank that as one of the greatest things ever written by you, Aaron.

Well, I don't really count things said by you, but yeah. *thumbs up*

Citizen Bleys
10-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Mand al'Thor
They're fine the way they are, methinks. I don't really think it's worth worrying over whether ninety percent of the active members on the fora have custom ranks. I don't think that many have them anyway; I don't, mystic ice goddess doesn't, Ferenan doesn't, and all the newbies don't. Yes, I'll agree that the custom rank requirement isn't designed so that people can register, never post, and then come back eight months later to have a custom rank. I don't think anyone does that intentionally, though. There are people who "slip through the cracks," but why should we care? There are so few of them that it really shouldn't matter. Besides, if the only thing that brings them back is the chance to enter their custom rank, at least it brings them back.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

*applauds*

That's what I would have said, if I weren't so cranky. So instead I'll just say ":skull::skull::skull::skull: off" and you can expand that to what The Man said.

Del Murder
10-03-2002, 12:36 AM
Ok, that post makes up for the one in the 'Posts' thread.

Ranks are ranks.

Shlup
10-03-2002, 06:43 AM
I wasn't suggesting that seriously, I just wanted to hear people go "no, no,no!" :D

Cz
10-03-2002, 08:25 PM
It would be nice to see a different system in place. But to make it work, it would take a lot of work, and it's really not worth it. If you really want to reward people for loyalty, you'd give them something substantial, such as access to a special 'spamfest 3000' forum.

Citizen Bleys
10-04-2002, 04:07 PM
If we create a spamfest 3000 forum, I'm resigning.

Del Murder
10-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Dang.

Spuuky
10-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
If we create a spamfest 3000 forum, I'm resigning. I propose the creation of a spamfest 3000 forum.

The Man
10-04-2002, 10:42 PM
<font color=38bcee><font face="Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif">And as a compromise, we can disable post counts in it! Oh, wait; post counts are disabled everywhere else already. Dang... ;)

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Cz
10-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Did I say spamfest? I meant Praiseadminfest. Yeah, that sounds like something I would say.

*Bats eyes*

Citizen Bleys
10-05-2002, 01:17 PM
If we make an admin-praising forum, I'm banning everybody who posts in it.

Loony BoB
10-05-2002, 01:18 PM
*praises Bleys here instead, just to spite him*

Agent Proto
10-06-2002, 01:37 AM
*declares this thread the <i>Praiseadminfest</i> Thread*

Del Murder
10-06-2002, 07:58 AM
In that case, Bleys is cool.

Cz
10-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Is it just me, or is Bleys going to ban people/resign/jump off a bridge no matter what?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-06-2002, 01:32 PM
It's prettymuch the best entertainment you can find in Canada since Arlibido broke up.

Citizen Bleys
10-06-2002, 01:33 PM
*tries to ban BoB and Del Murder, bans self by accident*

:skull::skull::skull::skull:

MecaKane
10-06-2002, 05:58 PM
*praises other admins since Bleys is too banned to see this*
Bwaha :greenie:

Tokki Wartooth
10-08-2002, 01:27 AM
Who cares? Custom ranks are nothing. Don't make such a big deal out of it. Xp

Zypher
10-08-2002, 09:18 PM
...she said, absently admiring her own custom rank.

Peegee
10-31-2002, 03:49 AM
In regards to Cheffie's original post, the only way that can happen is if we 'banned' inactive members every few months, which is just stupid.

Although it makes some sense at the same time :D

Lionx
11-13-2002, 06:37 AM
I go here once in awhile though i dont post too much. I never cared too much about the custom rank really. Its just for fun. But as for banning ppl that dont come here for a while, no. Its really pointless.

(very spammy thread ne? Shame on you mods and admins.:D )

Citizen Bleys
11-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by lionx
(very spammy thread ne? Shame on you mods and admins.:D )

We may be mods and admins, but first we are members of Eyes On Final Fantasy. The reason that we work as hard as we do for the members is that we are members.

We're allowed to have fun, just like any other member. I see no reason why Staff should have to stop being people just to be Staff.

Lionx
11-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Er if u didnt know that i put that smiley there in the end implying it as a joke then well......ok....in any case just replying i am spamming....weee spam.....ok enough...:eep:

I Love Shoyku
11-13-2002, 09:39 PM
Yoiks, Bleys, LionX was joking. o_O

crono_logical
11-14-2002, 12:31 AM
There really was a Jo King back at my high school :) Though Jo was the shortened form of her full name, Joanne. Of course, say her full name fast (Joanne King), and you get another dodgy joke there :p

I Love Shoyku
11-14-2002, 10:29 AM
Ok, this really isn't on topic now, so please close the thread.

Citizen Bleys
11-14-2002, 01:43 PM
*points to announcement about Member Moderation*

Del Murder
11-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Bleys is right. Consider this your warning.

Shlup
11-17-2002, 10:05 AM
*bans Del*

Knock it off, bean head.

Cz
11-17-2002, 12:24 PM
This isn't spiralling out of control. Nope. Not at all.

EDIT: Hi there. I just thought I'd edit a random post, for the hell of it. If you ever find this, consider yourself lucky that you have too much time on your hands. -BM121 (2nd November 2003)

EDIT 2: I was randomly browsing, and by some astonishing fluke, I actually found my own message! I have way too much time on my hands. -BM121 (2nd July 2004)

<B>EDIT 3: Boo! ;) - Murder (Aug 17 05)</b>

EDIT 4: :eek: -BM121 (3rd March 2006)