PDA

View Full Version : *printscreen*

m4tt
10-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Is there any way to take screenshots of stuff like Realplayer, or Windows Media Player?

I wanted to take a screenshot of a movie file I have, but every time I try, the screen is blank.

crono_logical
10-03-2002, 06:11 PM
The reason why it's blank is because videos aren't drawn on the main video screen as such, but rather in a different layer to make drawing them faster.

THe best way I've found is to disable DirectX video to force it to draw on the main screen so it can be screenshotted.

Go to Start, Run, and type "dxdiag" in the box, then OK. On the Display tab, disable everything, say ok, then restart the video player. Remember to re-enable everything after screenshotting though, otherwise some programs (mostly full screen games) won't work anymore :p And make sure the games aren't running either when you try to disable the video stuff, or you might get errors :p

m4tt
10-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Cool, I'll try that out. :D

Edit: Haw, it worked. You rule beyond drool, cl. ;x

Citizen Bleys
10-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Heh. I just open up the video file in VirtualDub, select ONE frame, and save it as a "sequence" of BMP files.

crono_logical
10-04-2002, 05:01 PM
I know, but that's kinda hard when VirtualDub can't read RealMedia files :p

Dr Unne
10-04-2002, 06:52 PM
There are some programs that will capture screenshots of directx programs. download.com has some.

m4tt
10-05-2002, 03:30 AM
I got one of those programs, works pretty well. :)