PDA

View Full Version : An Idea to Help Semi-Obsessive-Compulsive People Like Me Clean Out Their PM Boxes!

The Man
10-07-2002, 05:00 PM
<font color=38bcee><font face=tahoma,verdana,sans-serif>FF:WA has a feature that allows the conversion of selected messages, complete with important info like sender, sending timel, recipient, and vB and HTML codes, to a single text file. The extremely cool part of this feature is that you can do this with the entire contents of your Inbox at once, or the entire contents of your Sent Items at once, thus minimising the amount of agony needed to obsessively-compulsively catalogue every Private Message you ever receive or send on Eyes on Final Fantasy.

Would you be interested in implementing this at EoFF? If so, I'll get someone from FF:WA's staff, probably Tau, in contact with someone from EoFF's administrative staff. I don't think it should be a particularly difficult feature to implement, and I can imagine it doing some people a lot of good.

Just a thought.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Dr Unne
10-07-2002, 06:05 PM
It seems like a good idea. It seems like all that would be involved is some kind of database query. Maybe we could write our own script to do something like this. We, as in someone other than me, because I don't know SQL. Or someone else can talk to that FFWA guy. If another admin wants to do it, I'm in favor. It would get people to empty their PM boxes, which would save server space. Backing up PMs is tedious right now, I would agree. I have had to do so myself.

The Man
10-07-2002, 06:17 PM
<font color=38bcee><font face=tahoma,verdana,sans-serif>Okay, I'll PM Tau and ask him either to talk with one of the admins or to explain in a response how the feature was implemented. I'm kinda thinking about setting my own board up eventually anyway when I have time, and I'd like to have the same feature myself, so the PM response might make more sense since it wouldn't require two explanations, but I don't know crap about the technical side of running vBulletin boards yet, so maybe it would make more sense for whoever conducts the chat to send the log to me.

Whatever additional information I get will be passed on.

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Loony BoB
10-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Very good proposal. *nods*

The Man
10-07-2002, 08:27 PM
<font color=38bcee>Thanks, BoB. :)

Tau got my PM on FF:WA, so I'm hoping he'll contact an administrator on EoFF soon. We'll see what happens.

Peace
Mand al'Thor<font size=2>

Nait
10-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Holy Mother of Väinämöinen, this is cause for celebration...

May I present you, ladies and gentlemen, the new heir of Impossible Things That Happen Anyway...

<i>The Proposal The Man Made In The Feedback Forum Which Wasn't Shot Down By The Moderators Immediately Because It Was Such A Good Proposal The Third!</i> *corks the champagne* Whoo! Lookit go! *clirr*

The Man
10-07-2002, 09:07 PM
R (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19278)a (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20468)w (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21811)r (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24730).

Peace
Mand al'Thor

Yamaneko
10-07-2002, 10:37 PM
Good. Now I might delete some of my PM's that have been their since I've joined.:D

Good work.:)

MecaKane
10-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Yah, but those wern't all that good, or helpfull. Excpt for the spoiler one. << >>

Big Ogre Umaro
10-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Tau's a fine bloke.

Del Murder
10-08-2002, 01:11 AM
You people actually have 300 pms worth saving? 300 pms that you will actually read again?

Query: Do you folks go around with tape recorders recording every conversation you have with your friends every day? Do ya?

That aside, sounds like a good idea.

Yamaneko
10-08-2002, 01:16 AM
I don't, but I know The Man has, probably most of the Cid's Knights and a lot of the members do.

Plus by doing this, this will free space on the server. Much needed space.

I heard they do that in college.

Loony BoB
10-08-2002, 01:24 AM
*raises hand* I have had over that many PM's worth saving.

Killy
10-08-2002, 01:27 AM
You should know that since he receives so many PMs, keeping some of them could be usefull, but since theres so many, saving them all is easier. Anyway, if this is implented, I will be really happy.

The Man
10-08-2002, 03:16 AM
<font color=38bcee>
Originally posted by Del Murder
You people actually have 300 pms worth saving? 300 pms that you will actually read again?More like 450. Some of them are already saved on my computer.

Originally posted by Yamaneko
I don't, but I know The Man has, probably most of the Cid's Knights and a lot of the members do.I'm amused at being mentioned before the Cid's Knights, for some reason. :D

And yeah, it's a lot easier to do "select all messages - download" and save the result to your hard drive than it is to right-click each individual link, catalogue each message by user and sending date and subject and GRAAAAAH *pulls hair out*

Peace

Big Ogre Umaro
10-08-2002, 03:43 AM
Not to mention the fact that you have to wash your hands for five minutes with AcidBurn<sup>TM</sup> Antibacterial Soap after downloading each message.

Del Murder
10-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Yamaneko
I heard they do that in college.
Thank you for that one.

*copies this thread into his 2.8gb archive of every reply he's ever gotten ever*

Citizen Bleys
10-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Get buddy to email me the relevant files/info at taoist2103@hotmail.com since I'll be the admin implementing this.

Don't bother trying to send anything to citizenbleys@eyesonff.com, @eyesonff.com mail is still down last time I checked.

Killy
10-09-2002, 01:47 AM
Bigmailbox can be pain in the behind sometimes.When I got to use a mailbox there the first time, I noticed how unsafe it was. I looked at it the other day, its better, but still unsafe. I tried something the other day (no hacking or anything, I only used the page as it is supposed to be used) about password recovery. Its a lot better now. I used bigmailbox before. And I had to get my password back. I used the form and they asked me a question (one that I made), if I answered it right I could get the password. So if someone knew me enough, he could answer it and gain acess to my e-mails. That is not bad, for a Webmaster, it is.

Its better now, but I still disaprove Bigmailbox, I had my box stolen and someone sent weird e-mails to my friends, nothing bad, but no more bigmailbox for me.

Sakura Yume
10-09-2002, 05:47 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>Great idea! *obsessive-compulsive* Too bad it didn't come earlier... I deleted about 100 PMs the other day. >.< I still saved quite a few though... some from my newbie days.

The Man
10-09-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Sakura Yume
Great idea! *obsessive-compulsive* Too bad it didn't come earlier... I deleted about 100 PMs the other day. >.< I still saved quite a few though... some from my newbie days. <font color=38bcee>Ack. Sorry about the timing. >=\

I'm going to post a thread on FF:WA today, because I haven't gotten a PM in response. I can't do it at the moment, though, because I've got to get off the computer.

Edit: Here's <font color=38e897 :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';">the thread</font> (http://www.ffwa.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24584). It looks as though there's a simple hack that can be downloaded from vBulletin, although it requires a license to download it. If no one else is able to do so, I'll be getting a license this weekend or the following week, I think. I don't have the exact link, but I'd imagine a small amount of searching in vBulletin's fora would be adequate to find the hack. We shall see.

Peace

Dr Unne
10-09-2002, 05:54 PM
We have a license, or else we couldn't run a vBB. That'd be illegal.

The Man
10-09-2002, 06:00 PM
<font color=38bcee>I knew you had a license somewhere, but I didn't know if anyone had the access code anymore; I was rather under the impression, from the amount of time it took people to prune, that no one did. Anyhow, the hack should be available at <font color=38e897 :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';">vbulletin.org</font> (http://www.vbulletin.org).

Oh, and apparently, there's a <font color=38e897 :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='7eb7ed';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='38e897';">way to limit the size of users' signatures</font> (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=293717#post293717). I found that out while searching for info on the PM download hack. I was confused and thought the hack was on the vBulletin.com fora. :-\

Peace

Shlup
10-09-2002, 08:58 PM
I have this thing, it's called "a brain," that stores all the things I remember for me. It's really convenient. You guys should look into getting one.

(Yes, I realize that sounds very insulting, but I said it anyway, so nyar. XP)

Killy
10-09-2002, 10:27 PM
B-Rain? Whats that, I want one!

I tough that the Admins didnt want to hack the MB, did I miss something, did they change their mind?

Dr Unne
10-10-2002, 12:45 AM
Bleys'll have to look over the download thing before/if he decides to install it. Hacks = bad in general, yes. I hope people aren't going to start suggesting tons of hacks again, because it hain't gonna happen. Bleys's in charge though.

Citizen Bleys
10-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Scottie'll have to download it; I don't have EoFF's license information, and BP's is expired.