PDA

View Full Version : While We're On The Subject...

Rainecloud
10-09-2002, 05:36 PM
While we're on the subject from another thread here in this very forum, perhaps you can help me out. A friend of mine has recently changed his graphics card to a PCI card. Previously, he was using a built-in AGP card to run his games, which was quite crap. The AGP card was uninstalled and disabled, and the new PCI card was put in. The computer wouldn't recognise the card, so he ventured into the BIOS and changed his settings to use the PCI slot on his computer. The screen went blank, and he hasn't been able to use it since.

Problem. Answers?

Squally Leonharty
10-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Why isn't he just using an AGP card? Gee, PCI is worse than AGP (graphic cards only, though). No wonder he gets problems. :p

Anyway... Is it put in properly? That's the first thing you have to check. A lot of people make that mistake.

Secondly, does it have enough power and is it compatible with his computer?

Finally, if none of above work, try the following:
- Move it to a different PCI slot.
- Make sure it's not sharing too much IRQ bandwidths (PCI cards tend to do that a lot, because the data transfer is less effective than that of an AGP card). Leave it on one IRQ if possible. The maximum is one IRQ every two PCI cards (more is possible, but not recommended).
- Get rid of the PCI card and get an AGP one. :D

Rainecloud
10-09-2002, 07:19 PM
Get rid of the PCI card and get an AGP one.

Done. :D

Squally Leonharty
10-09-2002, 07:44 PM
And? Does it work now? :D

Rainecloud
10-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Yes, it does. Well, it took a little help from my Belgian friend.

Squally Leonharty
10-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Alrighty, glad it works. :D

Rainecloud
10-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Good. Now all he needs is a decent one. *cough*16 meg card*cough*