PDA

View Full Version : I need a decent firewall.

Loony BoB
10-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Preferably one that I don't have to pay lots of money for (read: freeware that I can download).

Could you give me a few good leads?

Squally Leonharty
10-14-2002, 08:09 PM
www.tinysoftware.com

Download the freeware one. :p

crono_logical
10-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Of course, that's not the easiest to use, especially for someone not too accustomed to computers - but it's darn get when you do know how to configure it :p

Loony BoB
10-14-2002, 09:27 PM
I'd like one that I can still do stuff in. But I don't think I'll be able to set up that one apparently ;_; (see below for why).

Loony_BoB: Do you use a firewall?
cl_out: of course xD
Loony_BoB: Paid for?
cl_out: With a fast internet connection and permanently, if someone hacked, they could do it quickly xD
cl_out: no, downloaded a free one
Loony_BoB: What one? =D
Loony_BoB: *needs one*
cl_out: Tiny Personal Firewall
cl_out: Dunno if it exista anymore on the net
Loony_BoB: Ah, same as Skwowwy's suggestion =P
Loony_BoB: Ace.
cl_out: It's probably changed to a 30 day trial under a new name xD
Loony_BoB: If both of you have it, it MUST be good.
cl_out: I dunno if it's the one for you though
Loony_BoB: ?
cl_out: Because it's complicated to setup
cl_out: You have to know about what programs need what access, on what port numbers, and to what servers
Loony_BoB: Oooh =(
Loony_BoB: I wish I was smart.
cl_out: xD
cl_out: Only thing it's incapable of is killing connections, that's one I'd like
Loony_BoB: So should I get a firewall? =/
cl_out: Yes xD
Loony_BoB: Then what kind? =o
cl_out: maybe www.zoealarm.com
cl_out: typo
cl_out: xd
cl_out: www.zonealarm.com
Loony_BoB: What's the difference between them?
cl_out: That's more for home users, the free version of it
cl_out: Much easier to set up
cl_out: Of course, it also means less flexibility, but it's good enough for the average person
Loony_BoB: >_< Gah. The one thing I don't want is some lame firewall that disallows me from doing things all the time.
cl_out: xD
cl_out: That's the problem with simple ones, they can be too restrictive at times
Loony_BoB: ...aww, I dunno then.

Killy
10-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Ive heard good things about ZoneAlarm. If nothing else works, use 2 of them, I dont use one myself so it might be impossible.

Seifer
10-15-2002, 01:58 AM
I use Zone Alarm. It's not that bad. It doesn't disallow you to do things. You just use the check boxes to set what you want to access the internet and what you don't want to access the internet. You can also set it up so it just asks you if you want it to access the internet or not. That's usually the default setting anyway.

Big Ogre Umaro
10-15-2002, 03:15 AM
ZoneAlarm works just fine for the likes of us, BoBo.

crono_logical
10-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Black Ninja
Ive heard good things about ZoneAlarm. If nothing else works, use 2 of them, I dont use one myself so it might be impossible. I would not suggest using 2 firewalls on the same PC, since they tend to interfere with each other, and end up doing unexpected stuff :p

Loony BoB
10-15-2002, 05:31 PM
I got that ZoneAlarm thing. It's okay. Y'no, I never realised how untelligent I was until the past few weeks when I've spent half my time chatting to Skwowwy and clout >=P

Squally Leonharty
10-15-2002, 05:52 PM
Heh, it's all ok. :) You'll learn new things everyday. :p I do, too. Every day is always different. :D