PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem

Spuuky
10-17-2002, 09:20 AM
I'm honestly not sure if this goes in Help or Feedback. It's an EoFF thing, and I think it's a problem. When I click on a link, now, say, to go into GC from the forum index page, it doesn't just go there. It actually loads 2 ad pages immediately prior to that, for some reason, and THEN goes to GC. This is unnoticeably on the screen, but if I look at my immedate history, there's 2 pages between the index and GC. It's especially obvious, since I have to press "back" 3 times to reach the index again. Why is this? It was never the case before, and I'm not sure why the ads don't just load as part of the next page I'm going to, rather than an intermediate page between them.

These pages do nothing but either send information to Gamesquad or get ad information from Gamesquad, and they're really irritating.

Now that I think about it, they must be downloading information about the banners, and failing, because the banners are constantly a "page not found" error now, for me.

Nemesis the Warlock
10-17-2002, 10:24 AM
I get the "page not found" error on all the banners, too.

Dr Unne
10-17-2002, 01:21 PM
It used to do that for me too. Eventually they changed the ad code or something and it stopped doing that. It's just a screwy ad problem. We can't do anything about it really.

Some non-IE browsers (Opera) let you disable all frames or IFRAMES. That kills all banners. (And all sites with frames). Another thing you can do is go to Security in IE's Internet Options in the Tools menu, and disable Active Scripting. That also pretty much kills the ad banners (and all sites with scripting). There's a trick crono_logical posted in the Help Forum once about using Windows' hosts file to cause banners to load from your HD instead of a remote server, thus killing them. You might look for that thread.