PDA

View Full Version : So who's the main character?

Lord Chainsaw
10-22-2002, 03:35 AM
Who do you think the main character is? This is a very original game in that it is extremely hard to determine the true main character.

I think the main character is Celes. The storyline starts off circling Terra, but it grows in favor of Celes. The story sprouts around her. The opera house, Locke, Setzer, The Empire. The entire World of Ruin is based off of Celes.

This is a tough one, but who do you think the main character is, and why?

MoogleRush
10-22-2002, 04:57 AM
I've always thought of Terra as the main character since the whole story starts from her.

Spuuky
10-22-2002, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't agree that the WoR is based on Celes. I'd say you start with her, but she has no more influential role in the WoR than any other character. In fact, I'd say she's more important in the FIRST half of the game than in the second.

Zypher
10-22-2002, 06:37 AM
I'm going to go with 'there isn't really one.' I think if anyone, it's Terra, but she just kind of leads into the story of the Espers* and the group as a whole. Same with Celes in the WoR. The story starts out with her, but it's not really about her alone.

Lord Nathor
10-22-2002, 04:50 PM
my ass! No, really, both Terra and Celes are... that's it, that's all!

Sefie1999AD
10-22-2002, 04:58 PM
I'm the main character of Final Fantasy VI! No, wait a minute, edczxcvbnm, the famous FF6 hater, is the main character! Seriously talking though, I don't think anyone is the main character, but if I had to choose, I'd take Tina/Terra if I used her the most at WoR. Because starring both WoB and WoR only would make her the main character.

m4tt
10-22-2002, 05:10 PM
I don't think there is one real main character. The game starts with Terra being the focal point, then it moves onto Celes, then it moves onto everyone. That's what I think anyway.

Meldon
10-22-2002, 08:16 PM
i dont think there is a main character either, for reasons already posted

Invincible
10-23-2002, 02:47 AM
The story is focused on Terra in the WOB, the final battle, and the ending].

The only time in the WOR that it's focused on Celes is at the beginning of the WOR. When you get Setzer, you get the airship and can do what ever when ever. In a way you could say the he is the main character b/c he provides the "key to success."

So ultimately, I would say it is Terra. I was actually kind of mad that they didn't require her in the WOR since she plays a big part in the beginning, [SPOILER] final battle, and ending. I also thought that they should have had to see how she finds love.

Nemesis the Warlock
10-23-2002, 06:37 PM
I always thought of Celes as the main character. She gets to gather the party in the world of ruins. It's not just the part with her on the island, I thought. Her theme tune is very prominent throughout the game, she gets to have the romantic love-story, and a lot of character development that is typical of RPG protagonists, like originally fighting for the wrong side, getting wrongly accused, etc.

However, I was tempted to vote for Lord Chainsaw's ass...

Psychotic
10-23-2002, 06:43 PM
General Leo was on the poll. WHY?

anyway, I personally think that Gogo is the main character and was quite upset at his/her non-appearance in this poll :rolleyes2
Seriously though, there is NO main character.

Edgar
10-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Terra is not the main character. She didn't play much of a BIG part at the ending...it just that she remains as a human instead of an Esper and increasing knowledge for us to know what will happen to Half-Espers like Terra. Note that Terra is skeptical of her abilities at the start, unlike all main characters who were confident the whole game. Terra IS the main character because she holds the key to the Returners success (or so they thought.)

Locke IS the main character because he, like most main characters, have a girlfriend (ok, make that two). He is also the main character because he simply seemed to be the leader of every journey (making him a big cast in WoB), In the WoR however, his role reduced to just a...thief?

The support characters (they helped greatly and plays a decently good prat in the game) are: Edgar and his Figaro castle, Setzer and his airship (reputition increases in WoR).

Celes is just a character for Locke, to increase the love scene in FFVI. Shadow just increases the secrets of a family, which seemed rather amazing. Relm, like Shadow, and Strago is just ... well... he led the party to the statues.

GAU may be an important character considering the "shining treasure" that he found. :/

Sabin help to make the battle system more interesting. Cyan is for those gamers who loved Katanas (Masamune).:tongue:

chionos
10-26-2002, 07:12 AM
the great thing about ffvi was that there was no main character, plain and simple.

Mo-Nercy
10-26-2002, 10:13 AM
It was between Celes of Terra for me. I voted Celes just because I like her better.

Edgar
10-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Celes is definately out, seriously. I can't believe that she is actually voted. :(...

Celes in WoR does not assemble the group. After meeting Sabin, Terra and Setzer, her role as the WoR main character became more and more slim.

Did anyone realized that?:mog: :mog:

I always thought of Celes as the main character. She gets to gather the party in the world of ruins. It's not just the part with her on the island, I thought. Her theme tune is very prominent throughout the game, she gets to have the romantic love-story, and a lot of character development that is typical of RPG protagonists, like originally fighting for the wrong side, getting wrongly accused, etc.
No.1: She did NOT intend to gather the party. She wants Locke (remember she thought of commiting suicide after Cid died. She did not think of the party but of Locke). Setzer (or whoever, can't remember) suggested gathering the party.

No.2: Terra's theme tune is heard more than Celes'

No. 3: She gets to have the love story but that's because Squaresoft decided that Terra should not to be loved yet as it will do terrible things to the game. So, to introduce the love part early (to make the story better), they indroduced Celes and having a general of the Empire in the Returner's hands is useful, so Squaresoft started giving her good storyline so as to go along with the game (Squaresoft is ingenious :love:)

However, I was tempted to vote for Lord Chainsaw's ass...
Ok...that's a wierd vote :/

Lord Chainsaw
10-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Uh oh. My ass is closing the gap on Terra! Can the powers of my ass ever be stopped? Or has the FF6 world finally realized the importance of my rectum?

Yunalesca
11-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
Uh oh. My ass is closing the gap on Terra! Can the powers of my ass ever be stopped? Or has the FF6 world finally realized the importance of my rectum?

...!!!!! xD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think...actually, I duno what I think =P

~Yunalesca~

Sephex
11-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Well sir, I believe my ass is the main character.

Edgar Roni-Figaro
11-07-2002, 11:38 PM
The main character is Locke, he makes promises between the two main women and plays a major role in both the WOB and WOR

The Man
11-08-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Zypher
I'm going to go with 'there isn't really one.' I think if anyone, it's Terra, but she just kind of leads into the story of the Espers* and the group as a whole. Same with Celes in the WoR. The story starts out with her, but it's not really about her alone. I couldn't have said it better myself, especially since Celes doesn't really have much of a role after Setzer joins the party. If anyone is the main character, I'd have to say Terra would be, however; the story gives her more time in the spotlight than it gives any of the other characters. Often, she's important even when absent.

Peace
Aaron

Invincible
11-08-2002, 03:44 AM
In the ending It ends with "AND YOU" when they go through the list of characters. So maybe they are implying that you are the main character. I voted Terra originally, but I guess "My Ass" would also have to be true.

The Man
11-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Invincible
In the ending It ends with "AND YOU" when they go through the list of characters. So maybe they are implying that you are the main character. I voted Terra originally, but I guess "My Ass" would also have to be true. Good point. ;)

Peace
Aaron

Hatu
11-18-2002, 03:35 PM
It must be Mog, but you can't vote it :mog:

MoogleRush
11-19-2002, 04:37 AM
I wish it was Mog. We'll probably never see an FF or a game with a moogle as a main character. :mog:

Captain Maxx Power
11-23-2002, 09:03 PM
FF's don't have to have a main character. As far as I know, FF1, FF3, FF5 and (of course) FF6 don't really have a central character. It's so square can bring all of the character's into equal focus, concentrating on developing all of the character's personalities, which in my opinion is better.

DWARKYZIDEZ
11-28-2002, 08:26 AM
Terra,hands down,because she's the

SPOILER!!!!!!
And Esper and a human's child

Denmark
11-29-2002, 01:37 AM
It's definitely Terra, because:
[list=1]
The beginning of the game is centered around Terra
Terra is the character who can communicate with the espers, making her powers essential to both the Empire and the Returners
I didn't want to vote for Lord Chainsaw's ass
[/list=1]

Besides, Terra is cooler than Celes.

Shadow Jack
11-29-2002, 11:34 AM
I would either say, no one, Edgar or Terra.
Not Locke or Celes, I reckon Shadow or Setzer are more important.
Actually now that I think of it, i think Shadow is.
Cya, Jack

Giggles
12-01-2002, 07:39 PM
I've never really thought about who the main character is before....very good question!!! my first thought was Terra, but the game has so many main characters! I think i will stick with Terra, although i'm not too sure about my choice!

Advent Child
12-02-2002, 12:26 AM
terra. in my opinion it doesn't really matter though. I dislike analyzing things to death, so I'm just gonna say the characer you start with is the main character.

Scorpz
12-02-2002, 09:22 PM
If you think about it almost every character except for Mog, Gau, Umaro, Gogo, Stratgo, Relm, and Shadow could be the main character. Th whole game revolves around every character and comes back to each throught it. Like with Terra at the begining and end. Celes in the WoR and @ the magitek factory, Locke in Phoenix Cave and having the love intrest with Celes. Or Edgar and Sabin having a conflict over Figaro Kingdom and the fate of each other.

Espergirl
02-10-2003, 04:42 PM
In my opinion Terra is the main character in FFVI...But sadly she wasn't "officialy" the main character in FFVI...That's why you can interpret it as FFVI having no main character. But if you really think about...Terra is similiar to the other FF's protagonists like Cecil, Cloud, etc...She was looking for her real identity and confronts her heritage just like the other FF main characters. And without Terra, FFVI's plot would make no sense at all. And about the fact that you can choose not to have her in your party for the final fight...You can also choose not to have Squall in your party for the final fight in FFVIII and in the PC version of FFVII (only in the PC version and not in the PSX version), you can also choose not to have Cloud in your party for the final fight. Though I do admit that in the WOR, Celes was more important than Terra...So I would say that Terra is the first most important character and Celes is the second most important character in FFVI...

nova
02-12-2003, 06:42 AM
why did nobody say kefka?? i think he is the main character because he does more than anybody else.

Chrisrj
04-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Like most of you, I chose Terra.

But I wouldn't say Shadow, Strago & Relm weren't relevant to the storyline either. They say that Blue Mages were always hunted, and if you rescued Shadow at the end of the battles on the Floating Continent and get him in the WoR, (SPOILER)
have him in the party when you rest at an inn, and every few times, he'll dream about his past, which would include something about a lady who may/may not be Relm's mother.

But other than that, my vote goes to Terra. Her music is often heard through the game, and I also like what Celes asks about her on the airship before they meet Kefka.

playaGAW
04-14-2003, 02:22 AM
There is no main chracter the gajme centers around all of them and you can put any of them in that place.

Terra: half human half esper contacts espers and is the first chracter you play

Locke: Part of the returners saves Terra and is key to the Returners. He also makes Celes want to look for everyone

Edgar: King of a country against the empire key to Returners

Sabin: Helps Celes find evryone and thinks empire killed father

Setzer: He provides the airship and comes up with the idea to gather everybody

Cyan: Has hate against Kefka and he tells you where Gau is

Mog: Ramuh came to him in a dream. He is also key to alliying Umaro

Gau: Shows you how to get through the Serpent Trench

Celes: General of the empire and knows Kefka better than any other chracter

Strago: Tells you about the magic statues. Relm's grandfather

Relm: Saves you from Ultros and paints a picture that gives a clue of Locke's wherabouts

Shadow: Gives mystery element of game and helps you espape from the island( I also heard he's Relm's grandfdather I don't since I missed the dreams because I didn't wait for him so I never saw the dreams I'm wait next time I replay the game)

Gogo: Lends his power to help your party stop Kefka

Umaro: Beats things up

Mattokenzi
04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
I think kefka is the main character (don't jump to conclusions yet) think about it he wanted power yes I know he is evil he wanted to be the powerful man in the world by using magic and make people full down to his feet and the empire using Terra as a tool.

the blitzer
04-18-2003, 04:22 PM
THE GAME MAINLY FOCUS ON TERRA I THINK. SO I THINK ITS HER. CELES WOULD I THINK IS THE SECOND MAIN CHARICTER.

Behold the Void
07-12-2003, 07:45 AM
I'd say that the main characters are Locke, Terra, Edgar, and Celes, simply because they can all hold the Illumina, the strongest weapon in the game.

tchuppskilla
12-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Terra beggins with the story , but the hole reason for the game to continue is kefka , without him you would've stayed in WoB forever !

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Don't dig up ancient threads. Start a new one if you want to discuss the same topic.