PDA

View Full Version : Why do oekakis hate me? ;_; (in need of Java help)

Emerald Aeris
10-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Alright, I'm a big fan of these things... I used to draw on 'em all the time. But since my last reformat.. I've been unable to display the java needed to draw anymore. ;_; Some Java still works, like simple scripts and whatnot, but white boards, drawing boards, oekakis and the like won't work. >_< I've enabled Java in my browser, tried downloading files from support sites.. Everything it seems. ;_; Check the attachment to see what the error is like.. It's not really an error. It says "done" at the bottom, it just doesn't show up. Not even an error when I run my mouse over the script.

If anyone can help I would be VERY grateful. >_<

crono_logical
10-27-2002, 09:18 PM
That symbol means the browser was unable to draw the image for some reason. Try downloading java from sun.java.com , that's the one I'm using on my PC since I had problems with the default Microsoft one too.

Emerald Aeris
10-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Ah, thanks.. but the downloads at the site time out before even starting every time. >_<

Dr Unne
10-28-2002, 12:58 AM
The downloads at Sun's site? I also recommend downloading Sun's version of Java. It tends to work far far better than MS's semi-Java. Sun should have tons of mirrors from which you can download the Java Plugin.

Emerald Aeris
10-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Nope.. Sun's doesn't work. :( Says it times out trying to connect to a gateway. Tried the manual install too.. same thing. >_<

http://java.sun.com/getjava/installer.html is where I'm trying, is that the right place? I'm not real knowlegable in this area. X_x

Dr Unne
10-29-2002, 12:44 AM
You can go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html and use the link in the Windows row, in the JRE column. JRE = Java Runtime Environment. That'll give you a ton of stuff besides the Java Virtual Machine (the JRE lets you run standalone Java programs in addition to applets for example), but it does give you the JVM too, so if you download and install that you'll be OK. Either that or just wait for that link you were trying before to work. Though I don't know why it wouldn't work. I never really tried that link. I always just get the JRE.

Emerald Aeris
10-29-2002, 02:07 AM
Same thing. :( Time's out because the server's "unreachable". I suppose I just need to wait then. Thanks a lot. ^^

Dr Unne
10-29-2002, 02:17 AM
There should be tons of mirrors listed though. Can you get to a list of mirrors?

Emerald Aeris
10-29-2002, 02:40 AM
Nope. I click the j2re-1_4_1_01-windows-i586.exe file, and a window comes up.. but never starts to download. It beeps up a little while later with an error saying it couldn't connect.

crono_logical
10-29-2002, 07:23 AM
Weird, works for me, and very fast too. I don't get any new windows though, everything happens in the current one. Maybe you've got a download accelerator ruining something so needs to be disabled for now?

Emerald Aeris
10-29-2002, 12:12 PM
>_< nope.. no download accelerators. Bah. This sucks. *kicks her computer*

Endless
10-29-2002, 04:08 PM
Tell me exactly which file you want to get, and I'll set up a mirror for you, or send it over aim/irc.

Emerald Aeris
10-29-2002, 08:06 PM
Oh wow. o_o Thanks so much!

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

There, and it's the JRE file under windows. ^^

Spuuky
10-30-2002, 06:36 AM
Sun's version freezes my computer at random, for abotu 10 seconds, and then goes back to normal. I don't even have to be doing anything involving Java, or even have a browser open.

Emerald Aeris
10-30-2002, 02:29 PM
Master Vivi sent me the file, and it installed fine.. but it's STILL not working. >_< I'll have to ask my dad or something, maybe I don't have Java enabled right. :/ I was positive I did though O_o This is frustrating and evil.

crono_logical
10-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Try changing the Security settings in Internet Options to Medium (unless you want to go through every option in Advanced to find the Java settings :p ), something might be set too high so preventing Java applets from running.

Emerald Aeris
10-30-2002, 08:28 PM
It is on medium. >_< I also checked into the advanced options, and it should be working.