PDA

View Full Version : What is up with all the pop up ads?

edczxcvbnm
11-09-2002, 10:37 PM
I am curious as to why there are pop up ads galore now?

crono_logical
11-09-2002, 10:48 PM
I am not one to know
Pop-up blockers are goal
Combine with the Windows Hosts file
And I have an ad free
EoFF on my PC :p

Big Ogre Umaro
11-10-2002, 12:43 AM
Pop-up blockers <i>am</i> goal.

Good gravy, man.

Loony BoB
11-10-2002, 01:37 AM
I would like to point out to you
The Help Forum's FAQ
It includes a link to one a popupstopper.
It'll help your browsing stay good and proper.

Spuuky
11-10-2002, 02:01 AM
Popup-stoppers am not a feasible solution, unless you connect from your own computer, rather than a wide range of computers in other places.

The Man
11-10-2002, 02:12 AM
If you use a Mac, there’s also very little in the way of options as far as pop-up stopping goes.

Peace
Aaron

Dr Unne
11-10-2002, 04:09 AM
You could always use Mozilla. It's
a free browser. Not the pits
like IE is. The probably make
Mozilla for every OS, so take
a look at the website.

http://www.mozilla.org
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

Citizen Bleys
11-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Heh; I used to use a pop-up stopper, but that blocked the PM popups, too. So I just close a billion pop-ups every time I come to EoFF.

crono_logical
11-10-2002, 05:30 PM
PM popups I need not,
Since I get a Y!M email popup instead
Whenever I get PMed :p

LH
11-10-2002, 05:31 PM
How about the most irritating one of all?
Loading, say it, with no 'X' to close it and make it fall.
When loading is done,
Beginning is the fun.
From my dear computer, it has caused me to run.

A software plugin offer awaits.
Over its merit I offer no debate.
Crappy it is, yet more ads it spawns.
ao.lop.com it sends to us, we silly little pawns.

crono_logical
11-10-2002, 10:30 PM
This is where the ALT F4
Or the more powerful CTRL W
Comes in handy :p

Zypher
11-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Having tried CTRL + W
And knowing the function of ALT + F4
Put forth to you this query, I do
What makes CTRL + W's power more?

Bahamut2000X
11-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Ya I ahve noticed these pop up's too and they quite frankly p*** me off as they slow down my computer like hell and in many cases forced me to restart my computer. I just find my self coming to EoFF less and less with my computer restarting more and more *kicks ads* DIE SPAWN OF EVILNESS!

Actually a good soultion is to put the pop ups only on one page and only when you go to that page opposed to the nearly every single page of the site.

crono_logical
11-11-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Zypher
Having tried CTRL + W
And knowing the function of ALT + F4
Put forth to you this query, I do
What makes CTRL + W's power more?

It's more powerful for me
Because ALT F4 is disabled on my PC
(ALT F4 being my Winamp script trigger) :p

Shlup
11-11-2002, 05:58 AM
*is really annoyed with that "search" pop-up right now*

I hate these things. Especially the ones that wont let you close them. Who the hell do these people think they are to not let me close a window? Grr!

Dr Unne
11-11-2002, 06:20 AM
*mentions, once again, the tiny, legally free, easy-to-install <a href=http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/>Phoenix</a>, and goes on to enjoy hours and hours of popup-free ad-banner-free non-Microshysters browsing entertainment*

Garland
11-11-2002, 06:56 AM
The simple pop-up ad wasn't enough. Spewed forth from a banner ad that makes enough noise to disintegrate an earplug, they soon they began to multiply. And the spawn of the pop-up multiplied. Of these hell-spawned miscreants of the internet, some wore impenetrable armor. The achilles heal which was the X had been removed from these superior foes. Only with the power of Alt F4, and the all powerful Pop-up-stopper, can this onslaught be repelled. But at what cost? Most agree that the mighty Pop-up-stopper is as deadly to friend (IM's) as to foe (ads). And the power of Alt F4 must be used judiciously as well, for the rapid indiscriminant offense with said weapon risks destroying that which you fought to protect (closes the good window when jammed repeatedly in frustration). Is there no end in sight to this unending battle between good (us) and evil (the unscrupulous internet advertisers that enjoy afflicting web surfers with their pestillence)? I know not.

Angered Roach
11-11-2002, 07:58 AM
I'm opening myself to ridicule here,
But is there a pop-up stopper that works for AOL?
Beacause my sanity is dear,
And these pop-ups, they create hell.

Pop up stoppers don't seem to have any effect on the AOL browser. And by the way. That Software plugin ad is beyond evil. By the way, I downloaded it in the hopes that it would get rid of the thing, and no such luck. But...I noticed something. One of the things it gives you is an adult entertainment thing. Maybe this ad could be reported to the higher-ups?

Shlup
11-11-2002, 01:29 PM
*hears Unne, and has a pop up stopper at home, but is away from home, as she often is, where pop ups are not so easily stopped*

Lionx
11-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Yea i remember making a thread and someone directed it to a site where i downloaded a popup stopper. Sure it works on IE, but on my AOL one it doesnt. So pop ups to to the bottom right corner where u have to scroll all the way down and right to close. Then go back up where ur windows are messed up. Pop ups are one reason i dont post as much as i used too, and since Pop up stopper doesnt work for AOL and kills my non built in AIM, i dont usually use it at all. POP UPS ARE EVIL!!:mad2:

edczxcvbnm
11-18-2002, 06:49 PM
Thanks all for your help on pop-up blocking things. But I would like to point out that it didn't answer my question.

Why are there pop-ups now? This place has always been so against them.

Shlup
11-19-2002, 10:25 PM
As EoFF gets more traffic, the server has to find a way to compensate. Instead of charging money for more bandwith the server puts up more ads. No one in the staff has anything to do with the ads, it's the server that puts them up.

That's how I understand it, at least.

Angered Roach
11-23-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by lionx
Yea i remember making a thread and someone directed it to a site where i downloaded a popup stopper. Sure it works on IE, but on my AOL one it doesnt. So pop ups to to the bottom right corner where u have to scroll all the way down and right to close. Then go back up where ur windows are messed up. Pop ups are one reason i dont post as much as i used too, and since Pop up stopper doesnt work for AOL and kills my non built in AIM, i dont usually use it at all. POP UPS ARE EVIL!!:mad2:

Same here. Why DO those stupid ads have to show up all the way down there anyway? Do they do it just because i'm obsessive-compulsive and can't have scrollbars on the edges of the AOL Browser, just to spite me?!? :mad2: