PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's Endless Threads.

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-23-2002, 07:41 AM
Lately i find it happening more than i can stand it.. maybe others are suffering like me, maybe not!

But i have to tell you about the "Newbie's" endless threads. Isn't enough to post in any thread like us without making a thread just to say "Im new"? Can't they say im new while posting in any thread? And we can know who is new and who is not! I dunno, but i really am sick of it. And what im saying DOESN'T mean that the newbies are unwelcomed. The threads are just annoying! That's all what i have to say. I dunno! But if you find me wrong or something correct me please.

Shlup
11-23-2002, 07:46 AM
They can say they're new in any thread as long as they also discuss the topic, yeah, but no one can give them a public welcome.

So many can be overwhelming, but I think not allowing them to be made would just be mean.

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-23-2002, 07:56 AM
It wont be "mean" since they are more than the threads that we "need". And we know them and we can welcome them, we can pm them rather than taking space on "Say hi to me casue im newbie" tis kinda annoying!

My suggestion is, why not making a corner (i dunno what they call it) for the newbies? Like there is a corner for reading and music and.. etc? The is another corner for general chat?

Aika
11-23-2002, 08:07 AM
i am really for a noob section, where people introduce themselves, so it doesnt clutter up the general discussion

Miriel
11-23-2002, 08:45 AM
No one would ever bother to post or even look in that forum. And newbies like to be given a warm welcome when they first come to a board, not pushed into a separate forum that no one ever visits. *shrugs* I dunno, I guess I still relate a lot more with the newbies than with the 'regular' members, so I don't get annoyed by the newbies threads as much.

Leeza
11-23-2002, 08:49 AM
I like Newbie threads. I think you get a better feel of who the person is from a Newbie thread than if they just made a random post in some thread.

There were quite a few lately, but I think they're a nice change of pace from the regular threads. I don't think of them as clutter.

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-23-2002, 08:59 AM
I didn't say that they cause any clutter or anything. I meant the big amount of the the newbies threads. That's all.
And no one would visit the section of the newbies, why? I dun think that no one will visit the section of the newbies, but the poeple who wana welcome them they can go there and welcome them. And tis the same thing. They will have thier own corner, where they are welcomed.

I still dunno, but all i talking about is that the big amount of it. Thats all.

Sephex
11-23-2002, 09:17 AM
The solution to this problem isn't that hard people.

Make a newbie forum.."but what about all the clutter!?"

Don't let it go past one or two pages...duh. Prune that forum constantly.

chionos
11-23-2002, 09:22 AM
personally i like the idea in its ideal form, but i think such a thing would end up turning into a spam forum. you know it would. and also, i DON'T know who all is new and old and what-not.....there's just too many people here now, especially with all the names that are so similar....it's hard to keep them straight....so for that reason i can stand newbie threads to an extent...it's just hard to force myself to keep posting in them...lately there has been a deluge of them and the latter newbies i didn't reply to because i was just tired of it. maybe the newbie forum idea can be worked on....changed into something better....something that will work. i just can't think of what that something would be. 'least not right now.

Gene Ohm
11-23-2002, 10:29 AM
I only just did one of those recently myself
I think newbie threads are important, they let you get to know whos on the forum and what everyone is like, and gives others an opertunity to figure out a little of what your like too
And a newbie area is probably a good idea, but, as has been said, it will need to be watched carefully so it dosent get too spammy

~Celeste

edczxcvbnm
11-23-2002, 10:37 AM
When I actually notice newbie threads I take immediate notice to them and say this person has gotten off to a bad start and put them on the bad side of things. I think they are pointless.

At a new job you are working at you move around and get a feel for things and people notice you are new. You don't get on the damn speaker system and yell 'I AM THE FRICKIN' NEW GUY! MY NAME IS FRANKLIN THE RETARD! I AM MAKIN' DA MAD MONEYS!"

Cz
11-23-2002, 10:45 AM
I didn't have a newbie thread, and I don't really regret it. But I don't see the problem with newbie threads. I ignore them, and get to know the member from their other posts. A newbie thread doesn't tell you much about personality.

Mikztsu
11-23-2002, 12:00 PM
*reads the announcement and notices that registeration is temporiraly closed* I guess we won't be seeing those newbie threads that much at least in a month.:p

Anyhow, I have mixed feelings about this, Lil. Just lately there's been very much newbie threads. Sometimes there's just one or three newbie threads in a week. It's very random. Of course if it keeps going on like this that half of the GC's threads are newbie threads, there's should be a newbie forum for introducion's.

But if it slows down, there's no need for that. It's a good point you said; those who wants to welcome these newbies, they'd go to newbie Forum and welcome them, instead of making hypocritical statements caused of boredom in GC: "Oh, it's so nice to have you there, yayayayaya, welcome:):):):):):):)".

I'm pretty much neutral on this issue so far. But if it'll be like this in the future, newbie forum should be concidered in staff, in my opinion.

Dr Unne
11-23-2002, 03:23 PM
We've considered a newbie forum before, but decided not to. Maybe we'll consider it again.

Newbie threads don't clutter the place up that much anyways. Another problem is that new people are unlikely to notice the forum and post there, which means we get the fun job of moving them all ourselves. We actually WANT new people here, generally. New people are what keeps the place alive. I'd rather not dismiss new people as second class citizens. A newbie forum is like saying "Hey dork, I don't want to see your crappy threads, so go in that forum over there so I don't have to look at them". Not really the most welcoming message. I made a newbie thread when I joined, right in the middle of General Chat. If I hadn't gotten a nice welcome, I might've just left. I'm not going to deny that right to other people.

Loony BoB
11-23-2002, 03:59 PM
I think that they would get a warmer welcome in General Chat, and it tends to be more personal. I imagine that people would go to a Newbie Forum once a day and post exactly the same thing in all the threads that they haven't done it in, and never look at them again. In General Chat, I dunno, it seems that they're treated better and stuff.

That, and newbie threads go through phases. I don't remember who I was talking to about it, but I remember that I was once really looking for a newbie thread coz there weren't any for two pages >=P So don't think of them as clutter or anything - it's just a phase. Who knows how long it will last?

Newbie forums are boring. :p Newbie threads in here seem to not be.

Alpha
11-23-2002, 04:47 PM
If we made a seperate newbie forum even I wouldn't bother welcoming them. It's just unnecesary, considering that it's rare to see this quantity of newbie threads in General Chat.

Del Murder
11-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Our newbie threads are hardly boring. Most of them are very amusing. Unless it just becomes a dailog between two or three friends and it just gets confusing.

*enforces newbie*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-24-2002, 05:34 AM
Ignoring them works, too. *thumbs up*

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-24-2002, 06:42 AM
1. I did not say they cause any clutter.
2. I only suggest to make a separate forum for them, so whoever want to welcome them, they can go there and welcome them as warm as in GC. There won't difference between GC and separate forum.

Warmer welcome in GC? Why? Is there any oven? Put one in the separate forum for the newbies =D

Your opinion please =)

Mikztsu
11-24-2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by ~Chibi*Moonlight~

Warmer welcome in GC? Why? Is there any oven? Put one in the separate forum for the newbies =D

Your opinion please =)

Hmmm....xD Very funny, yet clever and good point there, Lil.:)

Big Ogre Umaro
11-24-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
Ignoring them works, too. *thumbs up*
And it's soooo much easier than taking any type of <i>action</i>.

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-24-2002, 08:13 AM
Look at the big amount of the newbies threads, tis not a matter of ignoring them or posting. I'm talking about the "amount". In GC there is more than 10 Newbie thread! Do you think that this is logical? Think of it.

Roogle
11-24-2002, 10:45 AM
I agree with Umi_Butterfly in another thread.

If "I'm back" or "I'm leaving" threads aren't allowed, I don't think "I'm new" threads should be allowed either. Of course, that would be pretty strict... so why not make an Announcements forum of some sort to keep everybody updated on what goes on? Who's here, who's not... who's leaving, who's coming back? It'd keep it all seperated from General Chat, but all together.

I'm not going to go all out to support this, but it is a good idea.

Citizen Bleys
11-24-2002, 02:53 PM
There are newbie forums on just about every other board on the planet, and you know what? The regular posters just ignore and avoid that forum. The only one welcoming newbies most of the time are people who are trying to build up their post counts. (I try to give funny welcomes at most boards, but I run out of material fast)

I find EoFF's environment to be friendlier because peoples' newbie threads are exposed to a wider audience, and not just the spammers reply in them.

I'm like Unne; when I first joined, I made my "newbie thread" in Eyes On Each Other, and got the warmest welcome on the 'net. That got me hooked.

chionos
11-25-2002, 12:46 AM
i guess i'm biased because i never made an "i'm new" thread, so they don't have any meaning to me, though i was warmly welcomed here. Eoff really is too friendly a place to seperate our newbies and make them feel like they're not really part of us. I see, I see.

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-25-2002, 07:52 AM
What? No one will post in the newbies forum?
The people who are welcoming the newbies, why they can't go to the newbies forum if they like it? I'm sure lots of people will go there and welcome them. And if not, that means no need for newbies threads at all.

Roogle, what you've said is right .What i think too, if the newbies threads are allowed then "I'm back" or "I'm leaving" threads must be allowed, those people needs a warm welcome also *wink*. And do you think newbies or anyone would be known without posting in GC for example?
If i dun like EoFF, i won't open my mouth about anything and i would find other forum.
My love to EoFF is the reason for me to speak about waht annoys me and annoy lots of people.

Chemical
11-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Gareas
There are newbie forums on just about every other board on the planet, and you know what? The regular posters just ignore and avoid that forum. The only one welcoming newbies most of the time are people who are trying to build up their post counts. (I try to give funny welcomes at most boards, but I run out of material fast)

I find EoFF's environment to be friendlier because peoples' newbie threads are exposed to a wider audience, and not just the spammers reply in them.

I'm like Unne; when I first joined, I made my "newbie thread" in Eyes On Each Other, and got the warmest welcome on the 'net. That got me hooked.

If people really cared about giving a greeting I think they could take the time to make two more little clicks. I don't find a big difference, people who still give greetings are either intent on making sure they warmly welcome people... or they are still people looking for reasons to post.

You make the concious choice to post and exposing it doesn't necessarily make that difference since all members would know where the posts are, just as members know where threads are.

Loony BoB
11-27-2002, 10:14 PM
But it's just so not EoFF. ;_;

Mikztsu
11-27-2002, 10:36 PM
I think I'd rather welcome old member back than welcome some random newbie here. Let's say if someone like Del Murder would disappear for a year so suddenly and then he'd come back, I would be so very excited to welcome him back. Same thing for "I'm leaving" threads. If some veteran leaves, I think everyone should know about it and to not leave us wonder "where did he/she disappear?"

Yeah, I made a newbie thread on Eyes on each other two years ago. It felt nice to get replies there. YOU, Lilly, made a newbie thread also back then, and maybe we would've never met without that thread.
But it's true that EoFF is getting huge, and there's more and more members joining all the time making threads, which sinks good threads from GC's page one to page two.

I still think newbie forum wouldn't be a bad idea. If it would be, I think it would be reasonable for at least to ACTIVE veterans to make "I'm leaving" and "I'm back" threads.

When/if I'll ever leave EoFF, Hell yeah I'll make a thread about my leaving eventho' I'd know it'll be closed. I just want people I know to not wonder where I left and why. Wouldn't wanna email or IM to every "half-friend" and "half-half-friend" and non friends that I left.

Del Murder
11-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Problem is, most people 'leave forever' and then show up a month later. Not even that sometimes.

*disappears for a year just for the hell of it*

Mikztsu
11-29-2002, 08:40 AM
Well, it looks like Lil got what she wanted again.>=P *looks at the new newbie Forum*

Good job, staff ( Bleys >=D). I'll be there welcoming newbies there when I please.

Del Murder
11-29-2002, 08:43 AM
*wink*

Mikztsu
11-29-2002, 08:58 AM
Dammit, they tricked us.>=o *rages* They are for staff only. *rages some more* Damn you all! I already told Lil that they made Newbie forum. She's gonna explode.><

Citizen Bleys
11-29-2002, 12:39 PM
*mad laughter*

~Chibi*Moonlight~
11-30-2002, 07:34 AM
You know what's so funny?
That you WASTE your time talking to deaf people.

But it's just so not EoFF. ;_;

It wouldn't be EoFF when GC is all about Newbies threads, The newbies threads are swalowing and absorbing the biggest space, and most meaningfull threads. Those threads we want the most are disappearing cause of such meaningless "Say hi to me" Huh, who cares?

And yes, i made a newbie thread, but that was when they were so RARE.

I hope the people who are coming and joining to this forum wouldn't be less, cause when i asked one of my friends to join, she said "Oh, Lil i wana ask, is it all about newbies.. cause i can't see anything to post in but newbies threads" And she didn't join, i guess if there is one person who is thinking that way, means that there are hundereds.. maybe! Who knows!

Loony BoB
11-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ~Chibi*Moonlight~
You know what's so funny?
That you WASTE your time talking to deaf people.
If we were deaf, we wouldn't even reply. We have considered this in the past but it just gets a 'no', and that's pretty final, most of the time.

It wouldn't be EoFF when GC is all about Newbies threads, The newbies threads are swalowing and absorbing the biggest space, and most meaningfull threads. Those threads we want the most are disappearing cause of such meaningless "Say hi to me" Huh, who cares?
1) There are currently five newbie threads in the top 50 threads of General Chat, all evenly spaced. That's hardly taking up room.

2) If a thread was really meaningful and worthy of people's time, there would be lots of posts, and it wouldn't disappear - so don't blame it on newbie threads, that's for sure. There are heaps of threads there that are 'making other threads disappear', and they're no better or worse than any other. Some exceptions.

3) You just basically said you didn't care about newbie threads, so why should they get their own forum?

And yes, i made a newbie thread, but that was when they were so RARE.
I joined in August 2000 - in my experience, Newbie Threads have NEVER been rare.

I hope the people who are coming and joining to this forum wouldn't be less, cause when i asked one of my friends to join, she said "Oh, Lil i wana ask, is it all about newbies.. cause i can't see anything to post in but newbies threads" And she didn't join, i guess if there is one person who is thinking that way, means that there are hundereds.. maybe! Who knows!
Like I said earlier - Five newbie threads in the top 50 threads of General Chat. If that's enough to put someone off, then someone could also be against any random topic and note that 'all I can see are threads about some graphic and everyone commenting on them' etc.

There are also lots of people who read the newbie threads and realise how welcome they will be, and that's why they join in the first place.

I personally found it quite hard to find many newbie threads. If your friend said that during some weird time where some member had just looked for a bunch of newbie threads and posted in them, well, can't do much about that. Tell them to look again now, because there are hardly any. I think only three OPEN newbie threads are there right now, and only one in the top ten threads (when I just checked). So if your friend tries now, she should be fine.

Tell her to make a newbie thread, and then ask her if she feels welcome by the responses ;D

Mikztsu
11-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Loony BoB

1) There are currently five newbie threads in the top 50 threads of General Chat, all evenly spaced. That's hardly taking up room.

That's because registeration got suspended in 22th of november, and the last thread in 1st page (50th thread) is created in 11-28-2002 12:29 AM, silly head.;)

The day when Lilly started this thread, there really was awfully many newbie threads. Just wanted to point that out.=) And I guess the word "rare" Lilly used in a way she didn't - she just meant there was not nearly this much people joining.

Yup, I'm still neutral about n00b forum section. But I'm still FOR allowing active veterans etc to make goodbye and I'm back0rs threads. Wouldn't matter how long they're gone.

Loony BoB
11-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Registration has been back on for three days now. (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/memberlist.php?s=&what=datejoined)

That's a long enough time for newbie threads to kick in, believe me. The registration was only down for three days. And seriously, when I joined, newbie threads were pretty darn common. *nods*

But as you said... the day that Lilly started this thread there were a lot. This place goes through phases, and that just happened to be a lively phase.

Mikztsu
11-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Jup, true all that also. I'm just being a good bitch here. ^*_*^