PDA

View Full Version : Problem burning a .iso

Dee
11-25-2002, 05:57 PM
I went ahead and burnt a .iso file with Nero, but nothing happened when I put the cd back in. Is something supposed to happen? What am I supposed to open it with?

crono_logical
11-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Tried looking at the CD contents inside Windows Explorer? Not all CDs have autorun on them :p

Dr Unne
11-26-2002, 12:28 AM
If you open it up in Explorer and there are no files there, it probably didn't burn right. I used to have problems with Nero where it'd say it burned successfully but there'd be nothing there when I looked. I fixed it by getting a newer version of Nero. If Nero said it succeeded, and you look at the bottom of the CD and it looks like there's been stuff written, but explorer can't read it, maybe get a new version.

Not like any of that probably applies to you. More info about your problem = good.

Dee
11-26-2002, 01:57 AM
It burned correctly, I know, because the contents can be seen on Explorer, but there's supposed to be an autorun? Mine doesn't seem to have one.... That's bad since I don't know what to open the .iso file with. Could you make an autorun? I'm confused. *sniff*

Bulldog
11-26-2002, 09:47 AM
What did you burn?

crono_logical
11-26-2002, 01:10 PM
If you can see it's contents in Explorer, then it's burned correctly - if there's no autorun, then it never had one to begin with, even on the original. If you wanted to make one, you need to know what to run on the CD, and if you knew that, the autorun would be pointless since you could then find and run such a file using Explorer anyway :p

If it's a program CD, usually look for something called Setup, or maybe a Microsoft InstallShield thingy (a .msi file) - they would be at the top level of the CD normally, but you might have to browse around inside subfolders of the disc.

Dee
11-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Well, I downloaded this 700 meg program from WinMX. That's it, it's just one file with the extension .iso. Nothing else with it.

There's no other files to be found that's setup.exe or any folders, I don't think.

So is it just useless then?

This is the only file I downloaded:

Borland Delphi 7 Enterprise Studio cd1 + .NET compiler.iso

Size: 672 MB (704,784,384 bytes)

Shoeberto
11-27-2002, 06:27 AM
<font color="#009999">
Did you just burn a data CD and put the ISO in the list of things to burn, or did you actually do a "Burn from Image"? Just burning the ISO like you'd burn a normal file won't work.

I don't really know much about Nero, but I don't know if it's even compatible with ISO images. If there's no "Burn from Image" option with ISO, download a shareware version of Easy CD Creator. I'm positive it's compatible with burning ISOs as images.

Dee
11-28-2002, 03:38 AM
*sheepishly*

Oh. Then I think I burnt it wrong. How do you select to "burn from image" with Nero or Easy CD Creator? I have both.

Shoeberto
11-28-2002, 03:45 AM
<font color="#009999">
In Easy CD Creator, just open up the program and go to File, then "Burn From Image." Then find the ISO and it should burn fine. This is at least the way it is in Easy CD Creator 4, but I'd expect it'd be the same in all versions.

Bulldog
11-28-2002, 05:12 AM
In Nero, just go 'File' select 'Burn Image' select the image you want to burn, and burn the image.

Dee
11-29-2002, 01:41 AM
Thanks to all who've helped! I got it now.