PDA

View Full Version : I need a BIG hand here ( Parallel starting up Win98/Win xp)

Mikztsu
11-29-2002, 02:02 PM
Ok, so I have Win xp. My favourite computer game (NHL Championship 2000) though, runs slowly under Win xp (I have no clue why).

My win xp is in drive c:, and I installed Win98 in drive d:. Problem is, I can't launch my Win xp anymore.:( Always when I'm starting my computer up, it asks a boot cd rom, and it has to be Win 98's one.

Is there any solution for this? I'd like to have menu or something which OS I wanna use. If this is not possible, is there any way to launch XP from Win 98? Because I REALLY prefer xp, and Win 98 is purely and only for NHL Championship 2k.

Squally Leonharty
11-29-2002, 02:45 PM
Get online and I'll send you a good boot manager. :p *pokes* Never mess with OSes without asking experts. :p

Another solution would be to set the XP's partition active (I'll send you a bootdisk that fits on two floppies; it's a partition manager under DOS :p) and once XP is booting, it'll automatically detect 98 and then you'll be able to choose between two OSes during boot. ;) Good thing you installed 98 after XP got installed. If you didn't, it's impossible to do this. XD

Scottie
11-29-2002, 03:07 PM
I don't know if this function even works because I haven't tried it, but if you right click on the program, select properties then click on the compatibility tab, you can change it to win 95 or whatever you choose. It might affect how the game is being executed.

Mikztsu
11-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Squally, for some reason my Y!M working now on Win 98, but the game runs smoothly.:) Could you email me that boot manager? mikztsu@hotmail.com As soon as possible.=) Or just attach it to this thread.

I downloaded some stupid boot manager, but when I tried to launch XP's partition, it says I need to register.>=\

Scottie - yeah, I tried that under xp. It just made it worse.*__*

Squally Leonharty
11-29-2002, 04:16 PM
I can't e-mail that boot manager. :p It's 6 MB. XD Get on mIRC, if that works. Or AIM. My AIM screenname is Skwowwy. I'll help you out. :D

crono_logical
11-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Er, I think you did something wrong when installing, because by default, Win98 would have seen the NT-type OS (that is, WinXP), and created and added a boot menu for you, and not need any CDs for bootup at all.

How exactly are your C and D: set up? I have a feeling that that's the cause of the problem. Are they on the same HD, or on seperate HDs? If on the same HD, are both partitions visible when you boot into Win98? And if you can find out, which one is a primary partition and which is a secondary (or logical)? Simply because boot managers won't work with logical partitions - and having D: as a logical partition will imply that Win98 overwrote WinXPs boot code anyway, so WinXP will be wanting a repair installation (which should create the boot menu for you, since that's how I set up my dad's PC)

Squally Leonharty
11-29-2002, 05:14 PM
I've told him what you just said. He's installed 98 on a logical partition. :p

He's now trying to boot with BootMagic without repairing XP. It might not work, but we'll see. If it doesn't work, he's busted, because he doesn't have the XP CD at the moment. XD

crono_logical
11-29-2002, 05:24 PM
It won't because partition managers work by activating/hiding primary partitions only - OSs can only boot off a primary partition - this means Win98 saw the only primary one was C: so was forced to overwrite WinXP's boot code to install itself :p (Technically, it is possible to do it with one boot partition but that requires a bit of hacking around with the boot block and renameing files and editing the boot menu by hand an such :p ) Anyway, it looks like XP will be asking for a reinstall :)

You can always send him your CD, Squally :D

Mikztsu
11-29-2002, 06:01 PM
We're trying out some stuff right now.:p And clout, my C and D are separate HD's.*__*

Mikztsu
11-29-2002, 07:00 PM
"Solution" was weird and random.xD

I copied XP files from HD. Then it again needed that Win 98 disk. The boot manager again needed "NTLDR", and I had to use Win 98 option again, but then it gave me a menu where I could choose Win xp, Win 98 and Win xp repair. So fecking weird. And I still need that Win98 CD everytime I start up my comp. I'm fine for this for now, at least I can use my both O/S's now.:)

Mikztsu1: Weird, but rawks.xD
Skwowwy: It works then? :P
Mikztsu1: 3rd option in that menu was microsoft windows, which is 98
Mikztsu1: One was xp repair, and one was xp starting
Skwowwy: o.o;
Skwowwy: I think you should repair XP anyway.
Mikztsu1: But it still needs win98 cd after memory check.xD
Skwowwy: Weird. XD
Mikztsu1: And I have to choose win 98 from that bootmagic, and I get those 3 options.xD
Skwowwy: O_o
Skwowwy: Weird. XD
Skwowwy: I've never seen a XP Repair in BootMagic. XD
Skwowwy: You should try that, I guess.
Mikztsu1: Nah, no need for that. I'm not gonna screw up anything now. At least both OS/'s works now.
Mikztsu1: =P
Skwowwy: Alrighty.
Skwowwy: Weird computer you got there. XD
Skwowwy: What brand is it?
Mikztsu1: I'll just use Win98 cd when I start my comp.
Skwowwy: Heh, okiedokie.
Skwowwy: I'm glad I could be of any help. :-)
Mikztsu1: You were a big help, eventho the solution was weird and random.xD Thanks for baring me.=P
Skwowwy: Heh, no problem. XD
Skwowwy: Even though it could be made better, like trying to get rid of that CD asking thingie.
Mikztsu1: Let's do that some other day. I've had enough of doing these things for now.:P
Skwowwy: Heh, ok. :P

Big thanks to Squally, still.=)