PDA

View Full Version : Censored PMs

Silverlocke
12-10-2002, 04:26 AM
This bothered me today.

Why are PMs censored?

I can understand why the word "****" is censored in the forums. This is a forum that children can visit, and some people obviously have very fragile feelings and couldn't handle being sworn at, but why is **** censored in PMs as well? Private Messages are not viewable by the general public.

What we say to our friends is between our friends and us, and shouldn't be restricted. Yes, we have the option of e-mail, but that defeats the purpose of the PM system existing at all.

Calliope
12-10-2002, 04:31 AM
I agree. Even if I don't swear, I wouldn't like to rob Ginsberg or Molloy or Honest Colin of their artistic merit.

Ah well. It's the thought that counts, eh Myles?

Shlup
12-10-2002, 05:00 AM
It's probably that way mostly because it'd be a pain to seperate censors so that they only apply to public posts. That's just my guess though.

Roogle
12-10-2002, 05:35 AM
I would be guessing it's like that to prevent flaming to another member via PM, or because it's too difficult to differentiate between a PM censor and a public censor.

Big Ogre Umaro
12-10-2002, 05:40 AM
Maybe because the censors are global and no one thought about it until you mentioned it just this second? :aimsun:

Alpha
12-10-2002, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty darn sure you can't just set where the words will be censored without some sort of wierd hack, i've been an admin for another board before. But is that word really neccesary? There are better alternatives. :p

Radical Wray!
12-10-2002, 09:52 PM
name one

Agent Proto
12-11-2002, 01:04 AM
He doesn't need to.

Freakin for ****in' for one.

There's nothing I can think of that can stop the censors from hitting PMs, but censors as far as I'm concerned are global, so they affect the forums and PMs.

Dr Unne
12-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Ditto what everyone else said I guess. No way to turn it off. There are lots of alternative ways of communicating if you feel the need to swear. Sorry, I'd uncensor the PMs if I could without hacking the MB.

Peegee
12-11-2002, 04:25 AM
um if you uncensor the PMs I could send swear words at minors and get their mommies mad right?

So keep them.