PDA

View Full Version : ALRIGHT THATS IT!!

Liquid Glass
01-19-2003, 12:50 AM
Okay, Ive been here for 10 months now, and I still dont know how to put a picture in my sig!

*sucks much*

So, HOW DO YOU DO IT!?

thanks.;)

Yamaneko
01-19-2003, 02:07 AM
"url here"

Just without the quotes.

By "url here" I mean that you have to upload the pic elsewhere and then remote link it here. Put the url in the img brackets, yada, yada.

www.ranchoweb.com is good for image hosting.:)

NPC
01-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Ranchoweb tends to go down from time to time, and can cause broken sig images. Try http://www.homestead.com as an alternative, if you like.

crono_logical
01-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Except homestead ain't free anymore, although it is for me since I signed up before they changed their policy :p

But yeah, looking at what other people use to host their sig's is one idea.

Zifnab
01-23-2003, 12:41 PM
The most reliable way would probably be hosting it at geocities, then changing the file extension to .txt. For example if your image was crapsig.jpg, you'd change the name to crapsig.txt, ONCE UPLOADED to geocities (i used to make the mistake of making it a txt file BEFORE uploading... @_@)

Dr Unne
01-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Doing that causes your pictures not to load in most non-IE browsers. IE loading .txt files as pictures is a bug in the IE code, in my opinion. It shouldn't work like that. Some other browsers (Opera for example) trust that it's a .txt and load it as pure garbage.

The Man
01-24-2003, 01:07 AM
There's a .txt image in my .sig, and it works fine under Opera. Go figure.

Dr Unne
01-24-2003, 01:53 AM
Enter the URL of it into a browser window and see what happens when you try to load it.

Yamaneko
01-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Enter the URL of it into a browser window and see what happens when you try to load it.
Doing this in IE shows the picture fine, but fails in Netscape, Mozilla, and Pheonix, giving you computer garbage. There's seriously something wrong with IE.

The Man
01-24-2003, 02:07 AM
Yeah, but if you're just going to use it as a .sig image, I don't see anything wrong with using the .txt cheat.

Still, though, I agree completely about there being something wrong with IE. What a horrible browser.

Samuraid
01-24-2003, 06:31 PM
IE is just better. Cummon, shouldn't any browser be able to throw mime-types to the wind and open the image anyway? :D j/k