PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if a mod abuses his power??

Mr. Graves
01-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Like, say someone just got crowned a Cid's Knight. And suddenly just started banning people without notice, for the little things he himself didn't like about the people he was banning.

For the Mods: How would you deal with someone like that??

Loony BoB
01-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Banning without reason? That kind of person wouldn't be Knighted. You'll find that within Staff, we're very close-knit, and for the most part full of respect and friendship and all that crap.

Abuse of power would most likely lead to a de-modding, if not banning. After someone 'has a talk' with them.

Spatvark
01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
You'll find that within Staff, we're very close-knit, and for the most part full of respect and friendship and all that crap.

Hence me never becoming a mod =P

Abuse of power would most likely lead to a de-modding, if not banning. After someone 'has a talk' with them.

Yes, Mr. B.Batwithanailin would obviously want to talk first :evil:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-23-2003, 09:37 PM
I imagine Unne would probably shake some part of his body, possibly his head.

Agent Proto
01-23-2003, 09:42 PM
I'd imagine the person would be really foolish to even do so. Don't worry, it's not going to happen. Everyone who becomes a Cid's Knight was made one for a reason. :p

Dr Unne
01-23-2003, 09:53 PM
None will ever do that, nope. If they did they'd be banned pretty quickly by one of the rest of us. There isn't much a Mod could do at a vBB that an Admin couldn't clean up, except for deleting threads, which is pretty much impossible to recover as far as I know, but that wouldn't be all that huge a problem. And of course I know where everyone lives, so I'd go to their houses and- ...never mind that. But anyways we don't have to worry about it. That's why it's good to be picky about who you let be part of the staff.

The Man
01-24-2003, 12:40 AM
In the backup of my own forum's database, it looked like deleted posts and PMs were all still there. I'm sure someone with a huge amount of MySQL experience could go in through the database and figure out what marks a post as deleted, if indeed deleted posts remain in the database, but I seriously doubt you'd even be able to get a MySQL backup of EoFF's database at all, big as it is. At least from the admin control panel.

Anyway, yeah, EoFF definitely don't mod people without a good reason. Generally you'll find that people on staff have superiors, unless they're the owner of the site, and so they defer to those superiors. If I were to become a mod, I could technically ban everyone I didn't like, but that doesn't mean I'd actually want to do that. Even if someone really pissed me, personally, off, I wouldn't just ban them unless they'd done stuff to other members that would warrant a ban. Bannings don't occur without a good reason, in my experience. Disliking someone isn't a good enough reason.

I have a hunch that even if an admin was to do such a thing, there'd be plenty of ways to get around that - admins are pretty much all powerful as far as vBulletin control goes, but the real power goes to those who have FTP access, as they'll be able to edit what's on the site directly. Plus, as I understand it, both Scottie and Bleys regularly backup the database, so at most you'd be losing like two weeks of posts, probably. But who knows. I don't really know how admin stuff is organised here, so I'm no expert on that.

Del Murder
01-24-2003, 01:28 AM
Death.

Calliope
01-24-2003, 08:31 AM
query: is roogle knighted, or is that just a backfiring of Towns being greedy?

crono_logical
01-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Yes Roogle is a mod :p

Loony BoB
01-25-2003, 03:08 PM
I'd actually say it was more of a mixture of those reasons.

Citizen Bleys
01-27-2003, 12:45 AM
If a mod deleted posts that were in the database, it would take me approximately six minutes to restore it from a backup, assuming that the posts deleted were not made since the last backup. I'd just have to restore one entry in each of two tables.

And if a mod did abuse their power, they would be quickly de-modded, which is why none will. It's not exactly easy to get onto EoFF's staff (anymore), and once someone gets in, they don't want to lose that, usually.

The Man
01-27-2003, 11:16 PM
A bit off-topic, but I have to say you guys are great about keeping your staff on the same page. I've modded at certain sites *cough*FF:WA*cough* that were terrible about that.

Loony BoB
01-27-2003, 11:25 PM
We know. Making fun of how crap other Staff are is what keeps us together. We all have something in common, that way.

Citizen Bleys
01-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Speaking of which, you ought to see the Staff at that Fool's Gold place. *laugh riot*

Spuuky
01-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Don't forget ASC.

The Man
01-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Kraptastica's staff is pretty crazy, too. And that Bastardly Productions. What a riot.

Citizen Bleys
01-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Bastardly Productions has Staff?

The Man
01-28-2003, 01:18 AM
I could ask the same about FF:WA, when it comes down to it. Don't see much evidence of it there, really.

Big Ogre Umaro
01-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Spuuky
Don't forget ASC. >:O

The staff at ASC is actually the best staff ever. I love half the people on there.

edczxcvbnm
01-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Okay...but what would happen if they banned all the mods first? Can they do that? I think Bleys just might go crazy one day and do it. He did make me a mod for a short while after all(Even though I knew, I for some reason just couldn't bring myself to abuse my powers :( ).

Spuuky
01-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
(Even though I knew, I for some reason just couldn't bring myself to abuse my powers :( ). Speaking of the greatest disappointments of my life...

The Man
01-28-2003, 11:01 PM
And mine. I didn't even HEAR about the incident until I'd lost my mod powers again.

Del Murder
01-28-2003, 11:03 PM
I was a mod of some forum for a brief while, and I banned Proto for excessive cursing. Yet Bleys fired me anyway.

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Even if a maverick mod started banning other mods, it wouldn't last. I've trained all of the admins on how to readmin themselves and ban people directly from EoFF's secure phpMyAdmin application. Even supposing Unne went mad, Scottie and myself know how to change the mySQL password (although this would require that the forums' config.php be edited and re-uploaded).

If Scottie and I both go stark, raving mad at exactly the same time, we're in trouble. In every other forseeable circumstance, we're covered.

Shiroi Kumo
02-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Go stark raving mad, dear Bleys? You've had a permanent residence there for as long as I've known you.

Cheers.

Loony BoB
02-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Way to bump a two-week old thread, mate ;) Took you that long to come up with THAT? *flee*

crono_logical
02-16-2003, 08:25 AM
I thought mods can't ban mods? (Yes, I've attempted to ban myself :p )

Shlup
02-16-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Guu
(Yes, I've attempted to ban myself :p ) It may just be because I read it at the right time, but that made me laugh muey mucho.

Shiroi Kumo
02-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
Way to bump a two-week old thread, mate ;) Took you that long to come up with THAT? *flee* Eh, and just how often am I supposed to visit the feedback forum? Yeah, that's what I thought. :P

Cheers.

Loony BoB
02-16-2003, 10:56 AM
>=o Everyone ELSE manages to either remember to respond IMMEDIATELY or else just let it go.

Unforgivable. You're getting an official warning this time. Tsk tsk. *folds arms and shakes head* tut tut tut

Ifrit's Bodyguard
02-17-2003, 12:21 AM
<font color=f43719><font color=f43719>I'd probably change to the new colour sceme and respond to bumped threads.

Eternal Snow
02-22-2003, 06:29 AM
no offense but i find this question redundant..... i've been with eoff for 3yrs + and i've never seen anything like this happen before....

The Man
02-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Yeah, but just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it'll never happen. FFL had some problems along those lines awhile back, if memory serves. So it's better to have a plan, even if it eventually turns out to be a useless plan, than to get caught by surprise. Hell, sometimes it isn't even the mods you have to worry about - a troll on FF:WA got ahold of the FFXI mod's password there and deleted most of the FFXI forum before being caught (the culprit went on to lose his access to the internet for violating his ISP's terms of service), but the posts were never recovered.