PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute to a Staff that Doesn't Suck

The Man
01-28-2003, 12:45 AM
As about three of you are probably aware, I've spent the last month and a half co-modding the FFXI forum at Final Fantasy: Worlds Apart. I realised, during that time period, that FF:WA's staff was a disaster. We don't receive any sort of instructions upon becoming moderators; we don't have a staff forum to ask questions in privately; we don't have any sort of organisation. It's lucky for me that my co-mod and I get along, because some forum mods don't have it that lucky and there's nothing they can do about it. Double-standards run rampant; favours are given to people simply because they're friends of the owner or of the admins. People aren't given any sort of feedback on how they're modding the place; some people get away with flaming other users to death without a scratch, despite the fact that they're basically ruining the place for everyone who's joined within the past two years. I could go on for pages more about how hellish things are at WA, but I'm already getting bored of it.

I used to think Eyeson's staff could be better, but I've realised something during my time running Fool's Gold: The larger a place gets, the harder it is to keep it running. Eyeson's staff, while it hasn't been perfect, has, for the most part, kept the place running and helped contribute to keeping it interesting. Everyone on the staff is actually a part of the community (possibly excluding Sean). That's very special. I'm just here to commend you guys for running a forum that doesn't stress me out half the time I visit it.

Del Murder
01-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Well said, but they're still not going to knight you.

:p

The Man
01-28-2003, 12:48 AM
What makes you so sure, dummy? You're not an administrator. *enforces Del*

I don't care about being Knighted, anyway. :p

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 12:54 AM
*arf*, I'm Knighted and I'm not even a mod anymore. :P

FFWA used to be cool. Now it's just too wild.

I just don't like to see EoFF going the other way...

The Man
01-28-2003, 12:57 AM
FF:WA's problem is that everyone flames each other openly. And the staff, for the most part, don't care. I cared, and I lost my position because of it.

EoFF has changed since I've come here, yeah. I'm not sure if the place is more spammy or less spammy since it was when I joined. I'm certainly more spammy than I was when I joined, but that's probably a good thing since I was so long-winded it hurt people's eyes to read some of my posts. The thing is, though, that I can still count on the staff to be dependable and, for the most part, impartial. There's no way you can safely describe WA's staff as impartial. The only two admins I still even have respect for there are Tau and Kairi. The place is so different from EoFF, it's scary to think that pretty much everyone who was here back in the old old old days originally came from WA. The places are just so different.

Mr. Graves
01-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Guess I made the right choice...This being my first FF (and probably my only) forum....

Loony BoB
01-28-2003, 12:58 AM
We don't have spam....

The Man
01-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Rrrrrrrrrrright, Danny. Rrrrrright.

Leeza
01-28-2003, 01:00 AM
I've never been to FF:WA, but I agree with everything that you've said about the EoFF staff, Aaron. They rock. :)

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 01:09 AM
No spam? ROFLMAO

As I said, FFWA used to be awesome. I, about two-three years ago, modded the FFT forum. It was cool then.

I could start a massive rant on why FFWA sucks now, but I won't.

The Man
01-28-2003, 01:09 AM
I wish you would. It'd make my day that much better.

Yamaneko
01-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Yup, staff does a good job. Keep up the good work.:)

Citizen Bleys
01-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Okay, bashing other sites = bad.

Hate to be an ogre in a thread about how supposedly great the staff here is, but if this turns into an FFWA bashing thread, it will shortly thereafter turn into a closed thread.

Site wars are for crap sites.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Let the battle begin!

Kidding, kidding.

Awrini
01-28-2003, 01:29 AM
The staff here at EoFF seem to keep everything at a nice tolerable level. Some spam is allowed to keep things from getting dull, but doesn't let it reach a point as to where everything goes well out of control.

As long as things stay where they are and the staff cares about the well being of the forums, they will continue to do a wonderful job.

Have A Nice Day and Thank You Staff.

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 01:32 AM
Bleys: don't worry, I know. Believe me, I know. FFWA and FFO had a massive site war. It sucked horrible.

And my rant wouldn't be FFWA bashing. Rob(the owner) rocks and so does FFWA. It'd be bashing some person(s) who really pissed us all off a while ago. heh

Shlup
01-28-2003, 01:35 AM
All conversation and no spem make Mandee something, something... :Oo:

And, thank you, Aaron. I do keep this place in tip-top place, don't I? *shine*

The Man
01-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Raist, I'm going to add my own two cents: Yeah, if certain people finally got the message and finally left FF:WA, at least half its problems would be solved. But I'll stop ranting now. EoFF's staff does a far better job of things than the staff at most other forums I visit, not least because they don't keep overturning their own decisions and banning and unbanning and banning and unbanning people and being spineless. The fact that you guys aren't afraid to voice your opinions of things and hold by that makes all the difference in the world.

Shlup, yeah, you're a good Knight. :love: :p

CloudDragon
01-28-2003, 01:37 AM
OMG Raistlin, nice to see you have returned, for now I guess, I believe the FF7 General Trivia thread is still alive, somewhere.

Yes, it seems the Staff here have always been very good at their jobs, and being a part of the EoFF community as well. I commend them to. :D

Bahamut2000X
Okay, bashing other sites = bad.

But Bleys it's just so......satisfying.:)

edczxcvbnm
I think we know the reason why FFWA sucks. Final Fantasys with attitude...okay bad pun. I have never actually been there. Only heard of it but anything that ends in WA as an abbrviation can't be good.

That staff here is alright I guess. It is all in how you think things should be run as to how good you think the staff is doing.

Del Murder
01-28-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
All conversation and no spem make Mandee something, something... :Oo:
Sperm?

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-28-2003, 01:45 AM
Way to catch that, Del. Have a Gummi Bear.

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 01:49 AM
LOL, I completely forgot about the FF7 General Trivia...I might have to start a new one.

Sakura Yume
01-28-2003, 03:15 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>I love the staff here. *nods* Bleys probably knows why cos he's seen the FFR wars. -.-; *hugs all the staffies*

Scottie
01-28-2003, 03:29 AM
Thank you thank you, yes I take all the credit.

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 04:27 AM
*kicks Scottie*

I was a well-established mod here when you were still in diapers, kiddie. :P

Scottie
01-28-2003, 04:31 AM
And look where that got you.

Agent Proto
01-28-2003, 04:37 AM
Well, I'm a more established mod than you'd be. :D

*kicks Raistlin*

Oh yeah. I try my best to keep EoFF in order. *nod*

Big Ogre Umaro
01-28-2003, 05:04 AM
I do my best to keep the message board in a state of disarray. These wusses keep insisting on <i>order</i>. Wusses.

Sephex
01-28-2003, 05:07 AM
Now that I think about it, this place does have the best staff I have ever seen.

Dr Unne
01-28-2003, 05:54 AM
<i>I was a well-established mod here when you were still in diapers, kiddie. :P</i> --Raist

I can think of at least five things wrong with that sentence.

Yes, we're all great, etc. etc. If anyone gets all the credit, it's RSL.

Aika
01-28-2003, 06:11 AM
well i have been to three message boards seriously

the first one the mods themselves flamed and spent days on end whining about spam

the second one had mods that would curse at you and bacially ignore alot of flaming. one a-hole mod went off on me and caused him to get banned :) And then when i came back saying how i felt unwanted i was blamed for his actions and called an 'ungreatfull *****' by the owner. ahhhhh classy.

this place has the best mods ive seen so far. really you guys do a good job. Proto, Loony, Unne, RK come to mind though there are others there are alot of mods here o_O everyone does their part.

but they all handle topics responcibly and appropriatly and do a very good job. I have always noticed the good staff here just because ive seen ALOT of mods who are jerks and step on whoever they want just because they can.

so keep up the good work guys...i mean it.

Dr Unne
01-28-2003, 06:30 AM
A good part of the reason the staff is good here is because the members are good here and we don't have to constantly deal with tons and tons of morons breaking the rules. We get a few who do, yeah, but most of you make running this place very easy. Honestly, most of us do hardly anything. I feel like all of you are my equal or superior, and I don't know if I can say that about many other MBs.

Spuuky
01-28-2003, 06:43 AM
We feel like we're all your superior, too, Unne.

Dr Unne
01-28-2003, 06:49 AM
And well you should.

Shlup
01-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Del Murder
Sperm? Oh my... [/pseudoindignace]

Citizen Bleys
01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
I don't know about myself, but I do know the rest of the staff is absolutely awesome. I've been a moderator at other boards before, and absolutely *hated* it. Being on Staff here, though, is tons of fun, because I have the best support a Staff member at any board could hope for. I can always count on my fellow Staff members to be here when I need them, and to take strong action when I don't know what to do. And for some reason, they put up with me when I do stuff like adding "trout" to the profanity filter and making the Del Murder forum.

Loony BoB
01-28-2003, 12:37 PM
*re-reads Aaron's first post*

...wait, wait.

Whaddya mean, we haven't been perfect!?

Bleys: Seriously. Most of the Staff actually like it when you do that stuff. I think it's just most of the MEMBERS that put up with you ;)

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Everyone has to work at putting up with Bleys.

*kicks Unne* Nothing wrong with my sentence. I'm perfect in every way, remember. :P

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-28-2003, 01:41 PM
An ego like that seems like a big imperfection. *taps nose*

Nait
01-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Bah, we all know you guys suck. But we still lovoo. :love:

Raistlin
01-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Yes, they do suck.

And, no, it's not an imperfection. I'm perfect in every way. That's just pure fact right there.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-28-2003, 06:08 PM
If you say so. :rolleyes2

Leeza
01-28-2003, 06:15 PM
If he says that it's so, then it must be so. How can anyone argue with facts? ;)

HOORJ
01-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Proto is mah best friend <3

Aika
01-28-2003, 08:52 PM
This thread is rated 'A' for asskiss. Veiwer discression advised

:yellowkin

Burtsplurt
01-28-2003, 09:14 PM
I like the staff here. Well... technically I like RSL, but the rest seem kind of okay. ;)

Originally posted by Aaron
What makes <I> you</I> so sure, dummy? You're not an administrator. *enforces Del*

I don't care about being Knighted, anyway. :p

Haha, that made my day.

Rydia of Mist
01-28-2003, 11:02 PM
And it seems like I'm the one who usually tidys up after Bleysie-poo when he creates the über-sillies, with Unne probably in close contention with my position. :p

But hey... I know I'm doing my best to make this place run well. I love this place, and probably always will.

*mass huggle*

Del Murder
01-28-2003, 11:16 PM
So are we getting the Del Murder forum back up or what?

Ryo
01-29-2003, 01:30 AM
<a href="http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showgroups.php?s=">WE LOVE THE EOFF STAFF</a>

EDIT BY BoB: See the thread title and topic, yo. Aaron ain't EoFF Staff =o

The Man
01-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Back to WA, you.

It's funny to see someone post something in this thread that the staff will have to deal with. Funny in a "HAHA YOU LOSER" sort of way, I think.

Yamaneko
01-29-2003, 01:42 AM
Wow. That was either extremely good editing that deserves a prize or ...*blows up*.:D

The Man
01-29-2003, 01:44 AM
YOU deserve a prize, BoB. FANTASTIC editing! :D

Ryo
01-29-2003, 01:44 AM
All I wanted to do was show my appreciation for The Man (tm) :(

The Man
01-29-2003, 01:46 AM
Obviously, it's off-topic, Ryo. Now BACK TO FF:WA. :D

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 01:52 AM
:( I actually thought the edit was really crappy. I want a little thing that shows me crashing into something and then not making any sense at all.

*sleeps*

The Man
01-29-2003, 01:55 AM
That last post works.

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 01:58 AM
The Man? Aaron, are you The Man from FFWA? The well-known FFWA vet?

The Man
01-29-2003, 02:03 AM
Nope, I'm the well-known FF:WA newbie Rand al'Thor, formerly known as The Man™. "The Man" from a few years ago was a different person.

Red Wizard
01-29-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Gareas
(other stuff)... and making the Del Murder forum.

How in the heck did I miss that? Just hearing about it rawks.

Oh, on a scale of 1 to "Awesome", the EoFF staff is "Super Great".

The Man
01-29-2003, 02:05 AM
Is that better or worse than "Awesome"?

I'm confused.

Awrini
01-29-2003, 02:07 AM
I say the Del Murder forum should return...

And yes... Bleys is still on crack.

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 02:18 AM
*whew*

Ok, for a moment I actually thought you were <i>the</i> The Man. Hehe

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-29-2003, 02:30 AM
When the Del Murder forum was deleted,l my Bleys=crack equation was lost.

Awrini
01-29-2003, 03:00 AM
You mean "our" right Spiff.

Leeza
01-29-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Red Wizard
How in the heck did I miss that? Just hearing about it rawks.

It's okay, I think Del missed it as well. It did rawk for a little while.

SpikingZero
01-29-2003, 04:07 AM
I hate to be the idiot of the thread, but who or what was FFWA? Other than an FF site and a message board gone bad...or is that pretty much summing it up?

I'll just go now...

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-29-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by enano
You mean "our" right Spiff.
Of course that's what I ment.

ps. HAH SPIKING ZERO IS THE IDIOT OF THE THREAD HHAHAHAHA lolwtf ur losr plz

Anywho, FFWA = Final Fantasy Worlds Apart. Different forum, you know. I'd provide a link, but I'm too damn lazy and it has no place 'round these parts.

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 04:47 AM
FFWA, as already stated: Final Fantasy: Worlds Apart. The largest FF MB I've ever seen, which had about 8,000 members the last time I was there well over half a year ago.

Rob, the owner of the UBB, is one of the coolest guys I've known(he calls himself a "Drunken Englishman"). I think I still have his ICQ # somewhere. I might go bug him sometime. hehe

A lot of us original EoFFers came from FFWA. Chief among those are:

-Me(of course. :P)
-Sean himself(He was Cid Highwind at FFWA, a fairly well-known vet)
-BUO
-RSL(He was Rydia's Secret Lover at FFWA, but changed it to RSL 'cause stupid people thought he was a girl)
-Rydia(one of the first mods...left when EoFF was still in EzBoard stage)

Did I miss anyone? Don't think so...

Del Murder
01-29-2003, 04:55 AM
I always thought I was Jesus, just could never prove it. Now it's lost forever. Anyone seen goku lately?

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-29-2003, 05:02 AM
Aw. You'll always be Jesus in my eyes. Well, no, not really. Have a cookie.

Spuuky
01-29-2003, 05:10 AM
He appears in EoEO at times. As I recall his residence in England make the time zones confusing.

You're not Jesus, but you'll always be a savior to me.

Evelia
01-29-2003, 06:10 AM
I've been a member two months, but I've been lurking in this forum for a long time and I'm really impressed with how well-kept and peaceful it is. And just about everyone seems to have a great sense of humor. :) I like this place a lot. So... great job.

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Just remember, it's the Knights who ban people. We admins are adorable and cute.

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 12:22 PM
We know. *cuddles his Sco Sco doll*

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 12:29 PM
That's disturbing, BoB.

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 12:36 PM
You should see what I did to YOUR doll.

Scottie
01-29-2003, 02:09 PM
You say my name incorrectly one more time and I'm changing your name to 'My Buddy Dan'

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 02:44 PM
BoB is just generally disturbing, Bleys. *nods*

*wants to see BoB's name changed* Hehe

*doesn't have a doll*

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Who says I don't call Sean 'Sco Sco', huh?

Spatvark
01-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm an FF:WA member and I never leave the fanfic forums because most of the people there aren't particularly nice. While I idle in teh chatroom, I've seen about thirty people come up with plans to screw up Fool's Gold and various nasty things. In general. the atmosphere on FF:WA is a crappy one. [/bitchin' 'bout FF:WA]

Staff here have to put up with a lot and they do so excellently. I remember back when we had several EoFFers publicly say lots of nasty things about staff and their decisions but they held their cool and no-one got banned and well... things seem a hell of a lot more sedate here these days. So, they do a good job and I'm sure they do like hearing this kinda stuff, but mweh. I think my nose is stuck so far up Bleys' butt, it's gonna be stained XD

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-29-2003, 05:54 PM
There are admin dolls? Are they voodoo-ritual ready, or go I have to buy an upgrade?

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 06:46 PM
There'd better not be admin dolls.

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 06:57 PM
<i>"Staff here have to put up with a lot" </i>

ROFL. You can't even imagine. Staff everywhere have to put up with shit. Were you at FFWA when clOuD and company were bashing Rich for being a "newbie" admin? They made a whole EzBoard JUST to bash Rob and SS(Rich) at. If you weren't there, you can't even imagine what he put up with. To this day I don't know why Rob didn't just ban their asses to begin with.

Here, and at most boards(like tGA), problems are can usually be centered on one or two people. We have troubles with about a person at a time. Oftentimes it is funny(Tonberry threatened to sue Cid when he was banned, and said his lawyer stated he had a $50,000 case), and never really serious.

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Haha, I remember Tonberry. Whatadork.

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:11 PM
That reminds me of the guy who said he was going to sue us for racism when we banned him.

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 07:12 PM
y'mean there was only one?

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:14 PM
I like to think it was just one big dumb person, yes.

edczxcvbnm
01-29-2003, 07:17 PM
There was a guy who was going to sue you because he thought you banned him for racsim? :laugh: That is why I wish I was on the staff. I like to read all the funny stuff like that...racism :laugh: What was that fool thinking?

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 07:21 PM
He was thinking he could capitalize on being black by bringing unfounded accusations to bear :| I guess he didn't realize that the mod who banned him was a visible minority, which would have caused his whole case to fall flat on its face if he had been dumb enough to bring it to court :p

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 07:24 PM
If the court didn't just dismiss the case to begin with.

In my area, a group of people were suing McDonalds for causing obesity. It was dismissed right after the introductions. Heh

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:24 PM
I'd love to have edc see the Staff Forum.

We'd have to kill him, of course.

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 07:26 PM
I think that's about an even trade-off. :P

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:26 PM
No comment.

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Wuss.

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Raistlin. *wins*

edczxcvbnm
01-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
I'd love to have edc see the Staff Forum.

We'd have to kill him, of course.

Kill me? You can kill me but the legend will never die! My rage will live on!

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 07:33 PM
BoB. *wins more*

*kills ed*

EDIT BY LOONY: *wins most*

edczxcvbnm
01-29-2003, 07:34 PM
:x_x:

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Maggot-waggon.

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Back on topic, aren't I great?

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 07:36 PM
No.

*bops Loony Bin*

*has a new nickname for Bob*:P

edczxcvbnm
01-29-2003, 07:38 PM
We are on topic...I guess. You guys are talking about how the Great Staff is going to kill me. It is all on topic!:erm:

*remembers he is dead*

:x_x:

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 07:38 PM
"Asorie has inspired me in the staff" ~Krel

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Raistlin and Sir Krelean are two people I've always subconciously put into the same category. Random thought.

Krel was cool though. Anyone heard from him at all?

Citizen Bleys
01-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Not in an age.

As for Krel being cool, I don't think posting pictures of one's shlong in EoFF chat qualifies as "cool".

According to BOU, though, Krel's mom is cool.

Loony BoB
01-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah, well... everyone has their ... uh... days...

Raistlin
01-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Wasn't it Krelian, not Krelean? I really do think so...

Anyways, meh. Krel was kinda cool. Didn't hang around much.

Now Heero...there was cool. He used to be around here somewhere. I need to bring him back. Him and Nick(NIAP).

krissy
01-29-2003, 11:36 PM
yes, we do need them back.
i can get in touch with Nick easy, but matt will be harder to swing.

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Yeah, Heero was spiff at tGA.

NIAP was a good roleplayer (and I'm still jealous of that map !@$#@#$), but he seemed to sit all the silliness out.

Daventhalas
01-30-2003, 12:22 AM
And what, Daven was no good?

Daven didn't put effort into RP's, make mad cash off of his store?

Alright, that's cool. ^_^

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 12:27 AM
As I recall, Daven was a recluse. Hardly spoke at all.

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Hey, more tGA people. And I even recognise this one.

Daventhalas
01-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Hey, that was only for the second round of RPing Bleys. ^_^

You should recognize me... I've been a tGA admin.... forever.... @_@ I wonder if I still am. I'm gonna go hop on over there.

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 12:32 AM
*razes Adlehyde*

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I think you guys started a new board. You were talking about starting up all over again, I think I posted three months after someone had the idea and two months after the last person posted. >=p

Big Ogre Umaro
01-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Sir Krel now hangs out at Abandonware channels on IRC and goes under the IRC/AIM handle "manwohat," which many original EoFF members will remember was his original member name at EoFF. That sentence kicked so much ass.

Haha, lotta tGA people. I'm lovin' every second of it. *Prince Edge*

Is the original huge Mass Fic/RP still archived anywhere? I wanna see it. >=D

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Daven! Woot!

We need to revive tGA now(again).

And if any other admins actually RP this time, it might stay alive. I was kinda getting tired of it being me and Bleys and the occasional Heero.

Reno: You can talk to NicK? GET HIM OVER HERE!

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 12:45 AM
Let's see if you can manage to get Britt to post there. Heh.

Daventhalas
01-30-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm all up for tGA-ing again. But are we gonna do it at ezboard? The pop-ups suck. Venura is a good board system, but it's down more then it's up these days.

And I rp'ed a whole bunch! ^_^ I've always been more of a back ground character though.

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 12:48 AM
...you guys get a site, I'll pitch in for a vBB. Depending on the overall cost.

Dr Unne
01-30-2003, 12:59 AM
You guys remember that the first GA was pretty much a total failure, right?

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 01:00 AM
And when that happens, I can revive Something?.

And when that dies, I can revive something else. And so on. Fun.

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 01:15 AM
I'm willing to pay for a vBB.

Hey, let's do this:

I'll look into the cost and then check my finances on how much I can pay. If I can't pay it all(which would make it easier than about 6 people paying, since we'd have to transfer money), I'll let ya guys know(Daven and BoB right now; hopefully later also Reno, Nick, and Heero).

EDIT: Yes, Unne, it was. But the second and third ones kicked ass. :P

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 01:18 AM
How many were there? I was only at the last one.

Daventhalas
01-30-2003, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I'd be willing to pitch money to ya, Raist. Though, I'm already pitching some money towards server space at another RPing community... so I'll have to review my finances as well.

And sure... tGA flopped a few times, but when it was going, it was a lot of fun. Hopefully, we can make it fun again, even if it will be only for a little while...

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 01:33 AM
There have been...3 tGAs. First one was a flop. 2nd and 3rd ones lasted quite a while.

Ok, Daven, cool. I'll go check into it right now, in fact.

Dr Unne
01-30-2003, 01:41 AM
What do you consider "2nd" and "3rd"? Was I there for that?

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 01:52 AM
2nd = after first reopening.

3rd = no, you weren't there for it. It was the latest one.

It's $160 for unlimited liscence. I need to check my wallet. Heh
Anyways, it's an extra $135 for professional installation. I have no bloody clue how to install it, so I'm hoping one of the admins here(probably Bleys or Scottie) could help us out. Cause $295 is a lot of money.

Oh, and Daven: do you still have that shell for the website? We'll probably need a website to connect it to, so restart work on that again(tell me if you need anything).

Rirse
01-30-2003, 01:56 AM
Even so I once had a desired to be a knight here, it pretty much ended after leaving countless times. But in reality, it pointless to even think about appointing me. I don't have the manpower to read all threads and mod out those who wrong. The staff here are great, and very nice people (all like TRT. :D), so nobody here sucks. :D

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 02:00 AM
LOL. Trust me, as an ex-mod of here and FFWA, the staff doesn't read all the threads. :P

Maybe here in GC, but here's probably the only fully-modded forum.

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 02:10 AM
That's not so true, Raistlin. Speak for yourself >=p Not all, but more than just General Chat. I read most EoEO and Lounge threads.

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 02:16 AM
BoB:

Oh, wow, you look at a whole 3 forums, out of...?

My point exactly. :P

Big Ogre Umaro
01-30-2003, 02:31 AM
vBulletin installation is the easiest thing in the world. Professional installation for $135 has to be the biggest scam I can think of. I'll install yours for $70 :aimsun:

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 02:37 AM
Funny, Umy. Real funny. You almost had me going there. Almost.

*kicks Umy's head in*

Daventhalas
01-30-2003, 08:22 AM
If by shell, you mean this (http://members.lycos.co.uk/daventhalas/tga.html) ! Then ya... I got a shell.

If not, then I don't have a friggin' clue what you're saying. @_@

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Raistlin
BoB:

Oh, wow, you look at a whole 3 forums, out of...?

My point exactly. :P

"Maybe here in GC, but here's probably the only fully-modded forum."

The latter comment was the one I was saying was wrong, yo.

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Daven: Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I'll work on button descriptions and stuff(and give you that FAQ).

"<i>Reno has talent doesn't he? I can't remember.... </i>"

ROFL

Anyways, BooB, you know I was exagerating when I said only GC. My point was the majority of the threads are not fully modded.

That point is the only good thing I can think of to say about forum mods.

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 04:30 PM
The 3rd tGA rocked because I was in it.

If we make a fourth, I can contribute a plot and some characters that I had developed for Bandit Barons of Grandbell, since I think that I'll never finish that. I'll even RP Despard, just not all 3 of the brothers that were the main characters. And admins will have to RP Sir Lysander, Khasra, and Adevia, at the very least.

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Cool.

I dunno if we should make a new plot or just continue off with the war with Yurius...

Well, first thing's first. Don't need to worry about that yet. heh

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 08:05 PM
The Manster Rebellion is sort of Heero's boy. I think it's lain quiet for far too long to revive it...Although without question, it must be decided how that quest is resolved and what happens to some of the major characters, as they might be re-used in later plots.

Actually, I was thinking about this on my walk today, and now I'm really keen on reviving tGA. In addition to the Bandit Barons plotline, I have some sketchy ideas for future RPs on a global scale, one using some of my characters (I'd RP the main villain) and one bringing back a ghost from the past.

I tried to scare up a host, too, but the best I could find was $10 for the first year, and $50 for each year thereafter...and they probably insist on a minimum term of some sort, although I couldn't find it.

As for a board, if vBulletin's too expensive, and you're too chicken to use a pirated one ( :D ), there's always ikonboard...I think they're free.

Rydia of Mist
01-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Ikonboard = ick.

Invision is the way of the future. *nod* Just ask BOU.

Rirse
01-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Rydia of Mist
Ikonboard = ick.

Invision is the way of the future. *nod* Just ask BOU.

http://twistedrpg.nulani.net/ Indeed it is. My new board is a Invision Board and with a few help from Kiwibonga, looks very great. Ikonboard was okay, but it nothing to special. *huggles Rydia*

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 09:40 PM
*arf*, I'm willing to use a pirated vBB. >=D

Bleys: I wasn't talking about Manster rebellion. I was just talking about Yurius. Manster is all Heero.
I had even begun to write a story on it. You know how I said I was going to write a fiction story about all of tGA(starting from the Quest of Cardia to the Sydney Wars to Ofuchi)? Well, I skipped ahead a bit and started writing about Ofuchi, and then going on to Yurius, since Raistlin is especially involved in the Yurius story(the present one...not the King of Cardia). Anyway, if we don't continue on with that, I'll just make up the last half or so of it. Heh

I think Daven and I are set on vBB. Legally free MBs suck now. :P

EDIT: Actually, that Invision thing doesn't look too bad. Hehe, definately easier on the finances.

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Okay, so I must be stupid or something...I thought Yurius was the villain in the Manster Rebellion, and hadn't done anything else since the Losstarot Wars.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 12:16 AM
Yurius was the main villain, as far as I'm concerned. Heero wanted the whole Agarwaen/Kheldar thing to get off, but Yurius was the main bad guy. The Manster rebellion was a <i>part</i> of the Yurius RPG, not the whole thing.

I was thinking of bringing back Yurius, maybe having Manster fight with him, again, but completely leaving out on the drama of Agarwaen and Kheldar.

Loony BoB
01-31-2003, 12:17 AM
I could finally revive BoB, heh. He kinda collapsed at some point and nothing much has happened since.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 12:29 AM
*lightbulb*

Actually, we could make BoB the main protagonist. Remember that idea I PMed to you way back? We could do that. I'd RP the main bad guy mage you turned you into a jaguar. *nod*

EDIT: for further clarification, you'd have sort of the same relationship as Hiroshi did with Ofuchi...Not exactly, but sorta. (Evil mage, plus helpless apprentice/assitant thing)

EDIT2: and I object to having one of the main characters named BoB. :P Can you come up with a real name?

*gets ready to laugh at BoB's response*

EDIT: *is a stupid arse*

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 01:03 AM
Heero had no relationship with Ofuchi.

Hiroshi (Ofuchi's former unwilling apprentice) was one of my characters.

As for Yurius, one of my ideas was not really an idea, just a realization that I really liked the sound of the name "Kritiker Losstarot" and could probably weave a story of some descendant of one of Sydney Losstarot's uncles or something trying to revive Losstarot's empire at Lea Monde/Miletos

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 01:05 AM
Yes, Hiroshi. That's what I <i>meant</i>.

*has no clue why he put Heero*

*edit*

Bleys, that's actually a pretty good idea. We could set it like right after the Cataclysm after the Sydney wars.

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 01:09 AM
Stupidity?

And speaking of stupidity, mayhap the talk of reviving tGA deserves its own thread? We seem to have hijacked this one.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Hijacking is fun.

Anyways, Bleys, I editted my last post with what I had to say about your suggestion. *too lazy to type it again*

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 02:41 AM
Time-jumping would be kind of confusing. Wouldn't it be better to set it after the Manster Rebellion? That way we could keep a smooth timeline for Third-Era tGA--first the Ofuchi Usurpation, then the Manster Rebellion, then the Second Losstarot War, and then, if there's still interest, we could RP Bandit Barons of Grandbell. Or else do Bandit Barons first and follow up with the Second Losstarot War. And either way, we could place the wizard who morphed BoB into it on the side of the villains. (He'd be working with the Alenians, if Bandit Barons--Khasra doesn't have the balls to work with evil wizards)

There are a lot of ways it could be done, really. Maybe we could find out who'd be participating and put it to them: Would they rather RP in a World War scenario, or a Civil War? (Personally, I'd prefer to do the Losstarot War initially--we just RP'd two civil wars already, one in Grandbell and then one in Manster. Although Bandit Barons is really a continuation of the Ofuchi Ussurpation, a global conflict would make it more plausible--tensions would have time to mount in Grandbell, to the point where the Provisional Government loses its control over the periphery of Grandbell...we could even have Scundia declare independence during the Second Losstarot war....*realizes he's rambling*

I'm assuming, though, that we *are* going to revive tGA, then? Am I clear to start recruiting?

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 02:47 AM
Sure. Daven's working to finish the website. Once that's done, I think we're going with Invision for an MB. So, I'll download that and...

Wait a sec. Do need a suggestion:
What webhost should we use for the website and board? We could just use Daven's, I guess, since his board's already there, but I think he mainly uses it for webspace to upload crap(like I do).
Preferably free, mind you. :P

EDIT: I also, would rather do a world war plot. The Sydney/Yurius War was fun. *nods*

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 03:20 AM
If Daven's got a host, then it's all settled. URL, plz.

Keep in mind, pretty much any forum worth wiping your bum on requires PHP to be enabled server-side and a mySQL database. Total number of free hosts providing php/mySQL with no pop-up ads: 0.

Yes, hosting is the hardest question.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 03:23 AM
Daven's host? Lycos. http://members.lycos.co.uk/daventhalas

Not much help there.

*has no clue about setting up a forum*

Big Ogre Umaro
01-31-2003, 03:25 AM
http://coolfreepages.com/ was what I used before I stopped being cheap and paid for hosting. Well, actually the costs were split but that hardly matters. That doesn't even figure into the story. wtf shut up.

CFP has one pop-up ad that isn't annoying if you set it to another web page once it's popped up. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled new sign-ups. Didn't check. But yeah, pay-hosting is such a breath of fresh air.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 03:27 AM
Hehe, I'll look into it, Umy.

EDIT: I said preferably free. Didn't make it a requirement. If you have a really cool not-so-expensive pay-host, I'd be willing to have a look.

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 03:40 AM
This is the best deal I could find:

http://www.aspwebserver.com/domainunix.asp

Shiroi Kumo
01-31-2003, 03:41 AM
Is this a dig at the staff of FG? :O_O:

Big Ogre Umaro
01-31-2003, 03:55 AM
Bleys, that's an insanely awesome deal if the hosts aren't a buncha jerkfaces, which hosts tend to be, and with good reason!

Shiroi, stop talking gibberish.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 03:59 AM
Umy is his usual cheerful self as always.

That does sound like a really good deal. Especially if me and Daven split the costs.

The Man
01-31-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Gareas
He was thinking he could capitalize on being black by bringing unfounded accusations to bear :| I guess he didn't realize that the mod who banned him was a visible minority, which would have caused his whole case to fall flat on its face if he had been dumb enough to bring it to court :p Hahaha, I got like eight million emails from him for some reason. I remember that. I think Proto sent me the thread too. Maybe I should attach it later for shits and giggles.

Originally posted by Shiroi Kumo
Is this a dig at the staff of FG? :O_O: No, it's a dig at the staff of FF:WA. Read the whole thread, there, Cloudy-boy. Get yer head out of the clouds. If you catch my drift.

Chaos Weapon
01-31-2003, 04:27 AM
It's turned into hell at FFWA, as a matter of factly, and Aaron, do you have like...two accounts or did I miss a name-changing thread?

The Man
01-31-2003, 04:28 AM
That's why I seldom post at FF:WA anymore. I like the way it's impossible to start a thread without getting flamed there these days.

I IMed an admin earlier asking to have my name changed; it's for the upcoming election. We don't have name-changing threads here; admins just change names at request.

Chaos Weapon
01-31-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by The Man™
That's why I seldom post at FF:WA anymore. I like the way it's impossible to start a thread without getting flamed there these days.

I IMed an admin earlier asking to have my name changed; it's for the upcoming election. We don't have name-changing threads here; admins just change names at request.

Oh, I see. Alright, I'll change sometime one day. Anyways, it IS tough to post at FFWA with Jay and the people of his type there. You always get flamed and if you check out the latest threads, all of them have at least one Jay-flame in them. Heh. He's not a bad person, he's just too wrapped up in his hatred. I pity him a lot.

The Man
01-31-2003, 04:39 AM
Jay, Jessica and Dan are all going to get themselves banned for trolling if they don't watch it. I've learned to ignore them, though. Still the staff should be less forgiving about things like that, I think. It really pisses me off when I start a perfectly good thread and then someone decides to post all sorts of flames and crap there. That's why I don't really even bother anymore. My campaign for Luis convinced me that it's not worth it, considering more posts were flaming me than contributing to the campaign.

But we're totally off-topic, so I'll stop now.

Nojiko
01-31-2003, 05:52 AM
This is an outrage! FFR Staff sucks the most! I Demand an investigation! *rampages*

Daventhalas
01-31-2003, 06:00 AM
We're gonna have to register a domain name too, methinks. Anyone know offhand how much that costs?

And how do you guys remember so much about the RP? I can barely remember what I did yesterday... @_@

Rirse
01-31-2003, 06:16 AM
So what board are you three trying to revive? I know it not HappypeepeeHead's board or The Bastard Child board (whatever it called).

The Man
01-31-2003, 08:37 AM
FFR?

FFO's staff is apparently pretty crap, too. So crap that I never bothered signing up there. *I'd* probably be banned within the hour.

Nemesis the Warlock
01-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the staff here is great. I want to be like them (well, not all of them, obviously...).

We shouldn't take staff like this for granted. I'm member of an emulation forum I can't name, where the staff spends all day bullying newbies in the most brutal way ("You stupid newbie, shut up if you don't know what you're talking about!"), and things like that. Now if the staff here wanted, they could act like that, and nobody could tell them otherwise.

The worst staff is on www.ffsteve.com , though.

The Man
01-31-2003, 08:53 AM
I'm bored and REALLY don't feel like driving home and sleeping, so I'm going to write up tributes to each and every one of the admins here (I'll get to the mods when I'm LESS tired). Others may follow my lead if they so desire.

Sean: Even though you've not been around here much lately, EoFF wouldn't have been EoFF without you. All the precedents you set in place have ensured that total and utterchaos won't ensue here, and the no-shit-distribution environment of EoFF has kept many, many people happy for a long, long time. So cheers. <3

Dr Unne: You seriously need to stop ragging on yourself so bloody much. You're one of the most excellent posters on any message board I've ever visited, and the place has been running so much smoother since you stepped up as an admin. Pretty much every bit of praise you get, you deserve.

Scottie: We've had our disagreements in the past, but you've done a fabulous job of keeping the site and the chat running well. Compared to #ff-wa, #eoff is complete heaven, and that's certainly mostly your doing. I don't show up in there much because I'm not an IRC-type person, but as someone who's had to take tons of shit in FF:WA's chatroom, I thank you for making sure that #eoff remains a *civil* environment.

Rydia of Mist: I suppose the fact that I supermodded you on Fool's Gold speaks for itself, but EoFF definitely wouldn't be EoFF without you. You're one of the most level-headed and unsinkable people I've ever worked with, and that's a VERY good thing. Keep your head up.

Gareas: Ah, Bleys. EoFF wouldn't be EoFF without its Insane Administrator. From the Del Murder Forum to Kick Bleys in the Crotch Day, this place has always been made a whole helluva lot more entertaining with your presence. You do a fantastic job keeping the forums working well, and your judgments are pretty much impeccable. Glad you've started appearing on AIM again, too.

Yeah. Mods, you'll get your stuff later.

Spuuky
01-31-2003, 08:57 AM
edczxcvbnm: You're an amazing admin in my mind and heart, no matter what the others say.

The Man
01-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Excellent.

Shiroi Kumo
01-31-2003, 09:04 AM
No, it's a dig at the staff of FF:WA. Read the whole thread, there, Cloudy-boy. Get yer head out of the clouds. If you catch my drift. ...

Your drift, huh? Sorry for trying to insert some spam-like humour into the thread, m'lord.

Cheers.

The Man
01-31-2003, 09:05 AM
I was pretty sure that I was joking, too.

Shiroi Kumo
01-31-2003, 09:10 AM
I was pretty sure that I was joking, too. With you, I can never tell...

Cheers.

Spuuky
01-31-2003, 09:10 AM
Goes to show what you know about your own intentions.

And Shiroi, my dear, it's easier to tell you're joking if you're actually funny.

Shiroi Kumo
01-31-2003, 09:14 AM
Your sense of humour, my dear friend, is sadly tainted, and I fear little would appear as humour to you.

Cheers.

Nemesis the Warlock
01-31-2003, 11:18 AM
That doesn't sound right. We all had a good laugh when you thought Morocco was in Mexico, or that the German Chocolate Cake you buy in Canada is shipped from Germany.

Is it just me, or are we giving a bad example of Fool's Gold staff here? :D

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 02:26 PM
BUO got himself banned within five minutes of registering at FFO. >=D

Anyways, the board we're reviving is The Gamers Alliance...it first started about a month after The Highwind(Highwind started: 12/5/99...tGA started 1/_/00)

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Daven: How can you *not* remember the storyline to tGA? It kicked a mountain of ass the size of the Death Star.

I gotta start working on a character for the Second Losstarot War. I do kind of feel like RP'ing Leon again, but I think that'll probably pass well before the RP is over, and Leon's getting harder and harder to RP as he comes into his power.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 04:14 PM
You can use him as a secondary character(to, you know, pop in sometimes mysteriously as the story progresses...kinda like that one Aindan, what's-his-name, did in the last plot). But I think it'd be best if you didn't have him as a main character again.

I dunno what I'm going to do with Raistlin. I'm still gonna RP him...I just don't know how much.

Btw, me and Daven have settled on Invision boards, and also that Windows/Unix host Bleys gave us. It looks pretty nifty.

Citizen Bleys
01-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Taliesin, or Kagetsu?

I already have a massive plot idea concerning Kagetsu, but I don't quite want to RP major villain just yet, and I'm not so sure you guys'll even go for it in the first place.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 04:41 PM
The one I was talking about was Taliesin.

Losstarot's descendant is going to be the first villain. I dunno about Kagetsu yet. I'll have to hear the idea first(not here).

Anyways, Daven said he should have some free time this weekend to get the domain name, get the sever(which'll rock). When he gets that done, I'll download the Invision board. *nods*

So me and Daven will be the REAL owners this time. Not like tGA, which sucked arse.

Daventhalas
01-31-2003, 06:52 PM
Yeah!

Man, I've been RPing constantly on MB's for the last 4 years... seen a large number of great RP's and RPers, and yeah, from I remember of the last RP at tGA it was pretty damn good. But what it all comes down to, is that my memory sucks. @_@ I can remember only bits and pieces of everything.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 07:43 PM
Daven: Duh...what's tGA stand for again?

Loony BoB
01-31-2003, 07:50 PM
While looking for various messages sent to me a long time ago by Raistlin, all I uncovered were emails from Bleys regarding the Magestar map. Dangit.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 07:54 PM
Messages?

Oh, those about tGA. I think I could dig those up for ya...

Anyways, don't worry about it right now. We need tGA up and running first.

Nait
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm bored.