PDA

View Full Version : Reduce the 8mths needed to personalise user titles.

white.trash
01-30-2003, 03:01 AM
8 months is just too outrageous. u should go for 3-4mths instead, like how long I've been registered :D.

CloudDragon
01-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Its been like this forever. I don't think anything will be changed. Be lucky its only eight months, some boards you have to post over 1000, and be here for a certain time period. Meh

Del Murder
01-30-2003, 04:54 AM
I suggest 22 days.

Yamaneko
01-30-2003, 05:03 AM
It's not really a big deal having a custom rank:p. Trust me, 8 months will pass really fast.:)

Getting it in 3 or 4 months would diminish the point of having a custom rank since custom ranks are for people that have stuck with the MB or for n00bs that leave and come back 8 months later.:D It's just a little thank you for staying this long.

Dr Unne
01-30-2003, 06:24 AM
8 months is what it's always been, and 8 months is what it's going to be. :)

Spuuky
01-30-2003, 06:34 AM
I think it should be based on being a member for a certain percentage of the board's existance. Easy calculation, and will scale up to keep the "custom rank" actually meaningfully elitist.

Loony BoB
01-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Spuuky
I think it should be based on being a member for a certain percentage of the board's existance. Easy calculation, and will scale up to keep the "custom rank" actually meaningfully elitist.

Best idea I've heard so far. I always thought 8 months was kind of too short, but y'no, that's just old age :( Doesn't Cheffy already have one? Man, that's fast.

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 04:17 PM
I like 8 months. It makes my nipples tingly.

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 05:24 PM
I've always thought eight months was <i>really</i> short.

Although, I've been here for...*mental calculation* nearly 38 months. So...yeah. Heh

8 months will go by real fast.

crono_logical
01-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Once you've had it for a while, 8 months feels too short :p

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Actually, I think it should be nine months, so that if somebody decides to have a night of wild, passionate monkey sex to celebrate their joining of EoFF, their custom title would come at the same time as the offspring of that night of wild, passionate monkey sex.

Raistlin
01-30-2003, 11:45 PM
Only you would think like that, Bleys.

Are you drunk...again? :P

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 11:49 PM
never.

Del Murder
01-30-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't think a monkey would have much use for a custom title.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 12:53 AM
Unless they wanted to flaunt their...

wild, passionate monkey sex.

Dr Unne
01-31-2003, 01:48 AM
It's just a word under your name. 8 months is fine for the simple fact that I don't care enough about it to think about changing it.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 01:56 AM
Wow. Unne's being apathetic.

I didn't know ya had it in ya, Carpie. *high five*

*dodges smite*

The Man
01-31-2003, 03:52 AM
Ahh eight months is fine. It seems like an eternity when you're new and stuff, and I felt especially screwed over because I had 2,500 posts by my three-month anniversary of joining EoFF. But really, once you get down to it, custom ranks are an indicator of who's BEEN with us for awhile. And if you lower the limit, that indicator gets removed. Or something. Eh.
Originally posted (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=422815#post422815) by The Man™ long, long ago
They're fine the way they are, methinks. I don't really think it's worth worrying over whether ninety percent of the active members on the fora have custom ranks. I don't think that many have them anyway; I don't, mystic ice goddess doesn't, Ferenan doesn't, and all the newbies don't. Yes, I'll agree that the custom rank requirement isn't designed so that people can register, never post, and then come back eight months later to have a custom rank. I don't think anyone does that intentionally, though. There are people who "slip through the cracks," but why should we care? There are so few of them that it really shouldn't matter. Besides, if the only thing that brings them back is the chance to enter their custom rank, at least it brings them back.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-31-2003, 04:05 AM
The new limit should be twenty-eight months and one day. That should be juuust right. :aimsun:

The Man
01-31-2003, 04:18 AM
Easy for YOU to say, since it doesn't matter WHEN you registered if you're a mod.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 05:00 AM
The new limit should be 4 years solely for the purpose of hearing all the 8 month-old n00bs whining. *nods*

The Man
01-31-2003, 05:04 AM
Wait, wouldn't that mean no one but the staff would have custom titles at all?

Sakura Yume
01-31-2003, 05:20 AM
Ahh eight months is fine. It seems like an eternity when you're new and stuff, and I felt especially screwed over because I had 2,500 posts by my three-month anniversary of joining EoFF. But really, once you get down to it, custom ranks are an indicator of who's BEEN with us for awhile. And if you lower the limit, that indicator gets removed. Or something. Eh.
No-one forced you to post that often. xP Dude! When'd you get your custom rank? *confuzzlement* Bleh... doesn't feel like 8 months. I'm startin' to get old. xD

And yeah, it is rather a short time to get a custom rank imo. I feel like a n00b compared to BOU and co., hardly vetty feelin' at all.

The Man
01-31-2003, 05:26 AM
No-one forced you to post that often. xPYeah, but I had nothing better to do with my time, I guess. ;) I got my rank about two months ago, I think, although I'm really not sure because I lost track of time <s>no</s> thanks to FF:WA.

WA requires either seven months and 1,200 posts or becoming a mod before reaching either of those criteria (I've managed my customs there by the latter category :p), and you can't even use a custom avatar until you've got your customs, so I'd say EoFF is a lot less strict than WA as far as customs are concerned. Be thankful, I guess.

I don't really feel intimidated by people who have been here longer than me, but I do agree that the time has literally flown by.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 02:40 PM
7 months? When I went there it was 6...

<i>"Wait, wouldn't that mean no one but the staff would have custom titles at all?"</i>

Yeah, but it I'd only put it into place for a week or so, but tell everyone it was permanent. Just to piss n00bs off. *nods*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Raistlin
8 month-old n00bsThat is so funny. You don't even know.

Raistlin
02-01-2003, 02:19 AM
Bah. 8-month old n00bs are plentiful.

*has known 2-year n00bs*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-01-2003, 02:57 AM
That's not what I'm talking about. I <i>said</i> you don't even know.

Red Wizard
02-01-2003, 03:28 AM
Go ahead and put the time up to two years... it will give me something to wait for.

Raistlin
02-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Kishi: Then what <i>are</i> you talking about? :P

Red: Nah, it's not gonna change. Even though, as I said, it could be pretty funny. Hehe

Spatvark
02-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Actually, thinking about it; I like the idea of the Custom Title being only possessed by staff and recognised users, of which I'm neither. It just seems to me to actually be a really kewl reward; this thread going as evidence that people do indeed revere the awesiftyness of custom rankness. =P

Raistlin
02-01-2003, 04:26 AM
Custom rankness. Hehe

*in reality, couldn't get a rat's hairy arse about the subject*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Raistlin
Kishi: Then what <i>are</i> you talking about? :PI was made a Knight awfully early after arriving here--less than a month, so when it all went down BOU mentioned that I was indeed just a three-week-old newbie. This stuck with me because sometimes people are cool. Then, when I had been at EoFF for eight months, I quite naturally made my custom rank "Eight-Month-Old Newbie." So, I found it funny that you incidentally used nearly the very same term just then.

And the fact that I had to explain this to you goes to show that intense oldbies--such as yourself--who registered at the Highwind nine minutes before it even <i>existed</i> can be just as clueless as any given twenty-eight-months-and-three-days-old newbie if they haven't really been here the whole time. *drop-kicks*

Citizen Bleys
02-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Point to 'Kishi.

Raistlin
02-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Bah. I'd like you to tell me a long-term vet that has been here every single day.

And, Kishi, when I got my mod powers removed, I <i>did</i> reccomend you to Sean. :P

Dr Unne
02-02-2003, 09:11 PM
I think if we're going to start "ranking" people it should be by how much time they've spent at the MB and how much they've contributed, not how much time has passed since their registration.

Spatvark
02-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Refining my previous idea:

BOTH requirements must be met
1) Minimum time: 8 months.
2) Must be either Admin, mod, Recognised user or Site Staff/Senior Site Staff

This covers people who have been around EoFF for a while AND those who've contributed to EoFF as a whole.

Dr Unne
02-02-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm talking about ranking in the sense that Raist thinks he outranks everyone. I think limiting custom titles to the people you listed would be unnecessarily restrictive and elitist.

Burtsplurt
02-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Purgatory
2) Must be either Admin, mod, Recognised user or Site Staff/Senior Site Staff

But all the people mentioned there already have nice colourful, spangly lettering under their name. To only allow those people custom ranks would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to just about everyone else.

Cynics might note that Site Staff now appears in your list... just as you become one! Heh.

Raistlin
02-03-2003, 12:25 AM
*sigh*

Unne, I'm just joking.

As I've said, I couldn't care less about custom titles, or any titles for that matter. What's under someones MB name doesn't make them better or worse. *shrugs*

EDIT: Except for "Recognized member" titles, solely because when scrolling down I can find my last post easier if the page(and thus, my avatar) hasn't fully loaded yet. :P

Spatvark
02-03-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Purgatory
Actually, thinking about it; I like the idea of the Custom Title being only possessed by STAFF and recognised users, of which I'm neither.

I count Site Staff and Senior Site Staff as Staff in general since they have Staff in their name. Therefore, I included them BEFORE I got this shiny orangey thing underneath my name =P

Del Murder
02-06-2003, 08:28 AM
What about people who pretend to be staff?

Heath
02-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
What about people who pretend to be staff?

Then they get their own pretend, special, colourful writing that doesn't not exist because it's pretend?

Loony BoB
02-06-2003, 08:02 PM
I say we scrap them altogether and replace them with a counter that goes by dddd:hh:mm or something. Then we'd all get nothin' but the TRUTH, dammit.

But then again, the people who registered in uBB / past vBB would have to remember when they joined or something. But that's okay, because I know mine. So yeah.

Orrrrrrrr, we can bring back the post count system and live in a loverly paradise.

Yamaneko
02-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Here's an idea: keep it exactly how it is now. Change is bad.;)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Truly a lad after Unne's own heart.

Raistlin
02-07-2003, 03:41 AM
But wasn't it Unney who changed the system to the way it is now(i.e., no post counts, site staff, broken PMs, etc)? :P

<i>"I say we scrap them altogether and replace them with a counter that goes by dddd:hh:mm or something. Then we'd all get nothin' but the TRUTH, dammit.

But then again, the people who registered in uBB / past vBB would have to remember when they joined or something. But that's okay, because I know mine. So yeah."</i>

That's actually a pretty cool idea, Loony Bin, but you'd have to include something besides a date registered. *amazed*
No prob for me; I too remember the day I first registered.

Liquid Glass
02-07-2003, 03:55 AM
*does boogie*

heh I'm not an 8 month nOOB or whatever, I'm a 12 month noob. So poo on you! heh.

What we SHOULD do is put the post count back and set everyones to "9999999error " or just the 9999999.

yes I am indeed hyper. I have learned to type better online rather than go:

hey wuz up
g2g cya l8er lmao

ahh, good times, not really.
*searched for very first post back in march*

Ah here it is!

What did you think about the part on FF10 when Tidus and Yuna madeout? :whoa:

I just need to know what other people think.

:o :D :rolleyes2 :cool: :p :( :) ;) :eek: :choc: :cry: :mog: :love: :grr:...

I posted 4 times in that.

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15486 ( Ah, my very first post click here.)

edczxcvbnm
02-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
The new limit should be twenty-eight months and one day. That should be juuust right. :aimsun:

I wonder if I am the only one who figured out that was the day you registered...I think....yeah...I think.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-11-2003, 08:41 PM
G'job, lad. *bakes you muffins*

Spuuky
02-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Of course not. But I'll mention it, too, if it gets me Kishi-muffins. Of course, Kishi's my love muffin already.

eestlinc
02-13-2003, 08:22 AM
I distinctly remember Kishi's 8-month-old-newbie theme and all. Eight months of comedy hijinks. Ironically, he also registered on my birthday. Also, for what it's worth, I got my custom rank after 6 months. Finally, I think Raistlin is an old windbag. :D

Tokki Wartooth
02-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Guu
Once you've had it for a while, 8 months feels too short :p
I was going to say that exactly. Xp

Raistlin
02-18-2003, 02:40 AM
eestlinc:

How dare you!

I am a nice, shiny, brand-spankin'-new windbag. *nods*

Just because I've been here for years longer than the lot of you doesn't make me ancient. Actually, it probably does, but...*kills the lot of you* Meh.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-18-2003, 04:45 AM
Aw, you aren't ancient. You're just.... okay ancient. *steals your cane*

Raistlin
02-19-2003, 01:29 AM
It is NOT a cane. That is my <i>Staff.</i>

And give it back! *hobbles*