PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Problem

Zifnab
01-30-2003, 09:37 PM
A keyboard problem, someone's keyboard isn't using the keys she presses, and she's getting random messes of letters too. She's rebooted but that hasn't helped, so she's using the screen keyboard to tell me this. Mostly her keys make the letter D appear alot. She has Win XP and is using a laptop. Any help?

crono_logical
01-30-2003, 09:48 PM
First, try plugging in an external keyboard into the PS/2 port and reboot, and see if it still does that - if it's fixed, it's probably the laptop keyboard that's messed up.

If it still don't work, possibly try uninstalling the keyboard driver and rebooting, and let XP reinstall it on the next boot.

Also look in Language properties and make sure the right language is selected (although this is unlikely the problem if the screen keyboard is working).

Also check for viruses - either that or prank programs installed to do silly stuff like that on startup.

Citizen Bleys
01-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Or else smite the laptop with the Hammer of DEATH.

Del Murder
01-31-2003, 12:00 AM
Hell, smite yourself while you're at it.

Dr Unne
01-31-2003, 01:41 AM
Laptops use weird non-standard keyboard layouts because they don't have as many keys as a normal keyboard. The mapping probably got screwed up. Did she install XP again recently or something? See if there's software that came with the computer maybe. I don't know, I had this problem with a laptop running Linux once.

Raistlin
01-31-2003, 01:50 AM
Laptops sUx0rz.

I reccomend you threaten it with extreme violence. Then it should listen to you.

Zifnab
01-31-2003, 03:20 PM
The keyboard must've sensed your violent solutions somehow, because it sorted itself out :p thanks anyway, maybe someone else can make use of this information :D