PDA

View Full Version : sig hosting

Sephex
02-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Damn it. I try that rancho web place and NOW they charge people...Boomspeed deleted my account even though I had only...ONE FREAKING PICTURE on there and I can't find any place that allows remote linking for free...

I don't want to pay $10.95 a month or whatever just to put a damn picture on the internet.

Or if anyone would be nice enough to host my pic I would appriciate that...but if there is a free hosting site that REALLY IS FREE I would like to know about it so I can have a sig with a pic I made.

Zifnab
02-04-2003, 06:14 PM
My advice is always the same:

The most reliable way would probably be hosting it at geocities, then changing the file extension to .txt. For example if your image was crapsig.jpg, you'd change the name to crapsig.txt, ONCE UPLOADED to geocities (i used to make the mistake of making it a txt file BEFORE uploading... @_@)

Sephex
02-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey cool it worked...thanks! Just one question though...will geocities cancel my account over this if they find out?

Spatvark
02-04-2003, 10:13 PM
How would they find out? Seriously. I've been doing it for over a year at Angelfire and they've never noticed. Just think about how many sites Geocities hosts... they can't check every single site regularly, can they? They probably rely upon reports to find out if this stuff is happening. In other words, I don't think they'll ever find out.

Yamaneko
02-04-2003, 10:28 PM
I also bet it hasn't really become a probelm for them yet, since when I tell people you can remotely link images from Geocities, Anglefire, etc.. they don't believe me.

Just watch, when their bandwith starts getting sucked dried from their free accounts, they'll put a restriction on remote linking .txt files.:p

But for now, it's the best free image host.;)

Sephex
02-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Well just in case I set up another geocities account just for remote linking, so if they do cancel it, no biggie.

blitzballstar01
02-23-2003, 05:18 AM
if anybody's on here then PLEASE HELP ME!!! i tired the geocities thing and it said that the file type could not be changed! whats up with that?!?! help please!

and actually im STILL trying it right now! so if anyone could reply that would help...

this is the message i keep getting:

The new filename for "blitzballstar01.gif" must end with ".gif"

help!

Big Ogre Umaro
02-23-2003, 05:42 AM
download it and change the file type on your computer, then upload it that way. *shrug*

blitzballstar01
02-23-2003, 05:58 AM
DARN IT! its not working. i actually know someone on this site that has an image...ill just ask him at school on monday...or maybe ill pm him. i dont know..man! this bites

Shlup
02-23-2003, 06:01 AM
I always just make a new Boomspeed account. They haven't deleted my new one for a couple of months. :p

CloudDragon
02-23-2003, 07:13 AM
I've been using angelfire with .txt files for well over a year now and it has not stirred me wrong.

Del Murder
02-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Ranchoweb went to pay also. So now I bum off the Korean place that I work for. But that probably doesn't help.

Big D
03-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Ok, probably a dumb question but...
If my sig uses a picture found on a website somewhere, am I breaching any kind of copyright laws? Or am I being a pain in the butt to them by linking to their site?

Zifnab
03-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Big D
Ok, probably a dumb question but...
If my sig uses a picture found on a website somewhere, am I breaching any kind of copyright laws? Or am I being a pain in the butt to them by linking to their site?
Not really copyright laws, but you'd take up some of their bandwidth. It's best to save the image to your HD and upoad it yourself.

Nic
03-17-2003, 01:03 AM
You could always try Speedis.org (http://speedis.org/). It's fast, free, and easy. And I sound like some kind of salesperson. O.o Blarg. But seriously, it works. I usually use Liquid2k.com, but things over there are being weird...so right now I'm having a friend host most of my stuff, but Speedis works ok.

I know of a lot more options, though...