PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts: The Movie

MateriaBladeVII
02-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Well, i guess you all have heard by now that Square and Disney aren't stopping with just the games and all the other merchandise- they're now planning on releasing a Kingdom Hearts movie. And why not since it's such a cool game? Not much has been let out about their plans for their joint-film, so I was just wondering what you all thought about all this. What kinda movie do you think it will be? Live-action? Animated? or perhaps CG? Do you think it will be good? Who do you think will they get to play the characters?

I think this movie would be best animated since Donald and Goofy are already cartoons. They'd look too weird in CG-format like in Toy Story. And they could just animate the characters in different styles. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Leon, Cloud, Aerith, and Yuffie could be done in anime-style of course. (I always wondered why they never made an anime cartoon of FFVII.) And this way they'd be able to bring back the same voice-actors.

I just hope they don't ruin it. Most video games made into movies sucked. Take Super Mario Bros. for example. Or Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. I thought the Final Fantasy movie was bad too. It had absolutely nothing to do with the games! Not a single Chocobo or Moogle or Phoenix Down! I dunno why they even called it "Final Fantasy" anyway.

Mr. Graves
02-06-2003, 01:05 AM
I agree with you; the big screen and games don't mix.

As for the KH movie, I hope it'll at least be a little better than the game. I hear Disney is really pushing for it, but who knows...

Tuno
02-06-2003, 02:53 PM
I personally liked Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. I'd say they should go CG since that's the game's format.

IamTidus
02-06-2003, 07:23 PM
I would love to see a KH movie. I think the format should be a mixure of both cartoons and live action. Have the disney characters be cartoons and Sora Rikku and Kairi and the rest of the Square gang be live action. Except for the moogles they should be cartoons.

MateriaBladeVII
02-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Well, Haley Joel Osment doesn't really look like Sora so I don't know if that would work. David Gallagher kinda looks like a blonde Riku and Sean Astin looks nothing like Cloud. It would have to be animated. Otherwise, the characters wouldn't sound the same as in the game.

famish99
02-08-2003, 08:15 PM
CG all the way, the CG in Kingdom Hearts rocked.

MateriaBladeVII
02-08-2003, 10:06 PM
I still think it would look better animated.......:mad:

Darkside
02-08-2003, 11:53 PM
yeah squaresoft really has the CGI bit down..theyre great at it i say stick with cgi all the way, besides donald etc are made 3D in the game and look fine so whats wrong with making them cgi??

ChibiInuYasha
02-10-2003, 03:58 AM
well if they were to make the movie w/ an actual cast I think Haley Joel Osment would still make a good Sora. David Boreanaz would be perfect as Squall(Leon). The same goes for the whole Mandy Moore-Aerith thing. I guess I haven't realyy seen any of the other voice actors but IF they were to include Sephiroth I'll be D*mned if Lance Bass is gonna portray him! *shudders :eep:

MateriaBladeVII
02-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Don't worry- Lance actually does a good job with Sephiroth. Basically all he does is grunt and shout, "Sin Harvest". So he doesn't mess it up. But yea, i agree- they can get everyone else back for the voice-actors except Lance Bass. I liked Mandy Moore as Aerith- she was perfect!

ChibiInuYasha
02-11-2003, 12:00 AM
no no no, I agree, Lance did an excellent fob as Sephiroth, I'm just sayin if he were to actaully PLAY Sephiroth in an actual live action movie, I'd be angry.

BatChao
02-11-2003, 03:45 AM
Cool. Is this just a rumor or it's for real? A KH movie would be nice. A joint production between US and Japan. I can't decide if it should be animated or CGed. On one hand, CGs would look great, but I think it could interfere with the cartoon feel of the movie. Making em like Toy Story does make it feel like a cartoon, but they look too much like... toys. I guess I'd go with traditional hand-drawn art with some CG thrown in on the side like most animated features are now. It's be cool to have Disney draw the Disney side and Square draw the Square side. I dunno if any of them have animation hand-drawn animation background, but they probably do.

MateriaBladeVII
02-11-2003, 03:51 AM
Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me! Animation is so the way to go! CG could be thrown in there too somewhere. :D

Dude! Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the secret ending isn't a trailer for KH2 at all, but a preview for the KH movie?!!! That could be it!

Pyro Force
03-05-2003, 04:38 AM
"I'm just sayin if he were to actaully PLAY Sephiroth in an actual live action movie, I'd be angry."

Understatement of the year ;)

An animated KH wouldn't be a bad thing, but wouldn't it be a bit odd seeing all the 3d models turned 2d? usually goes other way around. but then again with all the new cel games coming out... Either way is fine with me, anime or CG

Moshenokoji
03-06-2003, 12:51 AM
a KH movie would be nice, animated or CG it would be nice, Square could even use the same voice actors from the game who did like Sora, Rikku, cloud ect ect for the voices. But i think James Arnold Taylor would be out since Tidus was a kid in KH. hehehhe oh well.

DJZen
03-13-2003, 09:57 AM
if they make a movie, I'm not sure how well it'll go over... the game itself was obviously aimed at a variety of ages. There's definite moments that are for the kiddies, but also ones for the teens and up (Halloween Town for example). If they did this in the movie, it'd confuse the tone, and probably the audience. They should totally do it though. However, if they do, I think you'll have nothing to fear about Sephiroth; he probably wouldn't show his face since he was only a secret in the game. However, I think that instead of simply retelling the story of the game, they oughtta mix things up a little more.... maybe feature different characters? Disney had a lot of movies, and making a feature film gives them a chance bring back some really cool stuff that never got much attention like The Black Cauldron. They'd also be able to show more of the the worlds the movies were from, so maybe this time we'd be able to see INSIDE the palace of Agrabah. I also hope they'd use more FF characters. Sure, it was awesome to see Cloud, Squall and Yuffie, but Aeris? Isn't she..... nevermind.... I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Amano characters get some attenion, so maybe we could see Locke or Cecil or someone. I know most current FF fans are of the FF7 and up variety, but come one, throw us old schoolers a bone! I want to see AT LEAST one instance of Lali-Ho! As far as animation, I'd rather not have it be animated by Disney, since I don't like their animation style (nor their design style), but CG would RAWK! Watch the ending and tell me it wouldn't!

MateriaBladeVII
03-13-2003, 09:36 PM
You mean to tell me you weren't happy to see Aeris? She rocks! Nobody dies in Disney (with the exception of Mufasa) - it wouldn't be a happy ending if somebody did. And I was quite happy they kept it to only after FFVII because I'm one of those "FFVII and up variety fans". :laughing: I do agree that they should put more Square characters in it though. How about Serge, Kid, Lynx, and Harle from Chrono Cross? They rock. It seems we'll just have to see about the animation style.

DJZen
03-14-2003, 08:26 AM
no, I wasn't happy to see her. I don't like continuity errors, is that a crime around these parts? Of course, I DO understand why they only used characters from FF 7, 8 and 10. Amano's characters have a whole different design style to them, they were a lot more medieval looking. The guy who designed 7, 8 & 10 (can't remember his name) had a more urbanized design style. I'm sure they wanted to keep the look consistent....

Or they're just shmucks and felt like plugging their new school games over their old school ones. Bastards...

Advent Child
03-21-2003, 12:29 AM
I plan on seeing this movie on opening day and every day thereafter until it is out of theatres.

Moshenokoji
03-21-2003, 12:56 AM
I'll go to the theater and see it, then buy it the day it comes out on DVD. and then watch it everyday.

Rye
04-05-2003, 03:30 PM
I really would like it CGed. Or live. 2D doesn't really work with me... I'd love to see Cerberus computer animated like in Harry Potter! I love Doby and the Basilisk in Harry Potter!

If the movie was live, it would HAVE to be played by kids. (except for the adults like Leon... etc)

AND it better have magic. I don't dare watch FF- the movie for fear that I would curse the name Final Fantasy for its lack of moogles AND chocobos. No magic is terrible!

Mo-Nercy
04-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Cloud22
Nobody dies in Disney (with the exception of Mufasa) - it wouldn't be a happy ending if somebody did.

Hello? Bambi's mother. lol.

Anyway, I like the animation idea, I'm a sucker for anime and manga. I think that they could redo Sephiroth's face, make the eyes smaller and more mature.

Originally posted by DJzen
The guy who designed 7, 8 & 10 (can't remember his name) had a more urbanized design style.

Tetsuya Nomura, I believe. Yeah, theres a big difference between Amano and Nomura designs. I can't really say who's better.

I want more Square aspects. They only got characters from 7, 8 and 10. I wanna see an oglop! Or a world that's only inhabited by guys named Cid.

IamTidus
04-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Al Bhed³
a world that's only inhabited by guys named Cid.
That would be great. Thats it I want Cid Island or Cid land. I must say that is one of the more brillant ideas I have seen in a long time!

Rye
04-06-2003, 02:14 PM
lol! With all squaresoft cids! I remember hearing cid say his world was destroyed, and he came to traverse town 9 years ago. Cid Island could be that world!

Anyway, if they have a movie, i think they should get more into how kairi's a princess. In the game it was "Kairi's a princess?" and they left it at that.

MateriaBladeVII
04-06-2003, 06:12 PM
You forget that Leon, Aerith, Yuffie, and Cloud all came from Cid's world, too. Squall, Aeris, and Yuffie escaped on Cid's gummi ship before their world was destroyed. Cloud also escaped the destruction- but he must've escaped like Sora did (sucked up through the huge portal) because he woke up in a strange world confused and lost. But I guess the Cid Island idea would be kinda cool..... there are only like 5 or 6 Cids though.

DJZen
04-07-2003, 02:16 AM
FF2 - Cid made the airship
FF3 - can't remember..... I know he's in it though
FF4 - uhhhhh.... he joins your party several times
FF5 - boy is that ever a spoiler and a half....
FF6 - he's..... damnit! That's a spoiler too!!!
FF7 - Cid Highwind, one of the main characters, also the Cid in KH
FF8 - Cid Kramer, head of Balamb Garden
FF9 - I never played this one.....
FF10 - yah, this one either.....

They totally explained Kairi's background.
She was the princess of Hollow Bastion. She escaped.... I think with her family.... 9 years ago, same time as Cid & the gang. She's still very young, and therefore doesn't have much of a life story yet. She's also very pure of heart, which goes without saying since she's a female lead character in a videogame.

MateriaBladeVII
04-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Ahem- lemme help you there:

FFIX- Regent Cid (Dagger's Uncle)
FFX- Rikku's father and Yuna's Uncle Cid

but anyways thats only 9 Cids- not enough to make "Cid Island".

Rye
04-07-2003, 10:42 PM
^.^ Regent Cid is my favorite Cid! Hmm... maybe there can be other just not FF cids and Cidina's as female cids.

@_@ Crazy!

Moshenokoji
04-08-2003, 11:23 PM
yeah we all know the Cid in Final Fantasy VI was a scientist for the Empire on Espers *does evil laugh for spoiling it* well most people have played VI. Those who haven't are well...deprived of a great game.

Super Christ
04-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
FF2 - Cid made the airship
FF3 - can't remember..... I know he's in it though
FF4 - uhhhhh.... he joins your party several times
FF5 - boy is that ever a spoiler and a half....
FF6 - he's..... damnit! That's a spoiler too!!!
FF7 - Cid Highwind, one of the main characters, also the Cid in KH
FF8 - Cid Kramer, head of Balamb Garden
FF9 - I never played this one.....
FF10 - yah, this one either.....

In FF3 Cid designed the airships as well. He was actually a pretty cool old man in it.

MateriaBladeVII
04-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Ahem- can we get back to this thread's topic? It's supposed to be about "Kingdom Hearts: The Movie" not KH2 or the history of Cid! :sweatdrop

Moshenokoji
04-11-2003, 12:00 AM
sure, wht not.

DJZen
04-11-2003, 07:06 AM
I shoulda known.... Cid is like ALWAYS involved with the airship somehow. He wasn't in FF6 though, and yes, those who haven't played it ARE deprived. But then, so are those who haven't played the original NES version of FF1.

Rye
04-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Lol! Back to the topic...

If KH: the movie, is playhed by actors, who should play squall/Leon?

Advent Child
04-11-2003, 10:40 PM
why would disney turn something that's already animated into actors?

Rye
04-11-2003, 10:45 PM
I have NO idea, but IF.

Advent Child
04-11-2003, 11:28 PM
hm. then um...
the kid who played arnold in hey arnold.

MateriaBladeVII
04-12-2003, 01:01 AM
lol- that's animated! And anyways, that would NOT make a good Squall. I say they should stick w/ David Boreanez and make him act as Squall. That's only if it's live-action, though. I still think it should be a mixture of animation: anime-style and Disney-style.

Advent Child
04-12-2003, 06:47 AM
no, hey arnold is a live show.

i'm lieing

Moshenokoji
04-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Well, it doesn't matter to me as long as they make it and it doesn't suck.

Old Chocobo
04-16-2003, 02:36 PM
I have the resident evil special edition dvd, it kicks ass!!!

Didnt really like final fantasy - the spirits within - but the animation kicked ass - they should make a sequel

Moshenokoji
04-16-2003, 10:19 PM
I wish the Spirits Within was alot more fantasy than a crazy sci fi fly by the seat of your pants thriller movie. Its a good Sci Fi movie but in terms of Final Fantasy all i have to say is it sucks. I thought it was ok but it could have been better, alot better.

Advent Child
04-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Moshenokoji
Well, it doesn't matter to me as long as they make it and it doesn't suck.
i agree to some point. but I won't be happy about it if it's actors. which i doubt will happen anyways.

Old Chocobo
04-17-2003, 12:28 AM
if you dont have normal actors you gotta have voice actors, unless you want it to be like boxes coming up like in all ff game before x

Advent Child
04-17-2003, 12:34 AM
1) I wasn't talking about voice actors
2) this is a movie. i dno't they'll add an "x" button to the theatre just so we can advance the plot.

EDIT: Also, kingdom hearts has boxes that come up, too. Voices are for special ocassions.

Old Chocobo
04-17-2003, 12:59 AM
if you havnt noticed yet, i wasnt serious. damn keyboard.

Advent Child
04-17-2003, 02:09 AM
serious is ALL you were.

Old Chocobo
04-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Its just text which makes everything appear to be in a different mood, i guess i need to use more signs.

Advent Child
04-17-2003, 11:56 PM
you need to use ZERO signs.

Moshenokoji
04-18-2003, 04:01 AM
Lets have Square and Disney handel it, they're going to do it their way, complaining at this stage of it isn't gonna do any good.

Advent Child
04-18-2003, 05:14 PM
i'm not expecting square and disney to read the thread and adjust the movie to fit my needs. I'm just stating my opinion.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-24-2003, 02:54 AM
David Boreanaz as Squall? That jsut... doesnt... fit....head...hurt *ouch*

I can't think of a body double, but for shear attitude, I'd have to go with Either Nicholas Cage, or Vin Diesel. they could both do the kick ass action stuff (more so if diesel) and have the whole "silent kick yo ass thoughtful dude" attitude in play.

MateriaBladeVII
04-24-2003, 03:19 AM
Umm, how about no. Nicholas Cage- too old. One word for Vin Deisel- bald. He's also got an annoying gritty voice. Squall has to be a pretty-boy teenager. And I agree that David Boreanaz doesn't really fit that but it's the best I got as of now.

Rye
04-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Lol! Vin Diesel in a Disney movie. If that happened, I have seen everything. ^.^

Moshenokoji
04-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Squall a pretty boy teenager? you have to be kidding. Squall is the kinda guy that isn't afriad to get his hands dirty in a battle. a pretty boy teenager isn't like that. i wanna see who Square and Disney are gonna get to play cloud, they're gonna have to make his hair pointy lol. how about we have Matt Damon be cloud and Ben Affleck be Squall LOL

Advent Child
04-25-2003, 03:45 AM
vin diesel is a HORRIBLE actor.

as much as I hate to say it, leonardo dicarprio would play a good squall.

Originally posted by Moshenokoji
i wanna see who Square and Disney are gonna get to play cloud, they're gonna have to make his hair pointy lol. how about we have Matt Damon be cloud and Ben Affleck be Squall LOL
what do you mean "are gonna get"? the movie WON'T be played by actors.

MateriaBladeVII
04-25-2003, 04:11 AM
Actually, Leonardo Dicaprio ain't such a bad idea! :laughing: As gay as it sounds, he could probably pull off the self-tortured, depressed voice and feel that Squall has. They'd have to dye his hair though.

And Squall is too a pretty-boy. :mad: I mean look at him. The big poofy thing he's got on the collar of his leather jacket plus his girlish good looks say it all. When I say "pretty-boy" I don't mean that he isn't tough. Don't get me wrong- Squall is one of my favorite FF characters. All I'm saying is that they'd need someone kinda pixyish yet tough and cool to pull off the role of Squall if they were to make the movie live-action.

Anywho, this is why I think they should just stick to animation because it's such a hard choice! :rolleyes2

zacks_clone
04-25-2003, 08:59 PM
i think they'd sorta have to make it animated.First,I feel actors would spoil the characters.They wouldnt move or give us the impression the game creators are looking for us to get,wouldnt sound right,be as tall.Though i know thats what costumes and computers are for,what about the disneys?it'd look sorta odd with actors and animation or actors in a goofy costume.Plus,the monsters and things need to be animated too.Just make um look alot cooler.

Sefie
04-25-2003, 11:56 PM
*Must..spread...the..gospel of Gackt Camui!!!*

He's the clear choice for Squally, ya hear??! :roll:

Lookit Gackt! (http://www.mahamari.com/story/gfx/la_squackt01.jpg)

Moshenokoji
04-26-2003, 12:16 AM
i offically dun care what they do. i never liked Squall.

MateriaBladeVII
04-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Hmm, definitely pixiyish enough, but not quite tough-looking. Who is it, anyway? :sweatdrop

Sefie
04-26-2003, 01:41 PM
He's a famous Japanese j-rock/pop singer. He just made a film about vampires called Moonchild - judging from what I've seen of that, he definitely has the 'edge.' I'm not sure that his english is too good, though!!

Moshenokoji
04-26-2003, 02:46 PM
ok that is one hell of a squall look alike. Square and disney will probably just make the movie an anime and send it over here with translated voices like Gundam, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin and ect ect ect.

MateriaBladeVII
04-27-2003, 02:11 AM
Yea, yea, yea- we've already established that this movie will most likely be animated in some way, Moshenokoji, but this is a "What If...?" situation. The word we need to emphasize is if! If this movie were to be made live-action.

Anyways, Gackt Camui is a very good Squall look-alike. But you do have a point about that language barrier! :laughing: Plus, he has to have that certain dark and brooding feel and a good voice to go along with it.

Come to think of it, making it live-action would make the whole movie very difficult for Japanese-English conversion and translation. It would take away from the enjoyment for most Americans. Having a Japanese live-action movie dubbed over or subtitled just wouldn't be very successful (with the mainstream, for those of you who disagree). Anime can still be made believable for everyone since it's drawn and can be edited to fit the lips and still sound realistic. Wow, I'm starting to doubt if this movie is a good idea. :eek:

Elhaym
05-03-2003, 02:03 PM
I actually disliked the game a lot... And with Disney's recent movie flops I can't hope for anything better than a very average kids film, if that. I can't believe they're going to sour FF7's characters by lending them to Disney in such a way.

MateriaBladeVII
05-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Geez, Elhaym- it seems that you've been bashing every one of the threads I've posted on. :sweatdrop

I've never felt so disagreeable. I, for one, absolutely love Kingdom Hearts- no matter how much I wanted to hate it in the beginning. I heard about it from a friend and was very skeptical about Square "lending their FF characters to Disney". I thought, "They just don't mix." But once I saw the commercial, I became intrigued by the concept. And when I bought the game and started playing, I fell in love. The idea was very different from anything I'd seen in a while and they linked the different world's themes into one storyline very well to form a very interesting plot. I love Sora, Kairi, and Riku- and I think they make a wonderful addition to the FF family and the Disney family. They didn't "sour" any of the previous FF characters and I've grown to love, all over again, the Disney characters I grew up with. Oh- and Donald totally kicked ass as a Black Mage! :giddy:

And even though the movie might be very resistant to language conversion, I think it would make a very interesting movie anyway. :laughing: I think I've proved by now that the movie has to be animated, so the debate now is: what type of animation?

StarlightAngel
07-24-2004, 04:24 AM
ANIME! Japanease anime style is the ONLY way they could pull this off! But it can't be any of that American copying the Japanease kind cuz that just sucks. :mad: It has to be real authentic Japanease animation. :)

Ravin
07-25-2004, 03:35 AM
A KH movie would most likely be animated or be CG. I, personally would like CG. The original cast from the game would be good(Halley Joel Osment, Mandy Moore etc etc.)

Del Murder
07-25-2004, 11:50 PM
Please do not to post in any more threads that are more than a few months old. Thanks.