PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see this again in a final fantasy game (and if not why not?!)

mr_rat_666
02-07-2003, 09:46 PM
One of the great debates was 'Who was the main character' and in the end alot of people ended up saying 'there is no main character'.

What FF 6 has that prehaps the other don't is a large group of playable characters with each one (mostly) getting there own time in the spot light without having to hog it away from the others. If i'm correct then at the end of the game there is a maximum of 14 characters to have (although you can only take 12 to the final battle).

My question is why doen't they repeat the 'format'. FF6 is reguarded as one the top in the series and i'm surpriesed they haven't done it since.

I guess it must take a better longer to come up with a dozen new, different characters with back stories and make them orginal...

o_O
02-07-2003, 10:37 PM
I completely agree with this. Look at FFVII, it had nine characters, whereas the likes of FFVIII had only 6, and coincidentally(?) reagarded by many as one of the lesser games in the series. The prospect of making characters such as Umaro and Gogo availabe only in the latter stages also provided an incentive to go and do everything in the game, cause there's not much more exciting than acquiring a new character! :D

Sephex
02-08-2003, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this idea...but what I think they should do is have two or three main characters that know about 3 or 4 people and you play the 3 different branches one at a time.

All three groups eventually meet and the fun keeps on going from there.

Kind of like the WHOLE game being the scenario part in FFVI.

o_O
02-08-2003, 10:01 AM
That is a tremendous idea. A huge mass of interconnecting plots that ultimately end up in the same point, which is essentially what FFVI is.

The perfect game: A prequel to FFVII, with a style sorta like Seiken Densetsu 3, where the characters you use decides the story, and the characters you select start of in different areas etc. and they meet and have a common goal, yeah yeah.. :D

Edgar
02-23-2003, 09:53 AM
o.O

A prequel to FFVII wouldn't be FFVII anymore. Aeris is gone (Good ridance if you ask me, Tifa deserved Cloud, but that's all I'm going to say here, i'm not going to start another arguement), and Sephiroth is gone too. It's just like FFVI without Kefka *shudders* but there are some potential enemies...and besides, the FFVI story isn't complete. What's going to happen to the wasted wasteland? How are they going to turn it back into the beautiful greenery that it once was. *shrugs*

Zifnab
02-23-2003, 02:22 PM
*pokes Edgar for his FFVII spoilers*
I actually hated FF6 more for what they did with the main characters. I'd much rather have 6-8 playable characters each with their own story, a couple of them intergrated to each other (for example, with Edgar and Sabin you can have the same story about ruling Figaro and whatnot.) At least it isn't as bad as Chrono Cross O_o

Gryphon
02-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Back to the "where the main character at?" subject, I think FF X emulated that, where you didn't have to use Tidus in battle all the time. But one must keep in mind that if FF VIII, for instance, did not have a main character it would not have been half the game it was. I think it is fun to have the option of using who you want in battle, but in some cases a main character is needed to center the story.

nova
02-25-2003, 05:06 AM
i think if u tryed to recreate having no main character, and having many characters with some complex backrounds and some simple backrounds, that it would destroy the whole reason why FFVI is so great. u cant remake something as great as FFVI. Plus the game being similar to FFVI would seem redundant and wouldnt nearly come close to the magnitude of FFVI.

Edgar
02-25-2003, 06:48 AM
*edits before getting poked*

DJZen
03-13-2003, 09:34 AM
well I don't know if this counts, but FF1 and FF2 had no main character, and they're being released for PSX soon...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Word (http://www.squaresoft.com/playonline/FFORIGINS/) has been out for nearly half a year, now.