PDA

View Full Version : Which do you use/like more?

Paladin
02-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Do you use/like the WSC more then the NES or are you an NES purist? I just started wondering what the big wigs use more. It's how my mind works so you can either deal with it or ban me, I dunno. lol I've been using the WSC more lately since it has my F/RM/WM/BM team on it but I haven't really played either a lot lately.

Rude
02-09-2003, 03:51 PM
This is a legitimate question and there is no reason to think anyone would ban you over it.

I originally beat the game on the NES, but I really can't go back to playing it on the NES again. The NES really has a better feel to it with music and class representations and stuff (8 bit rocks) but having to walk at a snail's pass and waiting on text messages in battle (yes, even at message speed 7) is quite too much. Item buying is even a greater pain because you can't compare what you have to what you are going to buy, a real killer for someone who doesn't have an instruction manual. And ultimately I spend at least an hour and 30 minutes of my NES game buying Heal potions which is not a very ideal way to spend your time, espicially when this task can be completed on the WSC in less than 10 seconds.

However, for anyone who wants to start a new game and has never played ff1 before I would suggest they may play either one. Because you must truly experience FF1 on the NES to really know how Final Fantasy roots were formed.

Paladin
02-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Rude
This is a legitimate question and there is no reason to think anyone would ban you over it.
I was joking. :)

Captain Maxx Power
02-09-2003, 05:10 PM
I played FF on nes emu first, but I've moved onto strickly WSC, and naturally I'll be making the jump from WSC to PSX very soon. Intersting how fads develop, ain't it?

Paladin
02-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Yep! And it only took about 16 years to move from the NES to the WSC! :D

Bahamut2000X
02-09-2003, 05:35 PM
I like the NES version a lot but playing can be annoying at how slow the game moves out compared to a WSC version where you can buy multiple potions at once and carry more equipment and not to mention run in caves/towns and also no more ineffective. But still classic is always great, but change ain't bad either.

Meuterei
02-09-2003, 07:09 PM
The WSC is okay but I still like the NES version much more. Just nostalgia, I guess.

Mr. Graves
02-09-2003, 08:59 PM
NES for nostalgia. And what Rude says about knowing the roots of Final Fantasy. But I don't think i'll play it much after getting my mitts on FForigans.

Pancaek
02-09-2003, 09:12 PM
I really like the extra features in the WSC version, but it just feels so wrong. It doesn't feel like the real FF1 the way the NES version does. I haven't played either one in a long time, but if I ever replay it it'll be on the NES.

Rude
02-09-2003, 09:28 PM
One thing that I forgot to mention is that if you do play the WSC version then you best leave autotarget turned off and autorun turned off as well so at least the battles still resembled the NES version.

Of course that is just a peeve of mine... you can play how you want :)

BobDarkavenger
02-09-2003, 11:52 PM
I play it on NES because I have this thing where I just don't feel right playing it on a computer. You gotta play it on a console dammit!

Paladin
02-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Sadly some of us can't play it on a real console but it'll still be cool to own FFOrigins and be able to play it with a controller for once.

Dr Unne
02-11-2003, 12:57 AM
The NES one will always be tops just because it came first and 99% of the goodness of the WSC version wouldn't exist if not for the NES version. It is pretty refreshing to play FF1 with good graphics though, and it's definitely nice to play with PSX-quality sound.

Nemesis the Warlock
02-12-2003, 01:15 PM
I like the NES version most. Well, I haven't seen the PSX remake yet, and I haven't beaten it on WSC. But from what I've seen of WSC, I don't like the sprites. All the characters are short and fat, and a lot harder to tell apart than the simple NES sprites. And Unne looks like a girl in WSC. I'm also under the impression that the WSC versions are too easy, but maybe that's just me. The amount of money you win of the FFI mini-game in WSC is ridiculous. Who needs to fight monsters when making money is so easy?

The main advantage of the WSC version of FFI is that they fixed the things that aren't working on NES, like the special weapons. But I need a big screen for computer games, so I'll stick with the NES version.

Rude
02-12-2003, 04:25 PM
From what I can tell the WSC version is actually harder if it is played with autotarget turned off and the easy running is disabled. You would of course have to keep yourself from playing the mini-game as well.

BobDarkavenger
02-12-2003, 08:12 PM
I despise the mini-game. I suck at those things.

DJZen
03-07-2003, 04:58 AM
Wot's easy running?

I'm really not sure which I like better.... The NES one has a lot of nostalgia (even if I've only played it on emu... But hey, there's always ebay, I've still got my NES lying around), but the WSC has graphical goodness and all them nifty little fixed bugs, weapons doing elemental damage, etc. I like certain things about the NES version though..... I like how the battle screen is set up like a bunch of windows. I'm not sure WHY I like that, but I do. The WSC has more variance in backgrounds though. Even the same land type can have a different battle screen in different locations. The only thing I seriously dislike about the NES version is trying to buy 99 heal potions. Inneffective hits don't really bother you all that much once you get used to it. I find myself frequently targetting as I did in the NES version just to economize damage anyway. I really do love the NES version, and I agree with Unne that it can't be replaced, but the WSC is pretty damn good too. I'm just glad they didn't change it from turn based to ATB...

Rude
03-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Just turn all of the settings on the WSC back to the NES defaults and you have a game that is extremely close to the way the NES game should have been.

With that said, I like the WSC version better.

BobDarkavenger
03-07-2003, 08:25 PM
I like FF2 WSC better, but i like FF1 NES more. Probably because ther is no nostalgia attached to FF2.

Rude
03-08-2003, 11:52 AM
That and playing ff2j on the nes is about as fun as ramming pencils in your ear.

DJZen
03-10-2003, 09:31 AM
*rams pencil into ear*
what? now what's everyone looking at?

Daventhalas
03-10-2003, 07:13 PM
I like the fact that you can get you're guys not to beat on dead bodies on the WSC. ^_^ The graphics are alright, 'cause I've always liked 16-bit sprites... but the NES FF1 is definitely classic. It's been with me for most of my life after all. @_@

I dunno if I like either FF2.... I'm still giving it a go on the WSC.

DocFrance
03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
ramming pencils in your ear might be more fun than playing ff2j on NES. I've committed myself to playing every FF in order on their original systems (ok, emulators...) - I beat FF1 on just last Friday (with a Kn/Ma/RW/WW Party!) and I'm making ever slow progress on ff2. So far I just finished the Ice Cave, barely.

So why haven't they made ff3j for WSC???

BobDarkavenger
03-10-2003, 10:23 PM
I just like to play on a console if I can. I'm playing FFIIIj on my playstation with an NES emulator and I'm really liking it. FFIIIj PSX is awesome. :D

Revenant
03-11-2003, 01:33 AM
wsc = gfx = eye candy = for me

Mattokenzi
04-14-2003, 10:48 AM
WSC (don't know what that stands for) is alright

pookie
05-06-2003, 11:12 PM
i gotta 15 year old NES platform. i play final fantasy every day. my NES works perfectly and i like it a lot

Faris_the_guy
05-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Me too, but i use playstation,cause its upgraded

pookie
05-07-2003, 02:45 AM
yeah, im planing on buying a playstation pretty soon just to play FFO. im getting the combo pack that comes with that little screen. i just like the old school feel that the NES has.

PS: bbhood86: WSC stands for Wonder Swan Color. its kinda like a gameboy color. Unne tells all about it on his site

Seifer
05-07-2003, 07:31 PM
The new graphics in the game are really cool, but I like the old 8-bit graphics for nostalgic reasons. The thing is, I could never stand the speed of the game when I played the NES version. That's why I like the remake better. Oh, and I can play it on the Playstation, which is really cool. Can't say I was able to do that before. The difficulty also seems to have been augmented since all of the fiends and Chaos have almost 400-800 HP more than they did. Figther was my only person left standing after I beat Marilith/Kary. That never happened when I played NES FF. ;_;

DJZen
05-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Yes indeed, they made the fiends harder. It's hard to know why. They probably just thought the game was too easy compared to more recent FF titles. It's certainly shorter. Marilith was f****** CRANKED!!! Thank god they now allow casting life in battle, or I woulda had to restart..... 25 minutes back! I really kinda feel like a lot of the things they added are cheating though..... I feel SO guilty about having different people using the Gauntlets during the same battle.....

Rude
05-09-2003, 02:42 PM
I have no clue how FF1 for the NES may have been considered easier by the developers than any of the recent ff titles. That game is twice as hard as any playstation incarnation.

Mattokenzi
05-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by pookie
PS: bbhood86: WSC stands for Wonder Swan Color. its kinda like a gameboy color. Unne tells all about it on his site thanks!

But both NES and WSC are good, NES is good but the graphics are so-so have upto 4 letters for your name and the battle scene is a bit old but WSC has good graphics and you have upto 6 letters good battle scene FF Orgins rocks:rock:

Book
05-14-2003, 06:51 PM
No offence to the nes version but the battles literary made me fall asleep and I never got longer than the third town in that version before it just got to much.