PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a host.

Doomgaze
02-10-2003, 05:36 AM
I'm looking for a webhost... mostly for a MB, but I imagine I'd do a site too. It needs to have mysql, php, etc... A decent amount of space for the DB, um.. bandwidth shouldn't be TOO much of a concern, but I'd like to have a decent cap so that I don't have to worry about it. (and I don't trust "unlimited bandwidth" =o). Um, fast server, of course, and I'd rather this be an established company, and not some shmuck's basement server that's gonna shut down in a few months... And I guess I'm looking to pay $10 or so a month, yeah.

Any good suggestions?

Burtsplurt
02-10-2003, 07:53 AM
I host a website with http://www.ipowerweb.com . They seem prety good, although I haven't had any problems with which to test their customer support.

200MB, 20GB bandwidth, MySQL, PHP etc.

Loony BoB
02-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Not bad, 'splurt. *considers finally going ahead and registering loonybob.com and goplayonthemotorway.com*

Nait
02-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
Not bad, 'splurt. *considers finally going ahead and registering loonybob.com and goplayonthemotorway.com*

Try to get a .nz-address, it goes better with the colour of your eyes.

www.i-love-stef.nz? ;) We know you want to. :p

Citizen Bleys
02-11-2003, 07:37 PM
http://www.aspwebserver.com/domainunix.asp

Pity you missed the $10 for the first year deal that Wesley and Daven got for the Gamer's Alliance

Doomgaze
02-12-2003, 05:12 AM
The 404 on the link Bleys gave me is less than reassuring.

Citizen Bleys
02-12-2003, 11:32 AM
*shrugs* It works for me.

Loony BoB
02-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Gareas
Pity you missed the $10 for the first year deal that Wesley and Daven got for the Gamer's Alliance

They got the deal? Is the board up? Nobody's been updating me on this.

Citizen Bleys
02-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Daven hasn't told me, either, and I'm on Council. Of course, he might not know my email--I don't know his--but I'm sure he knows Wesley's*, and I've been planning the upcoming RP with Wesley over email.

*I know this because I gave Wesley a list of names for the new Losstarot, and he said that Daven likes the same name from that list that I do, therefore the new villain's going to be named Pooky Losstarot.

Doomgaze
02-14-2003, 04:07 AM
Hm, now that it's UP, Bleys's looks pretty good, other than the bandwidth cap and the yearly commitment. Not that I'd likely have a problem with the cap... I'm thinking of going with it, yes.

Citizen Bleys
02-14-2003, 01:00 PM
ace times ten, yo :)

The Man
02-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Well, whatever you do, DON'T use Yahoo. They've been almost nothing but trouble from Day One, and their tech support is virtually nonexistent. Whichever host you choose, make sure it gives you Telnet access (Yahoo doesn't) and an FTP password that isn't shared with anything else (the Yahoo FTP password is the same password for EVERYTHING ELSE I HAVE ON YAHOO, and I can't give FTP rights to anyone else). If you don't have Telnet access, it's really freakin' hard to move the forum if you turn out not to like your host after all, and as it stands I can't give my FTP password out to ANYONE unless I want my email and a bunch of other crap to be read by those people (and, obviously, I don't). Yahoo's lack of tech support first caused a downtime of about two weeks (because the account got incorrectly marked, which should have taken about TWO SECONDS to fix), and now that I need to move the board and don't have telnet access, the best way to do that is apparently to have Yahoo make a backup of the database from Telnet themselves. That'll probably happen when the earth crashes into the moon.

The long and the short of it is to research a host before you commit to setting up your forum there. I'd recommend posting a thread on vBulletin.com's forums asking what to look for in a good host; I only know what constitutes a bad forum host, and I can firmly say that Yahoo is a BAD FORUM HOST.

That is all.

Firefuze
02-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Go to webhosting talk,

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

and post a request in the Web Hosting Request forum.
I'm sure you'll get many responses there.