PDA

View Full Version : Forum Leaders

Agent Proto
02-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if the Forum Leaders was set up differently? So that in the order, it should have it in this order:

Administrators
Cid's Knights
Cid's Knights/Senior Site Staffs
Site Staffs
Recognized Members

Nait
02-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Recognized Members
Administrators
Cid's Knights
Site Staffs

you must mean.

crono_logical
02-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Regular Members
Administrators
Cid's Knights
Site Staffs
Recognized Members

Just to make it nice and accessible to the modem users :D

The Man
02-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Hey, while we're at it, we might as well add banned members and banned by moderators members to that list, too. ;)

I'd actually have put the Senior Site Staffs above the Cid's Knights, but that's just me. It might be confusing, I guess.

I'm pretty sure the admins would have to redo the order of the groups to get them to display in the right order, tho', because vBulletin displays groups based solely on the order in which the groups were created, so it'd be a lot of work sorting it out because you'd have to transfer group privileges and group members and group properties and ALL that stuff. Still, it'd be nice to have that done, I think, if one of the admins gets time to do it eventually.

Loony BoB
02-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Excuse my egotistic self when I ask why Cid's Knights should be above Cid's Knights/Senior Site Staff >=o

The Man
02-12-2003, 10:30 PM
The only argument I can think of AGAINST putting Senior Site Staffs above Cid's Knights is that it might cause some n00bs to think Cid's Knights had something to do with the site rather than the forum. Even so, I'd say the Senior Site Staffs should be between Admins and Knights, because they have more power and stuff.

And I was always under the impression that BOU was slated to become a Senior Site Staff member, yet he never did. What gives?

Loony BoB
02-12-2003, 10:38 PM
He's SSS, but it's up to him if he wants the status title.

EDIT: Note the status title is the only difference between us and normal Cid's Knights.

The Man
02-12-2003, 10:40 PM
Ah. And I take it he doesn't want the title then. Silly people like him and Unne not wanting recognition. *goes away grumbling*

Yeah, I know the title's really the only TECHNICAL difference, but still. Roogle and BOU, at the very least, have FTP access, so that elevates them in one sense above the other Knights, although that has nothing to do with the forum itself. Do you have FTP access yet?

Loony BoB
02-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Nah, I'm not very good with HTML, so I see no reason to request it. Although I am considering learning it, and if I do, then we'll see.

Yamaneko
02-12-2003, 10:51 PM
What's wrong with it now?

The Man
02-12-2003, 10:54 PM
The Senior Site Staff members are all at the bottom of the list, cut off from all the other Knights. It looks... wrong.

Roogle
02-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Yes, I think someone should rearrange that, kind of like this:

Administrators
Cid's Knights, Senior Site Staffs
Cid's Knights
Site Staff
Recognized Members

Who will do it, though...?

The Man
02-12-2003, 11:54 PM
I would....

...but I can't. :(

In all seriousness, my guess is that Bleys'll probably be the one who ends up doing it. And yes, I agree with the order Roogle posted.

Del Murder
02-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Add Enforcers to that list and then we'll talk.

Scottie
02-13-2003, 01:35 AM
I see no reason to change it.

Site and forum were always thought of as separate.

Shoyku
02-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Scottie
Site and forum were always thought of as separate.
Are we not the same? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

... But in all seriousness, I couldn't care less at what order the titles are.

Roogle
02-13-2003, 02:02 AM
I guess it really doesn't matter one way or the other, but you have to admit, it does look a little sloppy--the usergroups are all in the order they were created.

The Man
02-13-2003, 02:35 AM
Laziness ahoy. ;)

Big Ogre Umaro
02-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Good call. :aimsun:

Shlup
02-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Do people really look at the Forum Leaders page often enough for it to matter?

No, seriously, I'm curious.

Spuuky
02-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Sometimes. And yes, it irritates me when I do.

Burtsplurt
02-13-2003, 09:49 AM
It took me about a year to find the Forum Leaders page. I don't think anyone really looks at it, and anyway it's, uhm, "traditional" this way?

crono_logical
02-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Scottie
Site and forum were always thought of as separate. Doesn't seem to be what the Site Staff forum seems to indicate :p

I think Site, forums, and chat are all loosely linked together, even if it is loosely :p

Loony BoB
02-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
Do people really look at the Forum Leaders page often enough for it to matter?

No, seriously, I'm curious.
All the time. I'd say at least once a week, maybe three times a day on occasion.

The Man
02-13-2003, 04:41 PM
What Spuuky, Guu and BooB said.

Of course, since it seems to be such a big deal to move some users and groups around, you could VERY TEMPORARILY make me an admin and I'd fix it without causing you admin folk a bit of trouble. :aimangel:

Scottie
02-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Well that's not gonna happen.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The more we tinker with things that mean next to nothing, the more problems that can arise from it.

Why the heck do you look at that link 3 times a day, Daniel?

Edit: It's also called "Forum leaders" and Site staff doesn't lead the forum, it leads the front site. So it should almost even be removed.

The Man
02-13-2003, 04:58 PM
In all honesty, I don't see what the big deal is. I did this exact thing on Fool's Gold and it caused LITERALLY NO PROBLEMS. There's no hack involved; it's just a bit of moving members and group privileges. It should take, at tops, maybe fifteen minutes to fix. And I'm always of the view that even if something works, if it could be made better it's worth taking the effort to make it better.

Scottie
02-13-2003, 05:36 PM
You're right. I don't see what the big deal is. *leaves alone*

The Man
02-13-2003, 05:46 PM
I just LOVE it when my words are taken out of context. *shakes head sadly*

Aaaaaanyway, Senior Site Staff and Site Staff, as I understand it, exist for much the same purpose that Recognized Members do: to recognize extra effort that goes into maintaining EoFF. Recognized Members don't lead the forum, either, yet they're still on the Forum Leaders page. It's pretty much just named that because that's the way it is by default on vBulletin. So I don't think removing those groups from the page is the way to go. But eh, whatever.

Then again, on the other hand, as I understand it, both Loony BooB and Roogle never change their custom ranks anyway, so you could probably just make them back into Cid's Knights and hand-code the "Senior Site Staff" into their customs. If you want to do that, I'd like THAT more than what we have, too. It's just really bothersome to me for the Cid's Knights to be THAT broken up.

Loony BoB
02-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Broken up? Dude, we're much more broken up than that.

The Man
02-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear that. :cry: What went wrong? :(

Loony BoB
02-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, see, all the regular members take me too seriously. :cry: And that makes us all break up. :(

The Man
02-13-2003, 06:11 PM
I know that feeling from modding on WA. :( My condolences. :cry:

Loony BoB
02-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Even Unne and BOU broke up (lie) and Shlup left me for ROOGLE (not sure if that's a lie). Then Guu just... quite literally broke up. That part was kind of disgusting, though.

EDIT: :( :cry:

The Man
02-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Ultra gutted. Does that explain why Mäjken and Unne resigned, too? Looks like I've been better off not being a staff member all this time.

Edit:<center>:(
:cry::cry:
:(:(:(
:cry::cry::cry::cry:
:(:(:(:(:(
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:(:(:(:(:(:(
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:(:(:(:(
:cry::cry::cry:
:(:(
:cry:</center>

Loony BoB
02-13-2003, 06:21 PM
:( ------------EVEN THESE SMILIES JUST BROKE UP-------------- :cry:

The Man
02-13-2003, 06:22 PM
<center>:(
:(:(
:(:(:(
:(:(:(:(
:(:(:(:(:(
:(:(:(:(:(:(

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:cry::cry::cry::cry:
:cry::cry::cry:
:cry::cry:
:cry:</center>

Shlup
02-13-2003, 07:09 PM
He's just making crap up, Aaron. No one's "breaking up", except maybe Kishi and BOU; I hear Kishi's been seeking comfort from BOU's abuse in the arms of one of the Recognised Members. *gasp*

Seriously though, if Scottie or Bleys or BOU have a few extra minutes on day, I think it would be beneficial to just move things around. I took a look at it, but I don't feel confident in changing anything at this point, even though I think I could do most of it.

"If it ain't broke," then people wouldn't be suggesting that it be changed. It does look a little sloppy, so fix it why don't you?

Just for the record, the order I think they should go in:

Administrator
Cid's Knight
Senior Site Staff / Cid's Knight
Senior Site Staff
Site Staff
Recognised Member
(And I guess Moderator the the bottom, since it's there with no people listed)

The Man
02-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
He's just making crap up, Aaron. No one's "breaking up", except maybe Kishi and BOU; I hear Kishi's been seeking comfort from BOU's abuse in the arms of one of the Recognised Members. *gasp*I know. ;)

Just for the record, the order I think they should go in:

Administrator
Cid's Knight
Senior Site Staff / Cid's Knight
Senior Site Staff
Recognised Member
(And I guess Moderator the the bottom, since it's there with no people listed) Just gonna point out that the Moderator forum group doesn't actually list its members, and it's not really related to the other forum groups for some funky reason. If you want you can just edit it out of the template. I'd recommend that.

And I think you meant that Site Staff should go after the Senior Site Staff/Cid's Knights. :p

Anyhoot, good luck, whoever tries changing it. It shouldn't really be that difficult, but I definitely understand why someone who'd never adminned here before would be leary of changing it.

Edit: Thought this might be helpful, too.

EDIT: While it's not regarding any personal issues or anything, it's still a private conversation. Please don't share my private conversations without asking me, m'kay? (It was just me asking him how to do it so I could look at it, for the rest of you. Nothing controversial, but it's the principal of the thing!) ~Shlup

The important part of all that: "Honestly, the best thing to do probably is make a temporary usergroup first of all, and use that for... uh... I guess the Recognized Members. Move them all to that group once you've got it set up to be EXACTLY like the Recognized Members group is in the first place."

Counter-edit: Sorry; I shoulda asked first.~Aaron

Del Murder
02-13-2003, 11:20 PM
I say we just close the message board forever and be done with it.

Yamaneko
02-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Question: Does it really annoy you guys that much to see the Forum Leaders page the way it is now?

The Man
02-13-2003, 11:35 PM
Answer: Yes.

Big Ogre Umaro
02-14-2003, 01:14 AM
That's good enough reason for me to leave it. :aimsun:

The Man
02-14-2003, 01:48 AM
You're goin' to hell. :aimmad:

Shlup
02-14-2003, 02:27 AM
That was uncalled for, Aaron.

Everyone already knows BOU's going to Hell.

The Man
02-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Then I apologise for stating the obvious. :aimblush:

Oh, and when this is all over I want to be put into my own forum group, entitled "Boom Snaff" with a rank of colour #38E897. I doubt it's gonna happen, but it'd be cool if it did.

Big Ogre Umaro
02-14-2003, 02:43 AM
That's just silly.

The Man
02-14-2003, 02:44 AM
'Course it is. Hadn't you noticed I'm a silly person?

Bulldog
02-14-2003, 03:16 AM
I have, and I'm The Man™s best friend.

The Man
02-14-2003, 03:24 AM
*pats Bulldog's ears*

Speaking of which, Bulldog, turn on private messaging or something, dang it.

Roogle
02-14-2003, 04:53 AM
Just fix the order or something before I get mad.

The Man
02-14-2003, 05:40 PM
It was actually pretty close to being fixed last night, but then some bean moved all the RMs back to their old group. The only thing that was wrong before the RMs were moved back is that the Senior Site Staff still weren't in the proper place, and the RMs didn't have their titles. *sigh* What gives?

At any rate, I honestly think it'd make a heck of a lot more sense if the group titles hack inserted the default group title (which, I believe, is empty for everyone at the moment, and could easily be changed to say "Cid's Knight" or whatever without any harm being done), rather than some nearly inaccessible entry in the MySQL data. It'd be much easier to change groups' identifiers that way, should such a thing be necessary. Or else (better yet, I say) you could insert a profile field that was only editable by admins and manually set it to whatever for each of the Knights, Admins, RMs, etc. That way if someone didn't want the RM or Knight title or something, they could go without it even if they were a Knight. And it wouldn't be a hack, either.

Ahh well. [/rambling that'll only make sense to people who have administrated a vBulletin board before]

The Man
02-14-2003, 06:33 PM
I'd guess that's 'cause you've adminned a vB board before. :p

Big Ogre Umaro
02-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Haha, you double posted.

The Man
02-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Nice job deletin' yer own post there, Umy.

Dr Unne
02-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Better yet, someone completely rewrite the MB code from scratch so that it's absolutely 100% perfect and everything is perfectly un-annoying to everyone. How hard can it be to please everybody all the time?

Citizen Bleys
02-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Marry me, Unnsie.

Scottie
02-15-2003, 12:47 AM
Then have an affair with me.

Citizen Bleys
02-15-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm already having an affair with you.