PDA

View Full Version : Closed Beta Testing to Begin

Jecht Shot
02-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Final Fantasy XI enters into online testing in North America.

Square has informed GameSpot that the company is going to start a closed beta for the North American version of Final Fantasy XI, a massively multiplayer online RPG loosely based on the Final Fantasy franchise. The company will use the beta to test different types of Internet connections as well as compatibility. Unfortunately, Square has not released any additional information on the North American version of the PlayStation 2 hard drive nor has it revealed an official release date.

source: Gamespot (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2910961,00.html)

Not sure how they plan to accomplish this, with the HDD nowhere near being ready. Maybe they mean the PC version?

Alpha
02-15-2003, 04:13 PM
At least that's a sign that it's comming here.

Bahamut2000X
02-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Why would they do beta testing for a game that is fully working? It's got all the bug worked out, only reason to beta would to maybe check if the U.S. servers are working fully, even then it's just a 3 minute test that could be run easily.

Besides according to my PSM, FFXI will be out March sometime.

T0KE
02-16-2003, 02:17 AM
I heard the U.S. servers were located in Japan. Is this true?

Atari81
02-17-2003, 07:14 AM
I can't get onto gamespot to see the article, they require a paid membership. If anyone can let me (us) know where I can sign up that would be greatly appreciated :D

(for the PC version, that is)

Jecht Shot
02-17-2003, 01:24 PM
That's not a pay-for-article. ;)

Here's the URL:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2910961,00.html

I don't pay for Gamespot, and I can access the article. At any rate, I posted it in its entirity above.

Atari81
02-17-2003, 06:51 PM
sorry must have clicked the wrong link :|

KingAlces
02-21-2003, 02:03 AM
Squaresoft randomly picked my email out of the hat and sent me a message saying I was eligible to participate in this whole beta-testing deal. Here's the problems...

1) You have to have a Playstation 2 with a network adaptor.

I don't own my own PS2, so there goes that idea.

2) You have to know some amount of Japanese.

HA! So much for that. I'm as Western as they come.

I'm not sure if they're still picking candidates, but the way you can get somewhat of a shot at it is by registering at Playonline.com.

plane
02-22-2003, 01:37 AM
The phase1 closed beta testing will happen but actually, according from the email content, it mentioned to test the connection to the JP from US only.

I don't think they have any US servers through at the moment or any English client of PC/PS2 FFXI.

KireiBlood
02-26-2003, 07:52 AM
does anybody have any information as to when the BETA TESTING will begin?

or any information regaurding being a part of that? i havent payed attention ot this game for a while now so tell me whats up.....

McNall
04-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Go to square-enix.com and enter, everyone is eligible for the beta test. They send you the HDD and want it back, or you just run to off to Mexico same thing. You have to have a Network adapter, I think they judge you by your Bday because they ask you for it, have the same one as them and your in!

Jalbrean
04-22-2003, 01:40 AM
Well they never stated that they would send anyone a HDD. Just that whatever they sent you they wanted back. ;p

I have doubts about them sending HDD's to beta testers. Then again unless they found a way to run the game without the HDD I guess they wouldn't have much choice.

Who knows. I hope I get picked. I've been itching to play XI for a long time now.

KingAlces
04-22-2003, 03:13 AM
they could possibly save all the information regarding your character on the internet itself, which would make having your own HDD less necessary.

although that could bog down the servers quite a bit.

and they are doing Windows beta testing too, so no additional hardware will be needed at all for that.

Rostum
04-22-2003, 03:38 AM
all i need is a 21" monitor, an adaprt to plug my ps2 controler into the pc and a extension chord for the keyboard.... and im set...

Grand Lethal
05-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Well, anyone with doubts I got in and they ARE sending the HD out, but it is already set up for you so you aren't getting a disk or anythng that you can copy (pretty smart if you ask me)

They are also sending a free public HDD to all the PS2 Beta Testers as thanks. Testing is starting in June sometime... kit should arrive in the mail within the next week *joy*