PDA

View Full Version : PS1 Games not working in PS2 system! @_@

Rye
02-16-2003, 01:36 AM
PS1 Games not working in PS2 system! @_@

I purchased FF9 and it had trouble working with my PS2 system, than i got a new game than it worked with occasional problems, but overall good.

Now i just got FF8, and it does not work at all. I exchanged my FF8 TWICE (!) and it still doesn't work. And NO IT IS NOT A USED GAME ;) . I checked troubleshooting and I asked the guy at the store i bought the games from, and he said some PS2's does that because the do not have a PS1 MODULE in them.

Did this ever happen to you? What do i do? I desperatly need to play FF8.

o_O
02-16-2003, 03:42 AM
Make sure texture smoothing on your PS2 is turned off. Because PS1 reads FMV data in realtime, meaning it reads the info as it's playing, and PS2 loads the data into the buffer before playing, this causes an incompatibility. The reason for this is because physically, discs in a PS2 spin way faster than when in a PS1, so it is the data that cannot keep up with the disc revs in the PS2. I hope that helps, if it doesn't, then I have no idea what's wrong, you may have a faulty PS2, but I doubt it, based on what the shop guy said. Good luck ^^

m4tt
02-16-2003, 04:12 AM
This would be better off in the help forum. Someone who goes there will probably know what's wrong, if o.O's suggestion doesn't work. *boots*

crono_logical
02-16-2003, 08:12 AM
I've not had problems with ff7/8 in a ps2 myself - maybe try sticking in a PS1 memory card? :D

Shlup
02-16-2003, 08:29 AM
This is why I don't pay money for things.

Rye
02-16-2003, 01:56 PM
I have a PS1 memory card.

Make sure texture smoothing on your PS2 is turned off.

How do you turn it off? Is it an option in the PS2 main menu? I don't think I have a faulty PS2 because all my PS2 games work, AND i have one PS1 game, Animorphs, that does work, always.

Doomgaze
02-16-2003, 03:50 PM
What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? Do you get a Disc Read Error, or does it crash, or what? How new is the PS2? Is it a first-generation one?

Rye
02-16-2003, 05:08 PM
What happens, is the disc ins't read AND the system makes funny noises, like the disc is having trouble turning.

My Playstation 2 System was bought last year in July. I figure the Playstation 2's were first made about 2 years ago, so I think they could've fixed the problems.

Doomgaze
02-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Hm... but does it say "Disc Read Error" when you try to load the game through the browser?

Sound... like a clicking sound?

Rye
02-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Yeah a clicking sound, but loud. I think that I should get it repaired, but my parents won't let me :mad: .

A guy at a store told me alot of people come in a complain about the same problem.

Doomgaze
02-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Hm, mine does that sometimes too, and refuses to play PSX games... I'm not entirely sure why, but the PS2 is a piece of crap, reallly. The lens might be out of alignment or something, I really don't know.

If it's still under warranty, Sony will probablly laugh in your face if you ask them to fix it, so.. hm.

Rye
02-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Really? I wish mine was still under warrenty, but my parents still wouldn't let me. :(

Thanks. I don't really don't know what to do but I suspect I was sold used games so i will try to play a FF8 game from Toys R us, or best buy, but even though this is completely off topic its gonna be a BIG snowstrom and im gonna have trouble getting out of the house.

muchacho
03-04-2003, 09:54 PM
that happends to me when i try to play gta vice city and ONLY vice city. i was wondering the same thing. does one of your friends have ff8, if so try play his in your system and then see what happends

Rye
03-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Yeah I might try that. A friend of mine does have it so i'll ask. thanks ^.^

Blue Headed Man
03-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Whats your model number? (eg scph-1002) because I know that some PS2s may have malfunctions. But your warranty is voided probably.....:(....if it won't work at all I suggest paying the cost to fix it....

Moomba Misstress
03-08-2003, 10:14 AM
MY PS2 is also like this, it does the same things you are discribing but mine is picky and only does it with select few games. I opted to just get my good old PSone out and continue to play PSone games on a PSone. I didn't want to hurt my PS2 or games.....maybe if you can, you'll want to do that? :fd:

(I bought my PS2 a long time AFTER they were released, so I don't think this has to do with any bugs that accour in systems during the first few weeks-months of release.)

Moshenokoji
03-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Maybe you can ask Sony about it just tell them your model number and i am sure they will tell you if that one had any compatibily issues with something i got a SCPH 30001 R and everything works fine never had a problem with it.