PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just hate searching for members?

Agent Proto
03-07-2003, 02:37 PM
I'd like to be able to easily locate a member in the Memberlist than to search for the member. I think it'll be cool if we enable a Member Locater. ;D I have the 'hack' on me at the moment. So, if any of you Admins think this is a good idea, contact me. :D

edczxcvbnm
03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
why for you need that?

Agent Proto
03-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Just for conveniance I say.

edczxcvbnm
03-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Okay then :)

Raistlin
03-07-2003, 05:42 PM
That sounds like a really cool idea to me.

Burtsplurt
03-07-2003, 07:05 PM
No idea what it is, but "Member Locater" sounds funky.

Dr Unne
03-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Mayhaps explain more of what a Member Locater is?

eestlinc
03-07-2003, 07:34 PM
if you know their member name, i don't see how finding them on the memberlist is that hard. in the days before alphabetical indexing, maybe...

m4tt
03-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Yeah, just click the first letter of their name, then scroll down to it..

Or select Advanced Search and type in their member name, or just part of it. :p

Agent Proto
03-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Basically, this is what it adds. *attaches images*

Pancaek
03-07-2003, 09:44 PM
That looks like nearly the same thing as Advanced Search. Do we really need something else just like it?

Agent Proto
03-08-2003, 12:10 AM
But it's right there on the memberlist front page. Some people would find it more conveniant than to search for the member through 5,000+ members or using the Advanced Search

crono_logical
03-08-2003, 01:22 AM
What, and you can't do that in the control panel, Proto? :p It's right there on the first page :D

Agent Proto
03-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Oh, sure. Mock my stupidity. *sigh* It's only convenience for some people. Everyone hates my suggestions. *sigh*

Del Murder
03-08-2003, 02:04 AM
I don't remember anyone saying that, or mocking you. They probably just think it's not worth hacking the board over. Just wait and see what BOU has to say before you start feeling sorry for yourself.

Spuuky
03-08-2003, 02:09 AM
I highly suggest you feel sorry for yourself, because everyone said "that," and mocked you.

Del Murder
03-08-2003, 02:16 AM
I also suggest you do not listen to that ^. But I think that goes without saying. That's so much of a rule around here that it should be the FAQ.

Dr Unne
03-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Actually searching for a member by their username does get on my nerves, especially since there are so many people per letter that it turns into 7 or 8 pages, and you have to manually click each page to find it. If it displayed all the usernames starting with a certain letter on one page, it'd be much better. Or that thing Proto posted would be good too.

Shlup
03-08-2003, 04:34 AM
I would like that. A lot.

Agent Proto
03-08-2003, 04:41 AM
This is the txt with the 'hack' It should easily tell you what you should do, if you so plan to use this. :)

Spuuky
03-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Del Murder
That's so much of a rule around here that it should be the FAQ. I concur.

eestlinc
03-08-2003, 06:20 AM
It is a cool hack. I just like rustling Proto's feathers.

Shlup
03-08-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm willing to add this in if more staff members approve.

Burtsplurt
03-08-2003, 09:32 AM
I very rarely search for members, but it seems good to me. I used to scroll through members alphabetically before I discovered Advanced Search, although I'm not sure how many people are as dumb as me.

Citizen Bleys
03-09-2003, 03:12 PM
I like it.

Yamaneko
03-10-2003, 12:53 AM
*thumbs up approval*:D

m4tt
03-10-2003, 06:20 PM
I still don't really see a point to it.

Memberlist -> Advanced Search -> Member Name Contains: then you type in the name right there.

I guess it would be a fine for people who didn't feel like clicking the moust three times. :p

The Man
03-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by crono_logical
What, and you can't do that in the control panel, Proto? :p The point is that *I* can't, and that should be all that matters. There are two simple and elegant solutions to this problem: Make me a Knight, or install the hack. I support option one, but option two will suffice as well.

Shoyku
03-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by The Man
... elegant solutions to this problem: Make me a Knight ...

Originally posted by Yams Man
*thumbs up approval*:D

Yamaneko
03-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Sure, why not?

Citizen Bleys
03-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by The Man
The point is that *I* can't, and that should be all that matters.

When you put it that way...

*withdraws support for the hack* **

**No, Shlup, not seriously

Shlup
03-12-2003, 03:13 AM
*takes it seriously anyway*

Oh well, guess I don't get another chance to scew over the enitre board.

Phil
03-16-2003, 02:50 AM
i think having a member search is a great idea. make things easyer it defenately will

Loony BoB
03-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Ah, gotta love those hacks that we really don't need. By the way, can we have it so that all the male members show up with one colour, and the females have the other? >=]

Yamaneko
03-22-2003, 09:51 PM
How about the members that like to confuse people about their gender with weird upside down question marks?:D

Loony BoB
03-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Nonono, it gets turned into an option in the profile settings. I'm sure there are a bunch of other hacks I could think up, just gimme a bit of time >=]

*annoys some people by bringing it up*

Shlup
03-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, I tried this and it made the whole members page come up as a white page of death, by the way.

eestlinc
03-23-2003, 06:08 AM
This sounds like a huge improvement.

The Man
03-31-2003, 09:50 PM
Haha it turns out you don't need to hack anything for this. Just go into the template and add this:

<!-- quick search and memberlist title -->

<form action="memberlist.php" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="s" value="$session[sessionhash]">
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="getall">

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" bgcolor="#000000" width="100%" align="center"><tr><td>
<table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="100%">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#012033" colspan="6">

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%"><tr id="cat">
<td><largefont>$[/i]bbtitle Members List</largefont></td><td align="right">

<smallfont><b>Quick Username Search:</b>
<input type="text" class="bginput" size="35" name="ausername" value="" style="font-size: 11px;">
<input type="submit" class="bginput" name="submit" value="Go!" accesskey="s" style="font-size: 11px;"></font></td>

</form>

</tr></table></td>

<!--/quick search and memberlist title-->in place of the memberlist title table data cell.

That'll give you something along the lines of:

<form action="memberlist.php" method="post"><input type="hidden" name="s" value="$session[sessionhash]"><input type="hidden" name="action" value="getall"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" bgcolor="#000000" width="100%" align="center"><tr><td><table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="100%"><tr><td bgcolor="#012033" colspan="6"><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%"><tr id="cat"><td><largefont>$bbtitle Members List</largefont></td><td align="right"><smallfont>Quick Username Search: <input type="text" class="bginput" size="35" name="ausername" value="" style="font-size: 10px;"> <input type="submit" class="bginput" name="submit" value="Go!" accesskey="s" style="font-size: 10px;"></font></td></form></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
Good times. :aimsun:

Yamaneko
03-31-2003, 10:36 PM
G'job there Aaron. Doing it without hacking is the best thing.

Moomba Misstress
04-01-2003, 01:17 AM
I don't think you guys need to do it at all. Not only can you search alphabetically, but you can also click ppls names at the main index if they are online, you can click to view someones if they just posted as the last person in a thread, and you can also just click to view with the profile button at the bottom of each persons post. Isn't that enough ways? :fd:

Originally Posted by The Man
...A quick username search would require fewer pages than going to the advanced search and searching, manually trying to find the user, or manually trying to find one of the user's posts. Practically each page we load gives us a pop-up ad these days. Pop-up ads are a PAIN IN THE ASS...

Vaild points. *agrees* It could be helpful if you aren't wanting to look at someone's immediate profile. Such as if you just wanted to see something about a person who just posted vs. looking for someone you don't know or aren't sure of thier name etc. I see now :) :fd:

The Man
04-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Let's look at it this way: A quick username search would require fewer pages than going to the advanced search and searching, manually trying to find the user, or manually trying to find one of the user's posts. Practically each page we load gives us a pop-up ad these days. Pop-up ads are a PAIN IN THE ASS, not only because we have to close them but because they cause Internet Explorer to experience about a ten-second delay each time it executes the script to load a pop-up window. Thus, making a SMALL template modification to allow users to find members right on the memberlist would save a very large number of people a very sizable amount of grief. I support it.

Shlup
04-02-2003, 07:44 AM
You would have to tell me exactly where to put that before I can do it.

The Man
04-14-2003, 12:41 AM
&lt;!-- quick search and memberlist title -->

&lt;form action="memberlist.php" method="post">
&lt;input type="hidden" name="s" value="$session[sessionhash]">
&lt;input type="hidden" name="action" value="getall">

&lt;table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" bgcolor="#000000" width="100%" align="center">&lt;tr>&lt;td>
&lt;table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="100%">
&lt;tr>
&lt;td bgcolor="#012033" colspan="6">

&lt;table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">&lt;tr id="cat">
&lt;td>&lt;largefont>$[/i]bbtitle Members List&lt;/largefont>&lt;/td>&lt;td align="right">

&lt;smallfont>&lt;b>Quick Username Search:&lt;/b>
&lt;input type="text" class="bginput" size="35" name="ausername" value="" style="font-size: 11px;">
&lt;input type="submit" class="bginput" name="submit" value="Go!" accesskey="s" style="font-size: 11px;">&lt;/font>&lt;/td>&lt;/tr>&lt;/table>&lt;/td>&lt;/tr>&lt;/table>&lt;/td>&lt;/tr>&lt;/table>&lt;/td>

&lt;/form>

&lt;!--/quick search and memberlist title-->in place of

&lt;table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="{contenttablewidth}" {tableinvisibleextra} align="center">
&lt;tr>
&lt;td width="100%">&lt;img src="{imagesfolder}/vb_bullet.gif" alt="" border="0" align="absmiddle">
&lt;normalfont>&lt;b>&lt;a href="index.php?s=$session[sessionhash]">$bbtitle&lt;/a> &amp;gt;
Members List&lt;/b>&lt;/normalfont>&lt;/td>
&lt;/tr>
&lt;/table>I think that'll do it. (Use the code from the second example, not the first one).

Loony BoB
04-14-2003, 10:21 AM
;_; nobody got my point.

What happened to the 'no hacks coz once we let Manny have one he'll come up with another' rule?

Agent Proto
04-14-2003, 01:03 PM
I dare you find the Profile for Spacemonkey79 without going through more than 3 pages in the Memberlist WITHOUT using Advance Search.

Loony BoB
04-14-2003, 02:31 PM
1) I found it in two pages. Mandy (Moonlady) watched me, so don't doubt it!

2) "WITHOUT using Advanced Search" - So what's your point? If we don't use a function designed to make searching easier, it's harder? Oh My God, You're Right.

3) If you're going to be super picky about it, you could always just have it that 'Memberlist' links default to the Advanced Search page. Then you'd not only have the function you intend on hacking into the board, but also a whole bunch more - all in one simple click. Although I guess that would just be too logical >=P

4) There's still a 'No Hacks' rule, so NER.

Agent Proto
04-14-2003, 03:57 PM
If we have a no hack rule in place, why do we have the Arcade? That's a hack. This is just one of those useful hacks that's not pointless like the Pink/Blue Gender Name.

Big Ogre Umaro
04-14-2003, 10:19 PM
I like a good hack now and then, but I think Daniel's right on this one. Hmmm but I'll wait before I make a real decision.

The Man
04-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Somehow, you're all missing the point that this ISN'T A HACK. It's a template modification. A hack involves changing the .php code. This doesn't.

But whatever. Feel free not to install it if you don't feel like it.

Del Murder
04-15-2003, 11:28 PM
We don't need your sinking hacks.

Yamaneko
04-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Sinking? Somehow that makes sense.

Shlup
04-26-2003, 03:26 AM
Done and done. Though not quite like Aaron said; I didn't replace any HTML, just stuck it between some stuff and edited it a little for looks.

Dr Unne
04-26-2003, 04:42 AM
Maybe it'd look better if it didn't split the two rows of text-links. Maybe if it was the top row or something. But as long as it works, I can't complain.

*searches for some members just because he can*

m4tt
04-26-2003, 05:33 AM
Advanced search...

eestlinc
04-26-2003, 10:21 AM
thanks to quick search i now know that only two members have a name with "eest" in it: me and the ever-popular "treestump".

Shlup
04-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Maybe it'd look better if it didn't split the two rows of text-links. Maybe if it was the top row or something. But as long as it works, I can't complain.

*searches for some members just because he can* I tried to put it in several places, but things kept screwing stuff up. I can try again sometime, but for now an hour of moving it around and trying to edit the code with my limited knowledge of what I was actually doing is enough.