PDA

View Full Version : Spiffy and Worthless Abilities

Strider
03-08-2003, 02:58 AM
Alright, I'm probably guessing this has been done before, but I'll take my chances, anyway. . .

We're gonna exclude Gogo and Umaro on this one, so from the twelve main characters in the game, which one has the most worthless special ability? Likewise, which special ability do you find yourself using most often?

Personally, the worst of the worst has to be Relm's Sketch ability. That's partly because I never use Relm (save for the Tower) and partly because of her freakin' PROGRAMMING ERRORS.

On the other hand, I find myself using Sabin's Blitz in almost every situation. What can I say? Sabin is spiffy.

So, what does all y'all think?

Bahamut2000X
03-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Sketch- I never use this.
Control-I use this when I'm bored
Transform-Use it only when I'm bored and think it'll be neat.
Tools-I use about every 3 seconds
Blitz- I use them rarely
Steal-I almost never use it
Capture- I use it a good bit
Dance- I use it a fair amount
Rage- What else would I do?
Throw- I use it only if I got something ectra to throw and nothing better to do with it
Lore- Only if I can use a lore and have it be useful
Runic- I never use this
Sword Tech- I use it every now and then
Slots- I use it a decent amount

Yup I think that's about it.

Heath
03-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Sketch- I've used it what twice?
Control- Used once.
Transform(Morph?)- When Terra is the only one left I'll have her use it to revive others. That is not very often though.

Tools- I use all the time. Gogo and Edgar.

Blitz- Only when I need to use Sabin. His attack is much more useful to me. I prefer to just have him attack. That way, I can't mess up the combinations.

Steal- Only when something good is on offer.

Capture- Never.

Dance- All the time. Usually wind song. Mog in squad.

Rage- Hardly ever in WoR. I used it a bit in WoB.

Throw- No Shadow ;_;

Lore- I gave Gogo this for a brief period.

Runic- Only when i use Celes. And that in itself is not very often.

Sword Tech- Not since WoB. I used to have Cyan in my squad.

Slots- I used it for 7 Flush a few times against Ultros.

Mimic- I use it if I want Gogo to use a dance or physically attack, so a few times.

crono_logical
03-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Tools and Blitz are my most used (probably equally), followed by SwdTech, although SwdTech takes too long to execute for the more powerful attacks. Steal is ok early in the game. The rest I rarely touch.

El Cid
03-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Gotta say, Sketch does take the cake for most worthless ability. Wow, an attack that'll crash the console and erase my saved games? Sign me up! I never used Lore or Rage much either, but that's mainly because I didn't like the characters enough to go search out the good skills.

Runic I usually can't use because Celes always has Genji Glove on and one of the weapons often isn't a sword.

I've never been entirely sure what it does, but I always use Morph on boss battles just 'cause it looks cool, and because Terra's my favorite character.

Come to think of it, the only ones I frequently use in normal fighting are Tools, Blitz and Swordtech.

Mageta
03-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I use "Steal," "Capture," and "Blitz" the most. I think that "Morph" is also really good against tough bosses.
But, yeah, "Sketch" is definitely one of the most worthless abilities. I disagree about "Control," though. You can Control a lot of enemies and use them to attack Strago to gain new Lores.

Strider
03-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Well, I'll just say how much I use everything like everyone else has. . .

Terra - Morph - Usually only in boss battles, and if I know the boss has a weakness I can exploit.

Locke - Steal - I use it to get Tonics from those zany Leafers at the beginning of the game! :D

- Capture - Well, I use that far more often than Steal. I mean, if you can kill someone and steal something from them, why wouldn't you?

Edgar - Tools - All the freakin' time. That, or magic. I never fight with Edgar.

Sabin - Blitz - Again, all the freakin' time. Blitzes are very easy to command if you use the ten-key pad on a keyboard. ;)

Celes - Runic - Almost never, unless I know that no one else in my party will being using magic, allowing her to absorb whatever the enemy does. Even then, I'll forget that I cast it and cast some magic anyway, rendering a turn worthles. . . :eep:

Shadow - Throw - I rarely use Shadow in the WoB, but I find that I use him a lot in the WoR, and that's he's particularly valuable in the end stages of the game. I'm always sure to stock up on goodies for him to chuck.

Cyan - SwordTech - I usually never use anything high than QuadraSlam, although if I'm desperate in the WoR, I'll build up and use Cleave. I actually killed myself with that once, because he got Muddled right before he attacked. . . but, I'm more likely to give him Offering and a Genji Glove to wreak havoc that way.

Gau - Rage - Someone I almost never use, but when I do use him, he is very valuable. I'm partial to Templar and Pearl Dragon.

Setzer - Slot - I'd say I use this about 80% of the time, if I don't have Fixed Dice. I killed myself with this, too, by getting three Bars and calling a random Esper, which turned out to be Crusader. . .:eep:

- Coin Toss - I really only use this during the last battle, when I know I have to deal as much death to everyone as I can every turn.

Mog - Dance - I like using Wind Song, if only because of his Sun Bath move.

Strago - Lore - Pssh. I use, like . . . Aqua Rake, Pearl Wind and Grand Train. That's about it.

Relm - Sketch - I never use Sketch. Sketch is the devil.

- Control - I actually like using this. It comes in handy when you want to gain experience, just Control 'em and then hammer away with magic. Love that.

Alright, there we go . . .

m4tt
03-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Morph - All the time
Steal - Not too often
Capture - All the time, why fight when you can steal and attack at the same time?
Tools - All the time
Blitz - All the time
Throw - Pretty often
Runic - Not all that often..
Rage - A lot
Slot - Pretty often
Coin Toss - Not until near the end..
SwordTech - It takes too long to load, and I hardly use Cyan anyways.
Lore - Almost never
Sketch - Just once, in the battle with Ultros in the esper place
Control - Only on the Veldt, if I'm trying to get Strago to learn some lores.. which isn't very often. :p
Dance - often.

eestlinc
03-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Control completely owns. Best skill in the game.

Blitz and SwdTech both suck. One is stupid button pressing and the other is slow and boring.

Tools is pretty pointless after a certain point since Edgar can probably do plenty of damage with his weapons anyway.

Dance is pretty crappy. yep. geomancer=sux, even in moogle form.

MagicKnight Locke
03-10-2003, 12:59 PM
sketch and umm sketch.Really useless it is

The Man
03-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Runic and Steal are probably the abilities I use most frequently, and I have to say that I thought Slot and SwordTech were pretty much worthless (SwordTech takes too smegging long to execute to be worthwhile). I actually *like* some of the glitches you can get by using Sketch, and it's a good way to have Strago learn a lot of his Lores, too. *shrug* Control's still better, tho', although it doesn't work against certain monsters that Sketch *does* work against.

Edgar
03-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Morph--- Used it just to hit 9999.
Steal----- Useful at mid and early games when you are running outta cash
Capture- More useful than steal.
Tools----- Got some nifty items like Debilitator, Chain Saw, Drill and Flash. The rest is terrible late game except for maybe Air Anchor.
Blitz------ The healing ones are worthless. Once Bum Rush and Air Blade somes in, the rest is worthless, so i wouldn't say that Sabin's the most nifty.
Runic----- Saved my life countless times. The best ability at mid-game.
Rage----- Nifty but once you got the best of the best, the rest are for fun.
Slot------ I'm a very lucky person so NO.
Coin Toss-- A lot at end game when i got countless GP.
SwordTec-- Some are nifty like Cleanch but it is worthless because of the duration
Lore------ Only used GrandTrain but other then that, no.
Throw---- UBER! I love this ability; it gets rid of unwanted items that can deal good damage.
Dance---- unreliable but still, it's good! Sun Bath is da best!
Sketch--- For the glitch
Control-- Very useful on the Veltz, where i train Strago. I made the monster use its special on him! :D

Advent Child
03-12-2003, 07:20 AM
I NEVER use runic or sketch.

Autocrossbow is my regular attack with edgar. It's memory cursored in.

Denmark
03-13-2003, 09:15 PM
I use Steal, Throw, and Tools all the time. I never use Sketch or Runic, and I don't know what Morph does.

Giggles
03-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Well....steal is probably the MOST useless (for me anyway) and I rarely used Capture....But I ALWAYS used the dice! Love them so much!:p oooh and Sketch; yes that one's pretty worthless. erg...so is runic.

*hails Bruckner*
*smiles at Fabio*:love:

Lassic
04-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Mog's Dance sucks... Sketch is not good also, but control is useful against some enemies...

And Steal/Capture is the best skill in the game, since you can steal very powerful items like the Ragnarok sword (Steal it from goddess)...

Sephex
04-24-2003, 09:18 AM
What I use the most-

Blitz
Tools
Sword Tech
Throw

What I use the least-

Runic
Rage
Sketch
Control

Everything else is in the middle.

BluEagle
04-25-2003, 04:09 AM
Morph doubles terra's str... meaning 2x damage.. making her, with that, the best fighting char in the game hands down. While her spellcasting abilities are good, I think with the illumina sword (screw the ragnarok esper, he has no goodies upon levelup, an ok esper ability, which is irrelevant, and teaches ONE spell which you get if you take the time to get a paladin shield anyway, so sword > esper) and maybe a nifty hyperwrist she can tear up just about anything. BTW the pearl attack that comes occasionally with the sword will kill just about anything in one hit.

BluEagle
04-25-2003, 04:13 AM
Holy shit! The Man used the word 'smeg'... gimboid! I don't know what the smeg you are, but you're a total utter total complete utter one at that!

EveningCross
04-27-2003, 08:30 PM
I've always liked Rage, Blitz, SwordTech to some extent besides the long, mind-numbing wait and Tools although after a while I put Atma Weapon AND Ragnorok on Edgar at the same time and never needed another tool again. It was saddening...