PDA

View Full Version : Referances to other FF's

antman
03-08-2003, 02:01 PM
How many did you notice? A few I saw were:

(SPOILER)Garnet's real name, Sarah and her Mother's name, Jane, are also the names of the Princess and Queen in FF1.

In the weapon store in Lindblum, there are a few swords on the wall. One of them is the arabic version of a Grand Sword. If you check that with Zidane, he says: "I remember a guy with spikey, blonde hair that used to carry something like that"

And, perhaps the obvious one, Vivi is of course dressed like the traditional black mage all the way through, and when you first meet Garnet on the stairs, she is dressed in the traditional white mage outfit.

Bahamut2000X
03-08-2003, 02:31 PM
There was also the Invinciable, which was a airship in FFIII and also FFIX. Also they had Freya as a classic dragoon, haven't had one since FFV. (a dragoon with jump I mean) I dunno what else they had, I know they had references to other things besides FF though, but meh I'm too tired to post them all now.

Heath
03-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
There was also the Invinciable, which was a airship in FFIII and also FFIX. Also they had Freya as a classic dragoon, haven't had one since FFV. (a dragoon with jump I mean) I dunno what else they had, I know they had references to other things besides FF though, but meh I'm too tired to post them all now.

Cid in FF7 had Hyper Jump and another Jump attack limit break and uses Lances. Shouldn't that mean Cid one too?

eestlinc
03-08-2003, 10:20 PM
just a few...

The acting/play theme resonates with ff6's opera theme and that play in ff7 whose name I can't remember.

The race asleep on another planet with a steward left to watch over them alludes to ff4.

The two worlds also reminds me of ff5.

Some cameos like Gilgamesh, Boco card, Airship card.

Garnet is a similar character to Lenna in ff5.

Bahamut2000X
03-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Cid in FF7 had Hyper Jump and another Jump attack limit break and uses Lances. Shouldn't that mean Cid one too?

I should of clarified. I meant the actual jump command which wasn't in any FF between V and IX (ya you could say VI but I don't count it cause you have to equip a relic to get it and it's not a extra skill but instead replaces fight)

So yup, there clarified.

Spatvark
03-09-2003, 12:02 AM
The guardians of the four shrines are blatantly the four fiends in FF4

The four bosses you fight in Memoria are the four fiends in FF1

Garland. That just screams FF1 to me. He even says he'd once tried to take the planet by force.

In fact, FF9 pretty much links FF1 and 9 together completely for me. I often refer to FF9 as FF1-2 *nods*

*has NEVER referred to FF9 as FF1-2*

Kawaii Ryûkishi
03-09-2003, 12:58 AM
Items

I doubt it's a coincidence that Zidane's "thief swords" are so similar in design to Serge's swallow weapons from Chrono Cross.
As always, almost all of the equipment here is returning from past games. Unexpectedly, though, quite a bit of it comes from FFTactics.
The descriptions of the Strange, Unusual, and Beautiful Potions are credited to Matoya, the blind old witch in FFI.
The Rat's Tail was featured in both FFI and FFIV as a key item.
Freya's finest lance is called Kain's Lance, from Cain of FFIV.
Upon acquiring Excalibur II, you'll find a note from a "brother" of Gilgamesh who slyly writes to him that he tossed aside the weapon, deeming it worthless in favor of a surely incredibly powerful sword, EXCALIPUR! Excalipur, of course, is one of Gilgamesh's running jokes--a sword supposedly possessing the power of Excalibur that does incredibly weak damage when actually used in battle.
Story

Cid is Cid IX here, appropriately enough, and his surname, "Fabool," comes from the nation of Fabul in FFIV.
Hilda was the Queen of Phin, a monarchy rebelling against Paramekia, in FFII.
"Rally-ho" has always been to dwarves what "kupo" is to môguri (moogles), though it's also been translated as (FFIII and FFIV) "lali-ho," (FFV) "tally-ho," and (FFI) "hurray!"
The story Ramu uses to psychoanalyze Dagger at the Pinnacle Rocks is prettymuch an exact retelling of the sub-plot of Josef, from FFII.
Pandemonium served as the Paramekian Emperor's citadel in FFII.
Music

During an early Active Time Event, the Tantalus band gives a reprise performance of "Rufus's Welcoming Ceremony" from FFVII.
Kuja's theme and the songs related to it seem to borrow something from FFVII's "Shin-Ra, Incorporated." But, again unexpectedly, it actually mostly parallels "Intension of the Earth" from FFV.
The Mognet Central music is a remix of the môguri theme from FFV, which was first remixed in FFVI as Mog's theme. (The chocobo theme gets its share of remixes, of course, but that happens every game.)
Une (Unne) and Doga (Dorga) were key characters in FFIII, and with Une's Mirror and Doga's Artifact, you can listen to a song from FFIII in the Black Mage Village. I believe it's "The Everlasting World" or "Eternal Legend of the Wind," since those are trademark songs of FFIII. Or maybe "Let Me Know the Truth," which is Unne and Doga's theme. I don't know, it's been a while.
Monstars

The Phantom Beast Madeen appeared here for the first time since FFVI.
Nova Dragon, the guardian of Memoria, is an eccentric translation of Shinryû, famous badass dragon from FFV.
Atomos, also made his first appearance since FFV here, though here a Phantom Beast rather than a boss.
Gameplay

The style of giving each character exclusive battle options hadn't been seen since FFVI.
Steiner sword magic is the trademark of the Mystic Swordsman class, which hadn't been seen since FFV.
Freya's Reis's Wind ability recalls Reis the Dragonnaire of FFTactics.
The traditional tactic for acquiring blue spells is having the enemy cast the spell on a Blue Mage, but Quina's tactic of beating enemies down to a fraction of their maximum health (before eating them) is the same as the tactic Trainers use for taming monsters in FFV.
In addition to Tetra Master cards featuring FFV's Boco (the star chocobo) and airship, there is also a card featuring Namingway, the turban-wearing chap from the moon who could change character names in FFIV. If you show the Namingway card to a certain guy in Daguerro, he'll get inspired and do the same job.

Originally posted by eestlinc
The acting/play theme resonates with ff6's opera theme and that play in ff7 whose name I can't remember. Loveless.

Spatvark
03-09-2003, 03:03 AM
...and that's why this guy is an FF God *nods*

Grand Lethal
03-09-2003, 05:24 AM
The Magic Finger you get at the auction house in Treno later in the game belonged to a man named Gogo who used to create dolls that came to life. gogo was a hidden character in FF6 that could Mimic attacks.

ever notice how "Cid" always has some sort of technical background... usually revolving around airships?

Steiner gets a sword skill called Climhazzard which is a limit break for Cloud in FF7.

Fat Chocobo in Chocobo Paradice is found in FF4(? the one with Cecil... can never remember), where he stores extra items for you.

Both Steiners Ragnorak and Excaliber swords have appeared in previous FF Games.

The name Garland appeared in FF1, I believe fairly early in the game near the elf village (might be wrong, been like 9 years since I played it).

Thats all I can think of right now

antman
03-09-2003, 01:39 PM
There's a rumour that Eiko is the name of Sakaguchi's daughter or wife and Aki is the name of Sakaguchi's mother as in the credits for ff:tsw there are 2 ppl, eiko and aki sakaguchi

The beginning of the battle theme of FF9 is actually identical to the beginning found in FF4-6. Uematsu dropped this beginning for all FFs afterwards bar 9.

The music in Gulgu volcano in FF9 is another reference to FF1 as FF1 had the same dungeon with the same music.

Lord Avon and the play is a reference to Shakespeare and Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon and the play uses old elizabethan language and the two lovers that should never be together and the tragic ending.

Beatrix is actually a character very similar to that of Leo in Final Fantasy 6. Both characters were good hearted generals that worked for the wrong side. Both characters were very powerful and have Shock as an ability. Both characters realise the wrongs of their ways and eventually side with the heroes.

Items won at the Auction house are also references to early FF's. Une's Mirror (Une is a character from FF3), Rat's tail (as said earlier by someone, a key item needed to upgrade classes in FF1), Matoya's Potion (Matoya is a character from FF1).

Taking certain key items to the Black mage's village will allow you to unlock a music track that was first heard in Final Fantasy 3.

Bahamut2000X
03-09-2003, 02:22 PM
The name Garland appeared in FF1, I believe fairly early in the game near the elf village

Actually he appeared in the very first dungeon, being the very first boss that dies in a matter of seconds.

The music in Gulgu volcano in FF9 is another reference to FF1 as FF1 had the same dungeon with the same music.

Actually the music for Gurgu Volcano in FFIX was remixed, but essentially the same song.

Ummm ya that's all. *runs away*

Kawaii Ryûkishi
03-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Grand Lethal
Fat Chocobo in Chocobo Paradice is found in FF4(? the one with Cecil... can never remember), where he stores extra items for you.Fat Chocobo had the item-storing gig in FFIII and FFIV. During the Chocobo and Choco/Mog summons--in FFV and FFVII, respectively--there is a one-in-eight chance of the usual attack being replaced by Fat Chocobo falling on the enemy.
Originally posted by antman
There's a rumour that Eiko is the name of Sakaguchi's daughter or wife and Aki is the name of Sakaguchi's mother as in the credits for ff:tsw there are 2 ppl, eiko and aki sakaguchiCould be, but Eiko is a fairly common girl's name in Japan.
Items won at the Auction house are also references to early FF's. Une's Mirror (Une is a character from FF3), Rat's tail (as said earlier by someone, a key item needed to upgrade classes in FF1), Matoya's Potion (Matoya is a character from FF1).There's no such item as Matoya's Potion. You're thinking of the Beautiful, Strange, and Unusual Potions, which bear references to Matoya and are found in Lindblum during a certain event, not in Treno's auction house.

Big D
03-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Yup, FFIX features a veritable litany of tributes, references and in-jokes. Unfortunately, from this stems one of my only complaints about the game: virutally nothing in it is original. People, places, faces, plot... seen it all before. Drawing a certain amount of inspiration from the past is great, it adds a distinct and memorable style that sets the FFs apart. However, IX can feel somehow... cheapened by the sheer amount of recycled material. Almost as though Square sought to save time and money by reusing what they already had, as much as possible.

Whoops, hope that didn't sound like a rant, because...
I LOVE FFIX!

PS I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned one prominent reference in FFIX:
"No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!"
A clever meteorological pun in 'I want to be your Canary'.

Amongst many others.

eestlinc
03-15-2003, 06:13 AM
edit

my post has been made irrelevant now. In its place I would like to sing a song for you:

I've got two legs from my hips to the ground
and when I move them I walk around
and when I lift them I climb the stairs
and when I shave them they ain't got hairs

Big D
03-15-2003, 06:25 AM
Oops....

*Edits earlier posts to cover foolish oversight*

*Realises that eestlinc's last post will now make little sense to those who read it*

Edit: Nice song, eestlinc! :D

muchacho
04-10-2003, 12:11 AM
PS I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned one prominent reference in FFIX:"No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!"A clever meteorological pun in 'I want to be your Canary'.

i noticed that too Big D.... considering i just beat the game about 10 mins ago.

also ff6 and ff9 both had opras and auction houses, the cristal (duh), the music, and many others

Davis
04-10-2003, 09:11 PM
what about Kamari in FFX, his first overdrive is Jump

muchacho
04-10-2003, 09:13 PM
that doesnt count cause ff X was after 9

Strider
04-11-2003, 01:51 AM
Final Fantasy's generally make many references. Whether it be other FF's, history, or mythology, all FF's have something in them. Especially in the names of things like towns or summons.

therealquigmaster
04-24-2003, 10:36 PM
i only noticed but at the video before you choose new or load game where there is a map of places it says there is a place called Tifa

chadmonkey
04-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by therealquigmaster
i only noticed but at the video before you choose new or load game where there is a map of places it says there is a place called Tifa

The place is Ilfa, regarding the Ilfa tree. The map has the name written in a fancy script(italic) font.

Davis
04-25-2003, 12:51 AM
I have a question about "Ilfa". Is it pronounced "eye fa" or "If a"??

Big D
04-25-2003, 12:59 AM
I've always pronounced it "eye - eefa", but that's just my preference.

Sorceress Fujin
07-05-2003, 09:40 PM
In Lindblum's Dragoos' weapon shop, Zidane examines the swords on the wall (which look like Cloud's Buster Sword) and says, "I knew a spiky-haired guy who carried this." (or something like that...)

chocoboy
07-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Davis
I have a question about "Ilfa". Is it pronounced "eye fa" or "If a"??

I always thought it was Lifa.
I feel dumb now.

*sings a song*
"I think I'm dumb, maybe just happy..."

Radje
07-09-2003, 02:54 PM
I feel quite shocked! Now it kinda proves my dreams sometimes see the future heh. I had a dream about someone making a reply on how to pronounce Iifa. How weird. Anyway...You've said them all i think. Hmmm

Vermachtnis
07-10-2003, 06:40 AM
This may be an indirect reference (Mabey even false, because I was too pronancing it Lye-Fa). But, the Lifa tree made me think of Arise (FF4) the second level of Life Magic. You know Fire->Fira. Why not Life->Lifa(Arise). There's even Life 2 in FF6.

And of course the reused fiends of element also reminded me of FF4 Lich(MilonZ), Marilith(Rubicant), Taimat(Valvalis), and Kraken(Kainazzo). The reason I didn't think of FF1 at the time is that I didn't know they where in there at the time I played FF9.

Big D
07-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Sorry folks, this thread has been dead for nearly three months. Besides, facts are just being repeated now, which is a pretty bad sign.

Revival = bad.

*Closes*