PDA

View Full Version : Aeris or Aerith?

Moomba Misstress
03-15-2003, 10:02 AM
I have noticed that people seem to have a preference to which name they say. Which is closer to the Japanese version of her name? Which is actually in the game? Why did you chose the way you want to call her. Plz I dying to know......not really but it's interesting :fd:

Big D
03-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Aeris. No particular reason for this, it's just what she was called in the version of FFVII I first played. Sounds nice, kind of like "Iris" or "heiress".
It's not that I have a problem with 'Aerith', either. I understand it means 'Elise' in Japanese... though I could be wrong.

Psychotic
03-15-2003, 11:17 AM
It's Aeris... I say kill anyone who calls her Aerith, because it's WRONG! why is it "WRONG"? Well, MY version says so, THAT'S why.

Whoa, caps lockfest '03

Rude
03-15-2003, 12:48 PM
It's Aeris to me until someone shows me the Japanese version 100% fully and accurately translated with her name as Aerith.

Zifnab
03-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Aeris for me too, Aerith just makes a raspier and less 'nicer' noise.

JonJonB
03-15-2003, 02:28 PM
It's Aeris to me until someone shows me the Japanese version 100% fully and accurately translated with her name as Aerith.The review copy of FFVII (sent out to magazines and such) had her as "Aerith". Square-Japan's own site had english name translations, and "Aerith" was the one used. Kingdom Hearts has "Aerith". "Aeris" was a translation cock-up on Sony's part, everyone needs to deal with it and move on.

Rude
03-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Works for me.

How many other instances in all of the FF's had names that became bastardized in the translation process?

Zifnab
03-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Rude: I think if you as much as glance at FF6, you'll find out that most of the characters got weird translation names, such as Mash <-> Sabin and Terra <-> Tina to name but two.

Nephiliam
03-15-2003, 03:18 PM
I choose Aeris also, because.. basicly the same reason as Jenova·Rebirth. But where did 'Aerith' come from? Is it just a bad translation?

Zifnab
03-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Star
I choose Aeris also, because.. basicly the same reason as Jenova·Rebirth. But where did 'Aerith' come from? Is it just a bad translation?
That's the impression I was under, but according to the other posts here, it seems Aeris is the bad translation.

Nephiliam
03-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jenova·Rebirth
That's the impression I was under, but according to the other posts here, it seems Aeris is the bad translation.

*might be off topic* I heard somewhere that Square changed it to Aeris because it was hard for us english speaking people to say Aerith, or something like that! Either way, I do like both ways of spelling and pronunciation.

Zifnab
03-15-2003, 03:30 PM
*might be off topic* I heard somewhere that Square changed it to Aeris because it was hard for us english speaking people to say Aerith, or something like that! Either way, I do like both ways of spelling and pronunciation.
That could be the case, as there's alot of sounds and characters that do/don't exist in both of our languages. I don't think this is off topic simply because it's keeping with the reasoning behind the Aeris/Aerith debate. :)

Aviva
03-15-2003, 03:36 PM
I prefer Aeris, too. I don't know why, it just looks and sounds prettier than Aerith.

Rude
03-15-2003, 07:15 PM
With the American translations, it seems to me that Aeris, Terra, Sabin just come out of our mouths better than Aerith, Tina, and MASH!.

(wtf kind of name is mash)

crono_logical
03-15-2003, 07:20 PM
As long as it's not Aries, I don't care :p

Enigma
03-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Aerith looks better and Aeris sounds better to me so I can't vote either.

Moomba Misstress
03-15-2003, 09:53 PM
I just wanted to double post my own thread to point out that the Japanese language has no TH sound....I wonder how they did it. I can see it as A RI SU which would be Aeris, but Aerith well you get A RI but theres no TH noise.....what goes there? Where th would be there is TA CHI TSU TE TO, so maybe A RI TSU? Naa, that's still Aeris, hey I know, maybe her name is really Alice??? It sounds like that with those Japanese examples up there :laugh: :laugh: oh boy..... :fd: *runs*

eestlinc
03-15-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm guessing the incredibly vast majority of people here played a version where the name was Aeris. I don't see any point in calling her anything other than what the game calls her. The ff7 translation is bad, but not because of Aeris/Aerith.

Nephiliam
03-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
As long as it's not Aries, I don't care :p

OOC: Erm.. @_@ God of war.. nope, doesnt fit Aeris' personality.

Well, I think that "Aeris" is the best looking one.. But "Aerith" isn't a whole lot diff from it.

CloudDragon
03-16-2003, 10:11 PM
I always called her Aeris and all. It wouldn't really matter to me either way though.

Raistlin
03-17-2003, 12:05 AM
I always type "Aerith." However, I sometimes find myself saying her name, "Aeris." Meh; I prefer Aerith. Looks better.

Aerith was the original name for her. Meh to all you "Aeris" lovers. :P

BatChao
03-17-2003, 02:40 AM
I actually prefer Aerith because it looks cooler, but I'll always say Aeris because that's how I played the game. I would say that the English name is Aeris and just stick with it but suddenly in KH they call her Aerith! So now I'm all confuzzled.

thelynchpin
03-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Hmm... I don't really care to be honest. I call her Aeris sometimes, Aerith other times. I probably call her Aeris more because the first time I ran through the game that's what I called her. I agree with Raistlin when he says that Aerith looks cooler though.

Burtsplurt
03-17-2003, 07:39 PM
I like the way Aerith looks, but I really don't like the way it sounds. Aeris is easier on the tongue.

I honestly don't mind the translators taking liberties witht he original Japanese. Terra and Aeris are better than Tina and Aerith respectively.

Scandalous
03-17-2003, 09:37 PM
I prefer Aerith. I didn't like Aeris' name the first time I saw it, and when I saw on this website that her Japanese name was "Aerith" I got hooked on saying it (I guess you can say I cheered, having an alternative to Aeris after all).

Pyro Force
03-19-2003, 02:56 AM
maybe im just a shit head but i thought it was an odd way of saying Iris. doesn't ae=i?

Big D
03-19-2003, 07:04 AM
You're right, Pyro Force, but 'ae' can also be pronounced as 'ay' or 'ee'.
So she might be 'Ayris', 'Eeris', 'Iris'; or 'Ayrith', 'Eerith', or 'Irith'. Then there are at least two possible pronunciations for '-th', which just adds to the possibilities...

Raistlin
03-20-2003, 01:12 AM
I always pronounced it "Air-reath."

If you used to "s" ending, then "Air-eas." I pronouce it the same way "Aries" is pronouced.

Beaver39
03-20-2003, 05:57 PM
i think Aeris-Aerith sounds stupid :-P

Casey
03-21-2003, 04:12 AM
Aeris, I perffer it that way because it was like that when I first played the game.:)

DelightfulSpekkio442
03-25-2003, 03:19 PM
I prefer Aeris and pronounce it "Ay-er-iss." It kinda sounds cool with that extra half-syllable. Plus, consider this entry in Notre Dame's online Latin-English dictionary:

"aer, aeris: air, atmosphere, ether, weather"

In FFVII, there seems to be a connection between the Planet and the wind (i.e. Breath of the Earth, Healing Wind). There's also other passing references if I remember correctly. So it makes sense that Aeris' name should be based on the Latin word for "atmosphere."

~MJE~

Burtsplurt
03-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Hmm... I just pronounced it "Air-is". Heh, hopelessly wrong.

Rinoa Heartilly
04-02-2003, 07:16 PM
the kana of her name in japanese were closer to aeris than to aerith, but when writing in romanji (western letters) they wrote aerith...
aerith is the name of a flower in 'irish' i believe
but either way, you could say both are correct ^^
yet i voted Aeris, just because that when i first saw her name i read it as 'aeris' that's all ^^

Eyece
04-26-2003, 03:56 AM
It is Aeris to me.

I pronounce it Air-eez

Then bare-it
and yuff-ee
And se-fer-roth.

IamTidus
04-26-2003, 06:28 AM
When I am playing the game I say Aeris, But when I talk about it I say Aerith. I have only played through it once so I vote Aerith.

Big D
04-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Burtsplurt
Hmm... I just pronounced it "Air-is". Heh, hopelessly wrong. No more right right or wrong than anyone else's pronunciation:)

o_O
04-26-2003, 10:58 AM

That's right. It's quite awkward to try and say Aerith's, in comparison to Aeris'.

Originally posted by BurtSplurt
Hmm... I just pronounced it "Air-is". Heh, hopelessly wrong.

I agree with Big D. That's how I pronounce it! :p

Blackmage
04-28-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Raistlin
I always pronounced it "Air-reath."

If you used to "s" ending, then "Air-eas." I pronouce it the same way "Aries" is pronouced.

Same here; it sounds prettier. I prefer the spelling of Aeris.