PDA

View Full Version : final fantasy viii and it's predecessors

UltimaSepheroth
03-17-2003, 12:50 AM
is final fantasy viii realy as good or better better than it's predecessors?

the graphics are undoubtedly better but what about the gameplay, storyline, music, and most important, characters?

*who out there agrees with me that the characters are tremendously lacking!*

i thnk that final fantasy viii could have been alot better than what we see now!

*bah!*

MagicKnight Locke
03-17-2003, 06:35 AM
*thinks this sis the third thread now*

Whatever-Squall from ff8

In fact i think ff8 was maniacally better than his predeccessors.The only one i can see will pose a threat to ff8's first place in my game list would be ff9(need to finish it though).
I think posting my game list would just about do it

1.ff8
ff9?
2.ff6
3.ff5
4.ff3!
4.ff4
4.ff7
4.ff1
8.ff2

In any matters it is still better than that horrible horrible ff2 and ff7.Both was a good rpg wannabe but failed miserably for me.FF7 was a good game just a month and a half go but in my second replay i actually realised how boring and pointless it was...

One word:ff8 is an excelent piece of gaming but it is not for everyone just like ff7 is not for me.

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Well, I think its the best game I've ever played.

Graphics were obviously better than it's predeccessors but then again, all FF's have the best graphics of it's time.

Gameplay, battle and junction systems may get a little repetative, but that's the case in most RPG's if you play for ages and ages.

Storyline was excellent, I can't help but feel that we could've known Ultimecia a little better. Supporting the R=U theory would clarify that.

Music is probably the best of the series so far, all tracks are nice to listen to especially Lunatic Pandora, Eyes on Me and the Boss Music.

Characters were prefect to me, except for Ultimecia. All others seem to be pretty straight-forward. I personally found Squall really realistic which made the game better.

PhoenixAsh
03-18-2003, 08:21 PM
I've said it before, but I think without the (annoyingly banned) R=U element, the plot has no real depth. I like the characters, I like the battle system I like the graphics, but the plot just can't hold it against FF7. Therefore it's my second favourate FF.

ShivaBlizzard8
03-19-2003, 04:45 AM
I'm a big FF8 fan, but I must admit, what I loved most about the game were asthetics: the graphics, the music :love:, the character/location designs, the juntion system, etc. Plus, after the dark atmosphere of FF6 and the very depressing FF7, I really apprechiated the brighter, colorful, more positive attitude of FF8. However, storyline-wise, I don't think it was as evolved as some of the older FFs.
That said, however, FF8 tried to do something different with its plot; rather than focus on the story, it tried to focus on its characters. For example, very little time is spent in FF8 putting together a plot bent on action or intent; you can play the whole game and not really get WHY anything happened. What the hell was Ulty up to? Why control Galbadia? Why why why why? It all just leads to more questions. INSTEAD, we learn about these characters: their personal struggles and relationships. The game developed a large cast, and the story relied heavily on even minor characters, making them interesting and engaging. Most of the story twists involved the roles of these characters and their relationships relative to each other.
I think this is why reactions to the game vary; plot-wise, its an unsatisfying game, but players tend to develop an affinity for the characters they get to know so well. It's fustrating for many to see so much time devoted to Squall's growing up story than to the larger picture, when it seems that maybe they should have done both. However, FF8 was certainly an experiment in all respects, and change is good. I like it just as it is.

Kimera 726
03-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Comparing FFVIII to the Final Fantasies before, I would feel that a majority of areas are a lot better and unmatched compared to the previous Final Fantasies. The FMVs showed characters almost Human-like and that was a revolution of its own. I admit the digital makeup of the characters were a little pixelated and IMO Square wasn't ready to move to life-like digital characters yet, the revolution was extraordinary and that deserves praise for its time.

In music, I feel that Final Fantasy VIII music has the best collection in a Final Fantasy series and even in Final Fantasy X, it is still unmatched. What I enjoy about the music is that it all fits with the scenario whether it's fighting or wandering. The sorceress-fighting music is a favorite of mine, and Libarati Fatali, in the eyes of a first timer, is much more fantastic than any others.

One of the little bits that I did not like is the storyline. I do not especially hate it, I just wish it could be reworded and clarified better. Many times I had to go into the menu and look up certain terms in the information section such as Lunar Cry and Lunatic Pandora. I think this could have been explained a little clearer.

when I play FFVIII, I imagine an anime, as if FFVIII was created to be an anime, with plenty of bosses per episode and events. I take note that the male lead is extremely attractive (amongst the girl friends I have) and the females in garden wore a lot of skirts and it's something I find repetitious in many animes, so I kinda get the feeling of an anime-like theme to it all. It's a game of its own and was the basis of many future games to come as well. FF8 is no doubt better than the previous ones (I have yet to play FFVII though) in my opinion. But my feelings for FFIX? That's a story for a different time.

Mr. Bojangles
03-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Hey everyone guess what?

Final Fantasy VIII is the best, most beatiful game there has ever been and it is the best game that can possibly be fathomed even given an eternity of people trying to think of a better game!

FF8 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is so wonderful!!! You should base your life off of this!!!!!!! Do the things the characters do and you will acheive excellence!!!

and also FF9 sucks...ha! wtf is up with zidane? stupid weakling look-like-a-woman cat?

FF5 and 6 are cool, too

if yoo dont agree then yoo are dum...

CloudSquallandZidane
03-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles
It is so wonderful!!! You should base your life off of this!!!!!!! Do the things the characters do and you will acheive excellence!!!

heheheheheee agreed...

Psychotic
03-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles
Hey everyone guess what?

Final Fantasy VIII is the best, most beatiful game there has ever been and it is the best game that can possibly be fathomed even given an eternity of people trying to think of a better game!

FF8 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and also FF9 sucks...ha! wtf is up with zidane? stupid weakling look-like-a-woman cat?

FF5 and 6 are cool, too

LMAO! sheer comic genius!

TCH! Spoilers abound!

Anyways, I think FF8 is the worst Final Fantasy. Pure and simple. I dislike descriptions of this game such as this board's description which goes a little something like this "The most captivating and emotional FF expierience yet"
I'm sorry, but that is just... wrong. For example, the "big evil" in this game is Ultimecia. Do they give us any reason to feel hatred towards her? She wants to compress time! oh the naughty woman! Squall and Rinoa are all :love: but do I really care? No! Am I made to care? No!

The Music? Well, I'm not going to deny that it is good. "Unrest" (The music that comes on when Seifer is around in the early parts of the game, like when he is told he won't be a SeeD) is a superb sng, and one of the best out of the entire Final Fantasy series.

The story? Yeah, that was *soooooooo* great. Not. I felt as if the makers had loads of little ideas, and decided to through them all in. Which ideas? I hear you cry. Well, The whole idea of Garden, the whole idea of Esthar, the whole evil sorceress from the future thing and the whole base in space thing, to name but 4. Whereas in Final Fantasy VII, the majority of the plot was all circulating around a common point.

The characters? I think Square worked so hard to try to give them personalities, that they just made them all moronic posers who just made me think "Pass me the sick bucket" OK, I accept this game has a Fantasy setting, but there are humans in this setting. Humans have personalities. I have never met people with personailities like the ones in 8 - nobody is that extrovert (or inrovert in Squall's case)

Junction system? Well, that was just a whole stupid idea. It basically made combat in Final Fantasy VIII extremely tedious. In order to become powerful, you have to spend ages drawing magic from your lovely enemies. You just sit there pressing the same commands over, and over. Now, this also causes another problem - you now don't want to use magic because you
A) Don't want to become weaker
and B) Really don't want to have to draw a damn thing again.
Physical attacks until you get powerful magic like Ultima(which won't happen for a loooooooong time) do as much damage as a feather duster. So, you are forced to rely on GFs in combat, making it extremely repetitive. On top of all that, the GF sequences are horrendously long, and accuse me of being blind, but I for one didn't see a "shorten GF animation"

I could go on ranting and raving like this, but I won't for two good reasons

a) I have better things to do
b) the stereotypical FF8 lover has so short an attention span, that they stopped at the words "anyways" and skimmed down to what I am writing now. Yes, YOU. Go back up and read it, then tell me why FF8 is sooooooo wonderful.

MagicKnight Locke
03-31-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Psychotic
LMAO! sheer comic genius!

TCH! Spoilers abound!

Anyways, I think FF8 is the worst Final Fantasy. Pure and simple. I dislike descriptions of this game such as this board's description which goes a little something like this "The most captivating and emotional FF expierience yet"
I'm sorry, but that is just... wrong. For example, the "big evil" in this game is Ultimecia. Do they give us any reason to feel hatred towards her? She wants to compress time! oh the naughty woman! Squall and Rinoa are all :love: but do I really care? No! Am I made to care? No!

The Music? Well, I'm not going to deny that it is good. "Unrest" (The music that comes on when Seifer is around in the early parts of the game, like when he is told he won't be a SeeD) is a superb sng, and one of the best out of the entire Final Fantasy series.

The story? Yeah, that was *soooooooo* great. Not. I felt as if the makers had loads of little ideas, and decided to through them all in. Which ideas? I hear you cry. Well, The whole idea of Garden, the whole idea of Esthar, the whole evil sorceress from the future thing and the whole base in space thing, to name but 4. Whereas in Final Fantasy VII, the majority of the plot was all circulating around a common point.

The characters? I think Square worked so hard to try to give them personalities, that they just made them all moronic posers who just made me think "Pass me the sick bucket" OK, I accept this game has a Fantasy setting, but there are humans in this setting. Humans have personalities. I have never met people with personailities like the ones in 8 - nobody is that extrovert (or inrovert in Squall's case)

Junction system? Well, that was just a whole stupid idea. It basically made combat in Final Fantasy VIII extremely tedious. In order to become powerful, you have to spend ages drawing magic from your lovely enemies. You just sit there pressing the same commands over, and over. Now, this also causes another problem - you now don't want to use magic because you
Physical attacks until you get powerful magic like Ultima(which won't happen for a loooooooong time) do as much damage as a feather duster. So, you are forced to rely on GFs in combat, making it extremely repetitive. On top of all that, the GF sequences are horrendously long, and accuse me of being blind, but I for one didn't see a "shorten GF animation"

I could go on ranting and raving like this, but I won't for two good reasons

a) I have better things to do
b) the stereotypical FF8 lover has so short an attention span, that they stopped at the words "anyways" and skimmed down to what I am writing now. Yes, YOU. Go back up and read it, then tell me why FF8 is sooooooo wonderful.

Psychotic,why are you bashing?Yes bashing.I will make his short to avoid flaming.Most of the things you already know(or forgot)-i have told them to you.

This time you focused on other ppls opinions i see.
If you hate the game so hard then at least dont tamper with other ppls opinions.I aint gonna dictate a 100 things why ff8 is great instead of your opinion.I would just be talking against myself.

I now know that ff8 isn't perfect.It has a few serious holes in the plotline(Edea and Squall:You know there is a sorcerer named ultimecia.Squall:i just got a wacky idea:she wants to compress time!"That was a serious plothole and that ruined the story a lot.

PhoenixAsh
03-31-2003, 10:09 PM
Psychotic quote:
"Junction system? Well, that was just a whole stupid idea. It basically made combat in Final Fantasy VIII extremely tedious. In order to become powerful, you have to spend ages drawing magic from your lovely enemies. You just sit there pressing the same commands over, and over. Now, this also causes another problem - you now don't want to use magic because you

Okay I'm sick of argueing this. People are perfectly entitled to their opinions, but people keep saying this sort of thing, it isn't opinion its just plain false.
FFVIII does not MAKE you sit and draw, in fact it speeds up the process of getting strong a hell of a lot and gives you a choice between that and levelling. It's also a lot less repetitive than hitting attack over and over to get strong.

If you were weak untill you got ultima that was your fault, FFVIII lets you get strong faster than any other FF I've played, it rewards people who learn how to play instead of anyone who wanders around a field for hours on end.

GFs are incredibly powerful, and have their own HP, if there weren't drawbacks to using them the game would be stupidly easy.

Oh no, if I use magic, my stats will go down! Oh no, the games making me making choices and think for a change, make it stop my brain hurts!!! If you wanna just sit and tap the buttons without doing any actual work, mess about with the pad while watching TV, it's much cheaper.

borrie
04-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I think FF8 is by far the best, although admittedly i only played 9 a little (all i could stand) and i haven't played 10 yet.

I didn't care much for the FFs before it, especially 7 with it's cliched characters and boring storyline.

I've heard lots of people complain that the story is boring and the characters are underdeveloped, but i think they're missing the true story. I think Squall is the story, not some war between two countries or some crazy sorceress. It's about Squall, a young man with serious problems and the other characters are just part of his story. The game isn't about beating the crap out of monsters, it's about watching this fragile confused emotionally damaged person finding out who he is and growing up.

Psychotic
04-01-2003, 05:59 PM
First of all, I'd like to state the following fact.
I AM NOT UNDERMIMING ANYONE'S OPINION

Not once did I state "so-and-so's opinion is wrong" All I did was say that I didn't agree with it.

Locke Lionheart, I have never stated I don't care about other people's opinions. The thing about brick walls in my sig? that's just a funny quote someone I know said, it doesn't apply to me.

Bashing, huh? Same old, same old. Now you see, here's an interesting thing. You are making me out to be the villain, claiming I go against other's opinions. Yet here you are, implying that I cannot state my own opinion because it isn't yours. Yes, you didn't say that, but you as good as said it when you called me a basher.

100 Reasons? By all means, please do state them. "I would just be talking against myself" No you wouldn't, I would take the time to read every last one of them if you did such a thing.

Phoenix17, yes, FF8 doesn't MAKE you draw. But to be honest, you'd end up getting hammered some time later on. The thing is, the junction system is easily abusable. You yourself say "FFVIII lets you get strong faster than any other FF I've played" EXACTLY! I would also like to point out you say "If you were weak untill you got ultima that was your fault" Both these quotes tie in with what I am about to state. When I replayed Final Fantasy VIII in February 2003-March 2003, I did not get faced with the game over screen once. FACT. All I'm saying is, where's the challenge in constantly summoning monsters to do your bidding, and winning by miles every time.

"Oh no, if I use magic my stats will go down" Well, to that I say "Oh no! If I use GFs they'll get hurt! ooh no!"

When one dies, there's always another one to take it's place and get it's head kicked in - not before it inflicts major damage, unless it's something like Cerebus of course. "Oh no, the games making me making choices and think for a change, make it stop my brain hurts!!! "

Well, in my opinion the game does not let me make a lot of choices. Let me just take the example of Final Fantasy V - You had to choose a team that would fit the situation best and work together well. That is what I call strategy. In 8, all your characters are the same, you junction stuff to each of them - all of them become clones.

borrie - FF7 had cliched characters huh? Well, other than Barret, I personally cannot think of a single cliche. But, until people like Zell came along, he was not a cliche in the Final Fantasy series. I could also compare Squall to Cloud if I so felt like it, and Rinoa to Aeris, and so on, and basically call FF8's characters cliched too, although if I did that, I'd have to call them more cliched, because FF7 was there first.

As for your idea about the story, I think that is a good idea, but if I was being 100% honest, if Square were really aiming to do that, I think they would just make a movie or something - after all, there'd be no need for random encounters.

As a kind of "Final Thought" don't label me as some kind of villain because I don't like a video game, or in particular, your favourite videogame.

PhoenixAsh
04-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Yep, FFVIII's characters were RIDICULOUSLY cliche, not even Barret can match them on that. The main problem with VIII is the character backgrounds and developement. With the exceptions of Zell (ish) and Squall, there just isn't any.

Psychotic, if you sit through the amount of summons you sound like you do, then of course it's easy, it's tortoise and hare stuff, patience can win through if you choose that style.
The complaints I hear from people about the characters being the same to begin, well I like it. I hate nine for exactly the opposite reason, everyone is dictated how they'll be, and when they'll learn their skills, it's so dull.
Yeah on a replay you shouldn't really get beat unless you're doing something wierd, that's because the game rewards the skilled. Meaning your first play is actually a challenge, then you replay and YOU affect your game.

The story was good, but with way too many plotholes, R=U tied everything up nicely, but apparently in that case opinions are allowed to be wrong.

Besimudo
04-02-2003, 08:22 AM
I do not class FF8 as a final fantasy game, because it is so much better than the others.

FF8 is the rare exception.. mainstream Budget... Art house story line ... I WAS IN HEAVEN PLAYING FF8. FF8 is the ONLY FF game that I have ever replayed.

Rinoa Heartilly
04-02-2003, 06:51 PM
oh a let's compare ff8 to 7 thread , now that's original ^^

first i'd like to point out that there is no R=U thing...seriously take my word for it, there is a connection, but it's the simple connection clearlt explained in the game...
seriously

but one thing i would like to understand, just WHAT plotholes were there, yes there were some stones left unturned but i don't see in what way ffviii was plot-lacking in respects to ff7

because while you mention some parts were you find it lacks 'plot' and 'depth' you never clearly explain why
now i might be a slow dimwitted idiot for not understanding, but please humour me ^^

PhoenixAsh
04-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Okay plotholes. Well lets see...

With the obvious exception of the whole time compression thing as I think they gave up on sense by then, there are many.

I'll just mention the glaringly painful ones.

Everything discussed at the ruined basketball court. (If you don't believe in R=U, then this is just insane)

Seifer and Co. I don't think people act this stupidly in real life, or even in fantasy.

ULTIMECIA, what the hell?????

Squall, he went from unqualified team member, to rookie team leader, to big team leader, to being in control of an entire army. This while kinda acceptable just added to the lack of realism.

Everything that happens after the Ragnarok lands, pretty much till the end of the game.

I could go on, but I'd just pick the game apart for the sake of it. Some of the things I've said can be debated, but there's plenty in there.

I'm not gonna go into seven, but there aren't nearly as many obvious ones. Of course that might be because we're allowed to fill in blanks with seven unlike with eight.

Besimudo
04-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Look this is the last time; the reason you prefer ff7 to ff8 is because you are dim-witted. I am really tired of the old ff7 vs. ff8. Let just close with

THE FF8 FORUM IS FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE FF8 not for invading FF7 tribes to attack with their high school programme arguments. Its simple university lecturers enjoy Donny Darko and FF8 due to the covert themes, where as Star Wars and FF7, FF9 and FF10 hand you the plot and the conclusions on a plastersine kindergarten platter. Just admit that FF7 was a prototype for FF8, then due to mainstream panic FF9 was dumped down a peg (back to FF7's level)

This is why many people who like FF7 also loved 9 & 10... These FF games were on their level.

The real guys (university level) all agree FF8 is the only FF with any substance.

Well if you do not agree you probably never will. Unless, of course you open your eyes up to literature from Chaucer, Milton, Swift or Shakespeare. Then you will realise why FF8 is the only masterpiece. Failing this at the very least discard your copies of Magic the gathering novels and Stephen King’s latest thriller….

UltimaSepheroth
04-03-2003, 01:49 AM
ignorance!

*someone move this to the ffvii forum for the little crying child's sake*

Besimudo
04-03-2003, 05:50 AM
Well at least I do not have a fettish for men with long hair!!! you know what I mean... Sephiroth and that wrestler guy damn your closet must be about to burst open.

Emotion Sickness
04-03-2003, 09:48 AM
ahhh shutup Besimudo.....

guys if u like the game u like it, if u dont u dont... get OVER it, everyones been there done that... sheesh...

chadmonkey
04-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Besimudo
Look this is the last time; the reason you prefer ff7 to ff8 is because you are dim-witted. I am really tired of the old ff7 vs. ff8. Let just close with

THE FF8 FORUM IS FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE FF8 not for invading FF7 tribes to attack with their high school programme arguments. Its simple university lecturers enjoy Donny Darko and FF8 due to the covert themes, where as Star Wars and FF7, FF9 and FF10 hand you the plot and the conclusions on a plastersine kindergarten platter. Just admit that FF7 was a prototype for FF8, then due to mainstream panic FF9 was dumped down a peg (back to FF7's level)

This is why many people who like FF7 also loved 9 & 10... These FF games were on their level.

The real guys (university level) all agree FF8 is the only FF with any substance.

Well if you do not agree you probably never will. Unless, of course you open your eyes up to literature from Chaucer, Milton, Swift or Shakespeare. Then you will realise why FF8 is the only masterpiece. Failing this at the very least discard your copies of Magic the gathering novels and Stephen King’s latest thriller….

Well at least I do not have a fettish for men with long hair!!! you know what I mean... Sephiroth and that wrestler guy damn your closet must be about to burst open.

OK, now you're just attacking people instead of discussing the game. That's called flamming. Shame on you! :mad:

Psychotic
04-03-2003, 06:11 PM
By the looks of things, you like to think of yourself as an intellectual, yet you degrade yourself to the level of flaming.

This post could be classed as flaming, but meh.

First of all, I don't think anyone who has played the last 4 FF games will agree that FF10 is classed with FF7 and 9. 10 and 8 are extremely similar to each other so for this reason, I doubt you have played FF10.

THE FF8 FORUM IS FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE FF8 not for invading FF7 tribes to attack with their high school programme arguments[quote]

No, you are wrong there. This forum is for Discussing Final Fantasy VIII. Read the forum main page "Discuss the most captivating and emotional Final Fantasy to date" It doesn't say "Post here if you like Final Fantasy VIII" High School Programme? I have often considered FF8 to be a "High School Programme" And as for tribes? What the!? you think we form little tribes on the FF7 forum? And I don't class myself as a one forum guy, I post on every FF forum.

[quote]Just admit that FF7 was a prototype for FF8, then due to mainstream panic FF9 was dumped down a peg (back to FF7's level)

...Just no. What you're basically stating is every single thing Square has done has led up to the creation of Final Fantasy VIII. And that is just narrow-minded.

So... only people who are in university are "real guys" ?
My brother goes to Uni. He doesn't like FF8. Oh dear, I proved your theory wrong, so sorry.

Name-drop central.... but you think literature is the only way to become an intellectual? And as for Geoffrey Chaucer, his work (or at least the Canterbury Tales) isn't what I'd call stimulating.

And there we go again, another "high school" type diss, this time, you insult magic the gathering. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't like Magic the Gathering and have never owned any of those cards or will, but I don't class people that play it as stupid. That's just petty.
I don't think that people that like FF8 are stupid, but if you flame mindlessly then think yourself to be king intellect afterwards, that is stupid.

Burtsplurt
04-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Look this is the last time; the reason you prefer ff7 to ff8 is because you are dim-witted. ~ Bushiwotsit

Yeah, that must be the reason. Why didn't I see that before? Oh, because I'm so dim-witted!

Well at least I do not have a fettish for men with long hair!!! you know what I mean... Sephiroth and that wrestler guy damn your closet must be about to burst open. ~ Bushiwotsit

My, is that a Laguna avatar I see? Quite long hair, no?

The real guys (university level) all agree FF8 is the only FF with any substance. ~ Bushiwotsit

I'm "real", yet I don't like FFVIII. I complete my BSc in Marine Biology in a couple of months. Maybe I only liked FFVII because they went underwater and there was a dolphin in it. Yeah, that must be it. Oh, and the fact that I'm dim-witted.

PhoenixAsh
04-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Okay given that Besimudo obviously hasn't played seven or ten given his lack of knowledge on them, lets assume he's trying to draw your reactions and succeeded. So can we get back on topic, and hope a reading mod will ban him.

chadmonkey
04-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17
So can we get back on topic, and hope a reading mod will ban him.

Amen.

Besimudo
04-03-2003, 11:56 PM
This was too contraversial...

chadmonkey
04-04-2003, 12:04 AM
This was too contraversial...

It only turns controversial when you attack people and flame rather than discuss the topic.

Phil
04-05-2003, 07:54 PM
(SPOILER AS FOLLOWS ABOUT CLOUD. DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW!)ultima sephroth (trevor) why do you always have to be so degrading? final fantasy 8 is actually a good game. now i know you are obsessed with ff7,and that is ok. i mean, you talk about squall being weird, but cloud strife kept a lie going about him being a soldier all the time. in reality he was a spiky headed blonde boy who couldnt make it into the military. ff8 is a good game. kist talk to chappy about it. also, if you hate it so much, than why are you so far in it. what disc two? yeah that is right. and by the way....it isnt nice to insult people by calling them crybabys even if they dont agree with you. by the way.....er......when is the latin book thingy due next week?

UltimaSepheroth
04-05-2003, 10:21 PM
you did not mark the spoiler about cloud. (i would suggest you edit it)

and we do not have a date set for the "latin book thingy".

Rand Al'Tor
04-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Hmm...guess I'll see if we can all calm down. First of all. I prefer VIII. this doesn't mean VIII is 'better' or VII 'worse' it juts means VIII meets my needs better then VII. (though I have lesspressing needs in a video game that I find in VII more then VIII) I'll see if I can adress the points Psyhotic raised. (if he hasn't gives up on us eighties. Hey, we could call FFVII fans seventies and FFVIII fans Eighties....and we could have secret handshakes....and member cards....Booyaka! oops...euh...no I'm really not a FFVIII haracter excaped, honest! (careful Selphie!)

I would disagree with your captivating comment in any case. FF VII was really interesting, but it was with VIII that I was constantly looking forward to what was gonna happen next.

I'm sorry, but that is just... wrong. For example, the "big evil" in this game is Ultimecia. Do they give us any reason to feel hatred towards her? She wants to compress time! oh the naughty woman! Squall and Rinoa are all but do I really care? No! Am I made to care? No!

Well that's a personal thing isn't it? Plenty of people do are, to the point of discussing it here and writing loads of fanfic on it, so SS has succeded in getting a few people (including me) touched didn't they?

Actually, one could claiml the story could have done with a bit less. (one of the reasons I would LOVE a sequel. Plenty of things still uncovered) OTOH, perhaps that an be onsidered a boon. Unlike VII, that finnishes off things rather nicely, VII still leaves a world in GREAT turmoil, with plenty of myusteries still in effect. And if you believe, like me, in the R=U theory (and Rinoa: I'm afraid I'm not gonna believe you on your word. If you are certain you have undeniable evidence, the mods ain't peeking in my Private Message Archive) there IS a central thing in the plot. As the title song goes, 'the succesion of witches/sorceresses.'

Heh, people an be surprisingly extreme. I mean, who would believe a president like Bush in a movie and yet...AUCH *gets hit in the head with a hammer by the 'no political debate'-faerie.... Anyway, I'd say that VII is in a bit of a glass house situation there. Vincent? Okay, the guy has style, AND a cool background, but when it comes to overdone Angst, he's got Squall SERIOUSLY beat (of course, nothing wrong with LIKING a character with the angst piled high into the sky) Selphie is cheerful yes, but then, Yuffie is so insanely untrustworthy and arrogant.

Backgrounds for VIII haracters ARE limited...And I was a bit 'oh did they HAVE to do that?' when they all came from the sameorphanage.. But what has been DONE with that background, I like.

Thing I like about the characters in VIII is that they interact more. In VII I had a bit of a feeling that I was travelling with a lot of, admittedly, interesting characters who just hunbg togetehr because they all hated ShinRa. The VIII gang is a team, with it's own likes and dislikes under the surfae. Also, the characters in VIII might have lacked background, but they had way more dialogue then VII, where it was mainly Cloud (and Tifa and id for a while) who were doing the talking. Still VII was a WHOLE improvement on VI in that departement. I'm not really so terribly impressed by VI BTW.

Granted. But as I'm not the type to really be busy with maxing my characters, that doesn't really bug me as much as it could.

Granted AGAIN, and they learned from that in their next games (GO SQUARESOFT) Still, if you do the whole 'boring drawing' thing, you SHOULD be able to finnish keeping your GF's nicely in your head eating memories of all your cherished loved ones.

PhoenixAsh
04-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Okay I think pretty much the opposite. The fighting stuff was brilliant, almost everything in the menu screen was almost perfect, from cards to modding to junctioning to GFs etc.

Ultimecia was a waste of time unless you follow R=U (which I do so I like it).

Everyone growing up together is just painfull. The characters were also a bit too extreme, I mean yes seven had extreme characters, but it had normal ones too.

VIII also wrapped everything up way to nicely, I mean it could have done with a little ribbon or something. A sequel would annoy me because it would mean screwing with the characters again which would just be cruel.

So all in all, great battle and menu system, but the plot was a bit too simplistic. It gets my vote for second best FF.

Phil
04-07-2003, 11:42 PM
junctioning confused me........:Oo:
Materia= easy as pie

darkchrono
04-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Ok I will list a few of the major plot holes in VIII that made me lose alot of interest in it.

1. Why in the world did they have the newly named Seed Squall become the leader of an entire Garden within a couple days. That really made no sense. Like the only reason they did that was because he was the main character of the game.

2. Why was Quistis stupid enough to abandon her post in the assasination attempt just because she thought she had hurt Rinoa's feelings. Would someone in real life in the army risk the ruination of an entire mission just because they thought they had hurt the feelings of somebody they had only known for what a day or so. (Which is all Quistis and Rinoa had known eachother.)

3. The whole deal where they grew up in the same orphanage does not even need to be discussed.

4. The whole GF gave me memory loss thing seemed like kind of a copout for explaining to the players why there were no backstories. Saying there were no backstories because they simply couldn't remember because the GF's gave them memory loss.

5. The horrible villian development does not need to be discussed either.

That is all I will list now. Also when you said that you felt that the VII characters were interesting. Yet you felt that they were only with eachother for their hatred of Shinra.

They were brought together because of a common goal. And while you may say that Yuffie, Vincent, Cid, and Cait Sith were kind of their just to fill a little bit of space. Without having deep roots or attachments to the others. The four main characters though were different.

Barret and Tifa chosingly fought together. And Cloud was brought in by Tifa. And Aeris was brought in by Cloud.That their forms a solid group of friends.

Which is exactly how groups of friends are formed in real life. You have a couple people who have been friends for awhile. And others are brought in by particular individuals of the group already formed and the group becomes larger.

So Cloud, Tifa, Barret, and Aeris formed the inner circle of the group. While Cid, Vincent, Yuffie, and I suppose Cait Sith formed the outer circle of the group. A very realistic reflection of how groups are in real life.

And how can you say that anybody besides Squall and Rinoa really cared for eachother in VIII. That group was brought together because they were told they had to be together. They did not come together through choice. Were the characters in VIII really bonded through a common goal. Or were they just following the orders that they were given choosing not to show what their real opinions were.

So in my opinion, VII is the game in which the characters showed that they really cared for eachother. And that they were all together because of a common goal. Their bonding with eachother was not artificial like it very well could have been for the characters of VIII.

Just view it like this. The VII characters were like a bunch of friends who hung out together because they were all people who had alot in common.

While the VIII characters were together because their teacher assigned them to work on a project together for school. While they may learn to enjoy being around eachother. They were not necessarily the choice of each to be partners with.

Kuja124
06-13-2003, 01:32 AM
So Cloud, Tifa, Barret, and Aeris formed the inner circle of the group. While Cid, Vincent, Yuffie, and I suppose Cait Sith formed the outer circle of the group. A very realistic reflection of how groups are in real life.

You forgot Red 13 :(

BG-57
06-13-2003, 01:36 PM
My thoughts about FFVIII compared to the others:

Characters: I liked them a lot, particularly Quistis, Squall, and Edea. Their designs were well done and had interesting personalities. I suspect that FFVIII comes the closest in the series to the feel of a shojo (girl's) manga, where the emphasis lies more with how the characters feel than what happens. Granted, not everyone's cup of tea. I don't mind the plot holes because I like the tone of the story.

Drawing: it was a nice change of pace from MP. It wasn't collecting common magic that was annoying, so much as collecting rare magic from bosses (like Pain, Ultima, etc...), since I wanted everyone in my party to have 100 of the rare types and some characters draw much more slowly than others (like Zell).

Junctioning: confusing at first, but rearranging and switching junctions feels about as complicated as switching materia around. Magicite required far less juggling. The nice thing was with a large stock of magic, boosting stats with junctions felt like a puzzle.

GF: Nice touch that they can level up and get hurt. I just wish Square would wake up and make them playable characters! I like the look of GFs in this game better than any other FF, before or since.

Triple Triad: I ignored this game the first playthrough, now I'm completely addicted when I play FFVIII. Many a night at 1 AM I would mutter...just one...more...card.

Environment: Castles are nice and all, but it's fun to play in cities and towns that look modern. I felt the same way about the places in FFVII. If Dollet existed, I'd move there. :D

Earning Money: The only element I truely hated about this game. The SeeD ranking system punishes you for straying away from the storyline too long by demoting you. :mad2: I love the option to spend hours hacking up my party if I want to so that was irritating. I much prefer getting money from the slain monsters, even if it makes no logical sense.

Music: Simply beautiful. I love the opening theme and anything involving Edea.

Despite the drawbacks, it's my favorite FF game in the series. :)

Kuja124
06-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Junctioning: confusing at first, but rearranging and switching junctions feels about as complicated as switching materia around. Magicite required far less juggling. The nice thing was with a large stock of magic, boosting stats with junctions felt like a puzzle.

You see that's the part I did not like. I understood the Junctioning. But I did not like that all the characters you got could do that. It took away the fun of getting a new character. I mean in FF6 yeah the characters could all use magic and summons. But you never needed to really give them magic. The same thign with FF4, FF9, FF1, and FF5.

I don't like haveing all my characters doing the same thing and all beign able to use magic

GF: Nice touch that they can level up and get hurt. I just wish Square would wake up and make them playable characters! I like the look of GFs in this game better than any other FF, before or since.

FF10's summons are much better. You can use them in battle much longer. :)

Psychotic
06-13-2003, 06:44 PM
A) Don't revive dead threads that are dead, I'm no mod but it's just naughty

B) Why compare FF's to FF's? Once I started doing that, I began to dislike FFVIII, as shown on page 1. It's because of comparision that a game has now been ruined for me because I began to look for faults. Don't freaking do it if you don't want a game ruined. I now have FF8 ruined for me, hence why I can only criticise.