PDA

View Full Version : SO I post at this forum but...

Moomba Misstress
03-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I'd really like to use the chat too! It tells me that a java applet failed and I tried the MIRC thing, but I just dont understand it.... I emailed that "contect us" thing at the bottome, but I'm not sure if that's what I was supposed to do. Could someone plz just tell me how to get the chat room up and runnning for me so I can use it? I hope I have done no wrong in posting this here..... Thanks MM :fd:

PS: I clicked no on the Email Notification, and I still get em.....I was just ignoring it, but I thought since I'm posting in here anyway.....you know.

Burtsplurt
03-17-2003, 06:45 PM
You might have a firewall that blocks off chat ports. I know my university does that. Did you accept the Java Client when it popped up?

You'll keep on getting e-mails to your subscribed threads despite turning off notification. You'll have to delete the subscribed threads in your profile. I remember I had the Final Fantasy VII Trivia thread subscribed for a month or so; that wasn't fun.

Mr. Graves
03-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Do a search for the Java Virtual Machine. I used to have that problem too but after downloading it, I had no problems chatting.

crono_logical
03-17-2003, 07:40 PM
To connect in mirc:

Open mIRC.
Go to File > Options.
Select Connect in the left column.

Since it's your first time, you need to add the chat server manually - you don't have to do this again once it's done (unless to reset mirc or something :p)

To do this, click the Add button on the right.
Give it some description you want :p
Type <B>209.69.98.11</B> in the IRC Server box. (The real name is <B>irc.ffchat.net</b> but that occasionally gives problems for some people due to DNS issues, so it's safer to use the IP address for now).
Port number should be changed to <B>6669</B> - 6667 is a different chat network on the same machine, where you won't find us lot :p
Group can be what you want (or left blank).
Password should be left blank.
Then click Add.

Now it's added, whatever description you gave it is what the server will appear as in the bigger dropdown box in the Connect options. Find it in the list, then before clicking connect, make sure the Full Name, Email Address and Nickname boxes underneath are filled in as you want them to be, then click Connect To Server.

You'll get another window, which will show lots of garbage as it's connecting. Once you see <B>End of /MOTD</B> (message of the day), type <B>/join #eoff</B> and it should make you join the channel :p

Moomba Misstress
03-18-2003, 01:51 AM
OK, it just keeps saying unable to connect to socket, that's bad huh? I did all that other stuff, so maybe I'll try Java. :fd: Thanks for the help :)

Ok, that's was confusing... that Java thing has like 3 different names and I have no clue if any of the downloads were free. Do you know of a place where I can get it, or how to fix the MIRC thing, I'd REALLY liek to use the chat room...... thanks :fd:

My MIRC won't connect me....it says it can't connect... I'll keep trying though, I really wanna chat....

Does anyone know what the unable to create socket thing means, everytime it tries to conncet it says that...

(Oh, and I do have a firewall, but I clicked that I recognize the program and to let it always connect.)

eestlinc
03-18-2003, 02:05 AM
you can find mIRC on download.com and its way more fun that just using java chat.

Yamaneko
03-18-2003, 02:20 AM
Does the Trillian IRC chat even work? I've tried connecting to ffchat and it never does. mIRC on the other hand does.

crono_logical
03-18-2003, 04:45 AM
What firewall are you using? Did you make sure it allows outgoing connections, and not just incoming? (Incoming is ok for mirc, especially for file transfers, but you need outgoing to connect to the server).

Yamaneko
03-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Nope, don't have a firewall.

crono_logical
03-18-2003, 05:53 AM
I was asking the moomba girl, not you :p

Yamaneko
03-18-2003, 05:55 AM
D'oh.:D

Moomba Misstress
03-18-2003, 06:54 AM
It's McAfee firewall, ill go check on that other stuff, but I believe yes...OK, now MIRC is allowed to do wahtever it wants....Ill go see if it works... :fd:

Ok, well, it finally worked, but then some one was just plain mean to me so I guess it wasn't really worth all the fuss eh?.... What a load of....nvm...whatever
Thanks Crono, I know not everyone is mean here, in fact not many are, but there is no place of perfect eh?

crono_logical
03-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Ah well xD I'd have greeted you except my $&*€£& network happened to be down for about an hour during when I assume you were there, looking at your post timestamp :p