PDA

View Full Version : Run a few programs, restart. rinse/repeat.

TBG
03-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Eck... i've been having bit of computer trouble I hope you nice people can help with.

See, I just went and bough a new cd-r/rw drive, and some new ram.

I wen't and installed the things, and everything seemed fine booting up. Then windows wen't and updated its database or whatever when it detected my new cd-r/rw. It seemed to have locked up after that, so I restarted it.

When it reboooted, everything seemed fine. I popped in a cdrom, played a bit of Brood war, and deemed everything to be ok.

THEN, I went to burn some music and WHAMMO, the comp just rebooted itself just as I attempted to run Nero.

Figuring it was a fluke, I waited for it to boot up again. I opened Kazaa to look for some more music, then opened opera to check out some websites while I was waiting for DL to finsih, and WHAMMO, it did it again as soon as I double clicked the shortcut.

And so on and so on and so on. It's really pissing me off having to go through the entire boot process just about every other time I open a program.

From what I can tell, either the inherently buggy windows ME is finally cracking, and the stuff I added today was just coincidental. Of course, I could be wrong, so I ask for a more educated opinion on what I should do.

Sugguestions?

crono_logical
03-26-2003, 07:43 AM
Don't use WinME? :D

Also, I know Win98 can't even boot with 1 GB or more RAM available, dunno if WinME has some simlar problem, but fi you have that much RAM, it might be possible.

(On a side note, my PC locks up with 3 RAM sticks installed for some reason, but that's a motherboard problem for me.)

Dr Unne
03-26-2003, 07:55 AM
When I first got my CD-RW drive it came with an old version of Nero, and sometimes while it was trying to burn a CD it'd reboot the computer spontaneously (thus destroying the CD). I think the problem went away when I got a newer version of Nero, and eventually got rid of Win98 and got WinME, then WinXP. If you don't have access to newer versions of Windows, maybe you should reinstall Windows from scratch. Hard drive reformatting and Windows reinstalling from scratch is the only solution I've found that works 100% of the time for many Windows problems. It's pathetic, but that's Windows for you. Did your CD drive come with a driver CD? If so maybe remove the auto-Windows installation of it, and then install the drivers from the CD. Maybe Windows picked a crappy driver.