PDA

View Full Version : I've been banned from chat apparently...??

Mr. Graves
03-26-2003, 12:56 AM
....Why? I didn't do anything wrong, that I know of. Nothing out of the way or vulgar. Is there a server problem?? What's up?

Yamaneko
03-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Most likely your ISP got banned. Might want to talk to Scott though.

Mr. Graves
03-26-2003, 01:11 AM
Ok. Thanks Yamaneko. I was a little worried.

Sheik
03-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Hah, I was banned too! Oh well, it's not like I actually did anything good in chat. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

crono_logical
03-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Um, dn banned entire java chat for some reason, dunno why.

*unbans*

m4tt
03-26-2003, 07:45 AM
It was because someone came in looking for help on FF5, and when no one could answer his question he began flaming everyone.

crono_logical
03-26-2003, 07:47 AM
Doesn't mean block all java, just his ISP/address should be enough :p

m4tt
03-26-2003, 08:06 AM
He was on AOL, and his IP could not be banned because of the exempt. I dunno, dn did a bunch of stuff. :p

ZeZipster
03-26-2003, 09:58 PM
You cannot ban one AOLer alone because the dolts at AOL decided they wanted to be different and make all hostmasks the same except for one section of the hostmask example:

______.ipt.aol.com
The blank may be any thing for any user, and the blank also changes every time you log off AOL. On Webnet, when I had to deal with flooders (annoying little peope who log on to proxies or AOL and with poorly scripted add-ons they repeat the same or randomized text to cause lag and make staying in the chat incredibly hard) I would talk to the Administrators of the server about AOLers and as it turns out AOL won't do any thing about it. I don't know why, maybe they can't track people on their own ISP. Webnet has some new system now were users are forced to register before they can join unregistered channels or in some cases registered channels that have different modes set. Because you are required to provide a valid e-mail address when you register you can't very well flood, because if Webnet has a problem with an AOLer who decides to flood, they ban that e-mail address from registering, this makes flooding a lot harder, when you don't have a registered username to flood with you don't flood at all. Whether the server EoFF is using right now can implement this technology I don't know, so I guess either
1. AOL is banned untill the flamer gets a life,
2. The flamer is banned when he is noticed on the channel
3. EoFF changes server.
4. FFnet (I think that's what EoFF is on) pays big bucks to download the latest and greatest conference room software (http://www.conferenceroom.com/main.htm very expensive).
5. In my perfect world, all AOLers would be convinced that AOL is evil and switch to a high speed ISP or a cheaper dial-up ISP.

Mr. Graves
03-26-2003, 10:01 PM
ZeZipster: I'm never on AOL. I have a high-speed cable connection; so that shoots the AOL conclusion out of the water.

Oh, and I'm not banned no more. :) Good thing.