PDA

View Full Version : AAARGH, THE POPUPS!

Citizen Bleys
03-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Does anybody know of a popup killer for Mozilla/Linux? I'm getting raped here.

No, I won't use Opera for Linux. I know it can natively block pop-ups, but I *hate* the Linux version of Opera. It won't play Flash, and it mucks up nigh *every* page on the 'net.

Yamaneko
03-28-2003, 12:59 AM
What!? Linux/Mozilla doesn't have a built-in one? I thought it did, since the programmers of Mozilla promise that they don't compromise the intergrity of their product from OS to OS.

Hmm... http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/browse/0,cat,1448,sortIdx,1,00.asp I guess you could try some of those.

Dr Unne
03-28-2003, 02:17 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix Phoenix has built-in popup killing. I thought Mozilla did too. In Phoenix you check "no popups" and none pop up unless you click a link to open them in a page.

Shlup
03-28-2003, 04:30 AM
Panicware's pop-up stopper doesn't work for Linux?
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html

Moomba Misstress
03-28-2003, 04:40 AM
A random zapper just showed up one day on my computer. It's called Comet if you wanna look it up, I have no clue where it came from. It can be rather annoying though, it works TOO well and zaps link popups, not just ad popups. But I'm guesssing they all might do that. Its nice though, do a web search on it if you want. :fd:

Dr Unne
03-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Comet is probably Spyware. i.e. it installs without asking you, and it probably collects information about everything you do and sends it to some company somewhere so they can do marketing research. It's about as unethical a piece of software you can get without being illegal. Adaware ( http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ ) will clean your computer of that garbage.

Yamaneko
03-28-2003, 04:59 AM
Yeah, spyware clogs up your system. I remember when I ran Adaware and got rid of that junk, my internet connection sped up considerably.

Moomba Misstress
03-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Thanks Guys you were right! I got the Adware and its all gone as well as a couple other things I didn't know where still floating around. Thanks Imma use that thing forever now! Im checking out the ad zapper Unne posted called Phoenix. Imma see how that works. But now I miss the cool mouse pointer I had....:fd:

Yeah its not, I found that out.

Dr Unne
03-28-2003, 05:49 AM
Phoenix isn't an ad-zapper, it's actually a complete web browser you can use instead of IE. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Yamaneko
03-28-2003, 05:55 AM
I actually recommend Phoenix or Mozilla over IE, if you want to get it. Phoenix is really awesome because it's really small, but powerful and it has tabbed browsing, which I love. So does Mozilla, but it's slower and chunkier than Phoenix. Just think Phoenix as the stripped-down version of Mozilla.

Dr Unne
03-28-2003, 06:08 AM
Of course, I recommend Phoenix too. I'm using it right now. :)

crono_logical
03-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Heh, 'tis funny how most of the thread has no meaning under linux systems :p

Bleys: In Mozilla, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Scripts and Plugins, and untick the Open Unrequested Windows box. :D I'm assuming it'd be the same in Mozilla regardless of the OS, since the source code should be the same - otherwise you could always download the source and compile yourself - that window option thing is present in version 1.2.1 I know for sure :p

eestlinc
03-28-2003, 09:51 AM
On your advice I downloaded Phoenix and am now using it. It rocks except any time I try to update my preferences it freezes. Also, it doesn't seem to read my user.js customizations.

Dr Unne
03-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Phoenix is still in a state of constant development. Maybe try downloading another version of Phoenix. If you got a nightly binary, try getting a Release version instead. Or vice versa.

(The other good thing about Phoenix is right-click, Block Images From This Server, which lets you kill ad banners.)

Citizen Bleys
03-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
Panicware's pop-up stopper doesn't work for Linux?
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html

Panicware's pop-up stopper doesn't work spectacularly well in Windows, let alone Linux.

EDIT: And no, there is no Linux version. No windows programs run in Linux.

crono_logical
03-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
Panicware's pop-up stopper doesn't work spectacularly well in Windows, let alone Linux.

EDIT: And no, there is no Linux version. No windows programs run in Linux.

WINE? :p

Citizen Bleys
03-28-2003, 05:33 PM
WINE's an emulator. The Windows programs are running--poorly if at all--under an emulator, not under Linux itself :)

I cannot, for instance, play RO or Diablo II without booting into Windows--Both programs rely on the System Registry, which does not exist under Linux, even if the WINE daemon is running.

I'd *like* to run the Windows version of AIM under Linux, since neither AOL's Linux client nor GAIM will actually save the messages people leave while I'm in Away mode....which is why I usually shut down GAIM instead of putting up an Away message. No real point.

Dr Unne
03-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Windows version of AIM runs pretty much perfectly under WINE. Diablo II does too from what I hear, though I've never tried. I successfully got KaZaA working in WINE, along with Winzip 8 and Textpad and my Windows NES emulator and Warcraft II and some other stuff. The hardest part about using WINE is setting it up to begin with I think. After that the hardest part is finding all the libraries you need. http://appdb.winehq.com/appindex.php is very helpful getting things to work. People leave comments of what problems they had and how they fixed them, usually listing specific dlls to download and specific sites to get them from, and if people there say something doesn't work in WINE you can be pretty sure it doesn't. As far as RO goes though, you're out of luck I'm guessing. WINE has a Windows registry, but it's not exactly like a real Windows one of course, because a lot of stuff is hard-coded into the wineserver and bypasses registry stuff I think.

They're coming out with a new version of GAIM soon. Version .60 or something. It's going to support file transfers. Yay. File transfers are all I miss from AIM.