PDA

View Full Version : who says FFIX isn't the best?

Davis
04-04-2003, 01:13 AM
Who honestly can say Final Fantasy 9 isn't the best Final Fantasy??? It has the best music in any FF and it just seems so really (besides graphics) it just seems like it really could be something happening in real life. (much like 10) But can anyone say that any other FF is much better??

eestlinc
04-04-2003, 01:23 AM
I liek 5 a little more, but I don't understand how people say they hated 9.

IamTidus
04-04-2003, 01:44 AM
At first I thought VIII was the best but now that I beat IX I must say FFIX is by far the best and now my favorite

Big D
04-04-2003, 02:50 AM
I've enjoyed every FF that I've played, and I've completed 4 to 9 inclusive. 7 always stands out for me, but 9 was good. Very good. Not my favourite, but certainly not my least favourite either.
Lots of good ideas and characters, a nicely involved plot. I have reasons for not considering it the best, but I won't list them here.

FFIX is just neat.

Davis
04-04-2003, 11:51 AM
I still dont know why so many people hated 9, it's my favorite and it's great! who has some ideas of why it's bad? (dont mention graphics, it's on PS)

HOOTERS
04-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I don't think it was the best but I think it's a great game and that's all that matters.

Scandalous
04-04-2003, 09:04 PM
I love Final Fantasy IX! It tops as my most favourite game to date. I thought the graphics were awesome, the designs of all the locations and the characters all rocked!

=D Rock on FFIX.

Davis
04-04-2003, 09:29 PM
hey, RinoaHeartilly190, the quote at the bottom of your post, "If I should leave this lonely world behind....."
where did you find it? or did you just make it up?

Kimera 726
04-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Well I think different FFs stand out in different ways. FFVIII r0x0rs with the music, but FFIX stands out with the story. Love stories isn't really my favorite kinda things, but I'm glad this one I liked. Weapons were sweet in design too (I like to fight in RPGs more than anything else). Yeah, FFIX is a great game, my favorite game actually so far.

And Davis: if you played the American version of FFIX, you couldn't have missed that line. It's part of "the song".

Big D
04-04-2003, 11:38 PM
I still dont know why so many people hated 9, it's my favorite and it's great! who has some ideas of why it's bad? (dont mention graphics, it's on PS)
Things I personally didn't like:

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD! Don't say I didn't warn you!

* Lack of development of secondary characters.

* Inconsistent character designs - too many different species on that one world, and there were so many different artists involved in designing them that it's sometimes a bit of a jumble. Look at Brahne, Steiner, Beatrix and Amarant: all human, yet with the exception of Beatrix, they all have some distinctly inhuman features. Brahne and Amarant have blue skin, Amarant has arms so long that a gorilla would be jealous, Steiner's eyes have no irises, and there's no indentation in the middle of his top lip. In fact, he doesn't really have lips, as such.

* Frequently poor, even childish dialogue which was predictable at times.
"H-hey, yo, whatcha gonna wanna do 'bout it? Gwa bwa mwa ha!" That kind of thing greatly decreased the impact and poignancy of the story. Slightly better English would've been a significant improvement.

* Plot points: Eiko has been virtually alone for most of her short life. Yet she's still cocky and sure of herself, and is somehow able to recognise Dr Tot as a 'nerdy academic'.

* Zidane's attitude: his refusal to acknowledge the skill, intellect or authority of those in power. Most of the cast never learn that Regent Cid ordered Tantalus to abduct Garnet for her own safety. It's possible that even Zidane didn't know. Everyone except Cid, Artania and Garnet probably assumed that Tantalus was going to hold the princess for ransom, torturing or raping her to force Queen Brahne's compliance with their ransom demands. Abducting a young woman for personal gain is a completely abhorrent act, yet Zidane is still abusive and discourteous to those who try to protect what is right. He should've been greatful that Steiner or Amarant never gutted him on the spot for his 'crimes'.

So those are my 'gripes' about FFIX. They're all exceedingly minor, merely matters of personal opinion. I still love Final Fantasy IX, please don't doubt that.

Phil
04-05-2003, 07:43 PM
er.....ok so i take it you dont like the game much....
i personally loooooove ff9. it is the best one in the series by far. i love the charachters (and they are not underdeveloped no matter what he says ^) and i think they are some of the best and most original i have ever seen. as for the different artists, if one person designed every single charachter, how interesting would that be? they would all be the same! personally if i had to play ff9 for eternity i would be just fine!:D

Davis
04-05-2003, 08:07 PM
a'ight, today I beat FFIX disk one!

Phil
04-05-2003, 08:20 PM
weee so you are in burmecia, heading to clerya, and you are about to control dagger again and beat up black waltz number three. have fun

Davis
04-05-2003, 08:22 PM
wow, the battle aganst a waltz with garnet, stiner and marus is just a little easy

Big D
04-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by vincent06
er.....ok so i take it you dont like the game much....
i personally loooooove ff9. it is the best one in the series by far. i love the charachters (and they are not underdeveloped no matter what he says ^) and i think they are some of the best and most original i have ever seen. as for the different artists, if one person designed every single charachter, how interesting would that be? they would all be the same! personally if i had to play ff9 for eternity i would be just fine!:D

Please, no, I really do adore FFIX... it didn't have the same impact on me as VII or VIII, and there are a few things which I think aren't perfect about it, but otherwise, it's brilliant.

Davis wanted to know what people dislike about FFIX, I gave my humble yet honest opinion.
That is all.:)

Phil
04-06-2003, 01:19 AM
oh ok. sorry i misunderstood. no problem

Big D
04-06-2003, 04:14 AM
Not at all, it's only natural to stand up for, and defend, something that you like.

eestlinc
04-06-2003, 07:21 AM
the main part where I think the game could have been improved is the whole four shrines deal. They should have made you fight through each and face the boss with two member parties. that would have been much cooler.

PhoenixAsh
04-06-2003, 03:41 PM
The main problems I had with FFIX is how it's set up. For most of the game you have almost no freedom. You are completely limited as to how strong you can be until the game let's you, and you can't really go anywhere yourself till really late on.
I also hate the lack of personalisation available. Not only does everyone have just four main commands, you can't choose what they are, when you learn them, or how good you are with them.

Another problem was mini games. While they are nowhere near as bad as the torturous ones in FFX, they rewarded you with next to nothing for completing the longest hardest tasks possible. Hippaul, skipping, cards etc. all had no real rewards. Then of course there's the Excalibur II, which not only denies people having a perfect save game, it also means the rest of the game has to be way to simplistic.

Jesus
04-09-2003, 01:48 AM
I say FFIX is the worst possible FF ever because of the graphics the speech and especially the clothes its also one of the easiest except the final boss but if you think about it its actully very easy as long as you can protect the status effects so all around its a bad game

Davis
04-09-2003, 02:08 AM
:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: a papa doc, IX is great, graphics: it's PS, Cloths: old fastion, good looking, and the spech is great (ooh, soft!)

ChibiInuYasha
04-09-2003, 04:11 AM
I for one could never choose a fav. FF but I really loved IX! It was so lively and upbeat compared to the previous 2 installments and theme is just awsome (Life) Most people rant and rant about how the final boss didn't fit in and was unexpected. Well, sure he was unexpected, but after seeing how each character realized their reason for living, what better than to face death itself? True art! ^.^

Psychotic
04-09-2003, 07:10 PM
FFIX is my second favourite FF game, but I admit there were some flaws, which Big D and Phoenix 17 covered.

I disagree with a couple of points though

Frequently poor, even childish dialogue which was predictable at times.
"H-hey, yo, whatcha gonna wanna do 'bout it? Gwa bwa mwa ha!" That kind of thing greatly decreased the impact and poignancy of the story. Slightly better English would've been a significant improvement.

Come on though, FF has been doing things like "Gwa bwa mwa ha!" for years. Good ole' X-Death in FFV with his "Fwahahaha" and who can forget Cait Sith's labelling of Heidigger and Scarlet in FFVII has "Gyahahaha" and "Kyahahaha" H-hey, yo, whatcha gonna wanna do 'bout it? is inexcusable though

* Zidane's attitude: his refusal to acknowledge the skill, intellect or authority of those in power. Most of the cast never learn that Regent Cid ordered Tantalus to abduct Garnet for her own safety. It's possible that even Zidane didn't know. Everyone except Cid, Artania and Garnet probably assumed that Tantalus was going to hold the princess for ransom, torturing or raping her to force Queen Brahne's compliance with their ransom demands. Abducting a young woman for personal gain is a completely abhorrent act, yet Zidane is still abusive and discourteous to those who try to protect what is right. He should've been greatful that Steiner or Amarant never gutted him on the spot for his 'crimes'.

So Zidane is selfish and arrogant at times, isn't everyone? He does acknowledge Steiner at one point, if I remember rightly, but even in that sentence I believe he still uses the phrase "Rusty" But that is just Square's way of trying to make Zidane out to be a 'Street Urchin'
and the Sacrifice he makes for Kuja at the end certainly does not fit with how he has been branded.

Now, I move on to Jesus's criticism.

say FFIX is the worst possible FF ever because of the graphics the speech and especially the clothes its also one of the easiest except the final boss but if you think about it its actully very easy as long as you can protect the status effects so all around its a bad game

First of all, try to include punctuation in your criticisms, as people will take it more seriously. The worst possible FF? You haven't played FFVIII, have you? As for the graphics being poor, just what are you talking about? they are the second best Graphics in the entire series! As for the speech, I think I covered my opinion on that above, and I pretty much agree with that. The Clothes? surely that isn't a thing to base a game on? OK, the clothes weren't all that good, but just look at some of the stuff in FFVIII and especially FFX. As for difficulty, I think it was fairly easy, although FFVIII and X were easier. There were some hard points - Oelivert with those evil mirror thingees(I can't remember their names!) was relatively hard. As for the final boss, I think he was a walkover, and a let down. I agree with the comment about status effects - I think that they did get inflicted on you a bit much, but I don't think they were a major problem. A bad game? OK, so that is your opinion, but in my opinion, I think we played different games.

MagicKnight Locke
04-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Davis
Who honestly can say Final Fantasy 9 isn't the best Final Fantasy???
I can,just watch

FFIX is not the best final fantasy

So there,i did it so thread answered.time for a new one

Davis
04-10-2003, 08:46 PM
I'ma *snip* you up!

Edit by Gau: Don't try to get around the swear filter.

Big D
04-11-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by locke lionheart
I can,just watch

FFIX is not the best final fantasy

So there,i did it so thread answered.time for a new one

*Grins mirthfully*

Besimudo
04-11-2003, 06:51 AM
LOL.

Strider
04-11-2003, 04:20 PM
FFIX definetly is NOT the best Final Fantasy. Neither is it the worst. Actually, I have yet to see a bad FF game. Personally, I liked FFVII, VIII, & X better than FFIX. FFIX was still good though. It did have good music, and I loved the Invincible. But character-wise, I thought it wsa lacking something. Still good though, just not the best.

Davis
04-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey, Strider is a cool name. Thats what I allways call Armarant in FFIX, Strider suits that character much better than Armarant, speaking of witch, I dont like to call Zidane Zidane, I call his Davis, along with any other main character in any RPG as long as their hair is Blond, and preferibly spiky

chappu
04-12-2003, 03:44 AM
FF9 isn't the best :D :D
I like 8 and 10 better (10 just a millimetre behind 8), but FF9 was great! It's that 7 that I do not like very much...But I'm madly in love with Medieval times so I felt right at home. And the peaceful atmosphere in the game is great too.

Phil
04-12-2003, 04:34 AM
now.....about that whole thing with ff9's graphics being bad......unlike ff7, the charachters in final fantasy nine have FINGERS. thats a key thing ya know....for like.....using weapons and pulling levers. and...oh yeah....people in ff9 have mouths.....

UltimaSepheroth
04-12-2003, 05:05 AM
hey!

they do so have mouthes in ff7!

look closley!

*hrmph!*

Blizzard
04-12-2003, 05:21 AM
FFIX is my favourite FF, followed by VIII, X & V. :luff<3:

Rude
04-12-2003, 10:37 PM
I just finished IX this morning and it surpasses FF7 in everyway except for character development.

Just my opinion though.

Heath
04-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by eestlinc
the main part where I think the game could have been improved is the whole four shrines deal. They should have made you fight through each and face the boss with two member parties. that would have been much cooler.

I would have found that insanely hard. My Eiko was about level 20. And having face Kraken with two white mages/summoners?
I wouldn't have minded facing Timat and I suppose that Malaris wouldn't have been too bad.
To be quite perfectly honest, I found Lich a pain because of a grossly underlevelled Quina.

Rude
04-13-2003, 02:24 PM
I was dissapointed with the shrines as well... at first at least. I found my retribution later on in Memoria when I got to fight all of my favorite FFI fiends once again.

LockeAndKey
05-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Howdy all. I'm new to this board.

I love FF9... I think its severly underrated. I'm not sure if it's my favorite but its definatley in the top... uh... few.

Kurohime
05-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Ooo... and FF9 critics thread. Heeheehee. How fun.

Well, it's probably not hard to tell that FF9 is my favorite of all the Final Fantasy games. In fact, it's my favorite video game... er... favorite "thing" I'm fawning over at this particular moment in time... but eh, that's beside the point.

I actually would have disagreed with Big D about the secondary character development... until I played FF7. That game surpassed FF9 hands-down in all-around development, but I thought that the three main characters of FF9 got much more sympathy and identity out of me than any of the characters in FF7 did.

Did that make any sense whatsoever? Ehehe...

Zidane's attitude: his refusal to acknowledge the skill, intellect or authority of those in power.

Actually, that attitude Zidane had is one of the things I adored about him. The fact is that Zidane is an outcast in society... he's an impish little creep... but why? He's a THIEF, he's someone who had to live off of his own wits and basically fend for himself a lot, even against his own "family." I know it's really not said in the story, but considering the way nobles treated him in Treno, I think Zidane's lack of respect is because, well, I don't think he really has a reason to show respect.

Zidane is still abusive and discourteous to those who try to protect what is right. He should've been greatful that Steiner or Amarant never gutted him on the spot for his 'crimes'.
Good point. But Zidane was ALSO doing what he believed was right. Was kidnapping the princess right? In his eyes, yes. As far as holding the princess for ransom... well, I don't know if Tantalus would be the kind of peope who would actually DO that. I actually didn't assume that they were kidnapping Garnet for twisted reasons like rape or torture. Sure, others might have thought they were scum and would assume that that was the reason Garnet had been kidnapped. But that wasn't the reason Tantalus was kidnaping her.

----

Ehehe... sorry, I know it looks like I'm picking on you since you're the only one I quoted, but I just had to comment on that. :) (I'm a Zidane freak... can't resist defending him... )

---

As far as the costume designs comment goes... er... Would it REALLY have looked as appropriate if Dagger was walking around in, say, Tifa's get-up? Considering that FF was set in a mideval world, I think the clothing was completely appropriate.

---

* Plot points: Eiko has been virtually alone for most of her short life. Yet she's still cocky and sure of herself, and is somehow able to recognise Dr Tot as a 'nerdy academic'. Actually... I'm not sure she was alone all that long. Her parents died shortly after she was born, but her grandpa raised her for several years. I think he may have only passed away as little as a year before the game. Only my opinion, though. ^_^

---

As far as what I DISLIKE about FF9? Gah... my opinion is really, really warped. I hated the fact that it ended at all!! XD Just kidding.

Trance system. Blagh. After getting sweeeeeet as hell limit break systems and overdrives, I started to hate trance. The only thing I like about it is that you can use it more than once per battle. But of course, given that I tend to powerhouse my team, I often only get to use once strike before the battle is over. Which sucks. :P

And the fact that a few plotlines did get so wonderfully interesting, only to be dropped like dead leaves until the very end, where they were wrapped up, somewhat satisfactorily. But some things, like Freya's story, and Eiko's story.... I wanted to have seen more of that. Especially Freya.

And the last thing that I really didn't like...

The fact that what's going on in my sig and avvie... never really happened.

My humble (although maybe the length of this post may seem to contradict that) opinion only... ^_^

PhoenixAsh
05-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Well it's an old thread, but any chance there is to put down FFIX...

Good point. But Zidane was ALSO doing what he believed was right. Was kidnapping the princess right? In his eyes, yes. As far as holding the princess for ransom... well, I don't know if Tantalus would be the kind of peope who would actually DO that. I actually didn't assume that they were kidnapping Garnet for twisted reasons like rape or torture. Sure, others might have thought they were scum and would assume that that was the reason Garnet had been kidnapped. But that wasn't the reason Tantalus was kidnaping her.

It wasn't the reason, but possibly Zidane, and certainly not Steiner had any idea about that.

As far as the costume designs comment goes... er... Would it REALLY have looked as appropriate if Dagger was walking around in, say, Tifa's get-up? Considering that FF was set in a mideval world, I think the clothing was completely appropriate.

You think Dagger wheres medieval clothes?

I only ever bothered to complete it once, but from what I remember the stuff going on in your sig DID happen in the game.

Kurohime
05-12-2003, 05:34 AM
I only ever bothered to complete it once, but from what I remember the stuff going on in your sig DID happen in the game.

Er... I'm talking about the kissing. That never happened.

PhoenixAsh
05-12-2003, 08:57 PM
*Resists temptation to react*
I thought the kiss did happen in the game.

Big D
05-13-2003, 12:27 AM
Nope, just a tearful hug. The kissing probably came later, though ;)

UltimaSepheroth
05-13-2003, 02:45 AM
i love final fantasy 7.

sephiroth is the greatest ever created.

there should be a massive superior statue of him with a mechanical sword that kill little birds and children under the age of 10! that would be fun... :evilking:

i ought to start work on that!

i am so out of touch with the whole damned hippy colony. :eek:

i need to visit them. :beer:

Phil
05-13-2003, 04:00 AM
Ultima s. you scare me more and more every day i see you.................................................. but good idea on the sephiroth thing. i gotta agree that sephy is the best villain out of all of them. Ff9 could have worked on that. Kuja and Garland just didnt have the same effect that Sephiroth did.

Misfit
05-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Yep. FFIX is a KEEPER! It's definetly my favorite FF! I loved all the characters (Well, it takes a lot for me actually not like a character........ the only FF character that I didn't like was Quistis. ~.~; ), I loved the story, I loved the rat and monkey people, and I loved Kuja's thong. What more could you ask for?

(*Notices Kurohime* Whoo! Go Quad 9 Dyne!! -Points to url in siggy-) ^___^

UltimaSepheroth
05-13-2003, 02:58 PM
i love final fantasy 9
its just that i love final fantasy 7 best
final fantasy 9 is right behind final fantasy 7

Yrkoon
05-14-2003, 02:28 AM
i can very easily say that i think ff9 is not the best ff game (sticking to original post :) )

imo ff6 an ff7 are far better tho i enjoyed playing through ff9 :)

Ferril Shadow
05-16-2003, 08:32 AM
I thought 9 was good, but I liked 8 better more for the story. I really got into the story for 8 while 9 was some what predictable. But I still like it as a matter of fact I am trying to do all the side quest and beat the game. I found hades toasted Necron< saved before I did. and even used Stiner. I usually use Aramat as my other physical guy, but stiner's shock single handedly beat necron. so that's my response.

P.S. I finally found a signature what do you all think.

Ethéré
06-08-2003, 06:30 AM
I say it isn't the best. It is the easiest Final Fantasy. You just breeze through. Don't get me wrong, I like it, it just doesn't really stick out in my mind. I'm just wondering how many Final Fantasys Davis has played. I did like, however, all of the allusions to earlier Final Fantasys in IX. Square kinda made IX on the rebound...everyone bashed VIII for being to "new" and "different", so they went as old school as possible. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, of course.;)

Rude
06-09-2003, 08:03 PM
IX is much more difficult than VII, with the exclusion of the optional bosses. It's just that the difficulty doesn't seem to kick in until disc 3 (I think is about right)

MagicKnight Locke
06-09-2003, 09:38 PM
i have yet to go through Memoria but i can already easily say that it is my 2nd favourite RPG&FF(sharing ff rank with ff6 and overall rank with ff6 and CT

PhoenixAsh
06-09-2003, 10:17 PM
IX is in no way more difficult than VII. It requires no though whatsoever, you have no choice about where to go for most of the game, and you have no real ability to decide what your characters can do. They each have a small, set amount of skills, which you can only learn at certain points in the game.

I have severe issues with X, but it still manages to outrank IX, leaving IX my worst FF.

Faris_the_guy
06-09-2003, 10:25 PM
I like all FFs

wins

Kuja's Baby Girl
06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
okay.... i thought the game was pretty good but i hated the ending (for all of you who beat it, you know what i am talking about).

Rude
06-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Actually, I've beaten and I have no clue what you are talking about.

m4tt
06-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kuja's Baby Girl
okay.... i thought the game was pretty good but i hated the ending (for all of you who beat it, you know what i am talking about).

Oh you mean when Garnet does that thing at the place with that guy? Oh man I hate that.

I like FFIX a lot, it's become my second favorite (behind FFVI). The characters were cool, and I liked the style. None of that futuristic non-sense, good old fashioned style.

PhoenixAsh
06-11-2003, 10:09 PM
I really don't get the whole love of old style games, to me it sounds the same as comparing games based on graphics.
The characters sucked apart from Dagger and Vivi (maybe Steiner) IMO, the battle system required no thought, and the mini-games were pointless other than the Chocobos (which are nothing to FFVII's). Add on to that they made the game easy so you could get a sword that would completely waste the rest of your game making a perfect save impossible.

Sapphire
06-11-2003, 11:23 PM
For every mountain, there is always another higher. (or something like that) To me now FFIX is the best game, but there will always be better created in time to come.. better graphics, better plot, better gameplay etcetc. No game's perfect. :)

PhoenixAsh
06-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Deep as that may be it's not neccessarily true. Look at FFX. While I thought it was better than IX it was nowhere near as improved as the PS2 should have allowed it to be.
I actually think the games have gone downhill recently, VII was fantastic, as was VIII, then people started moaning about the new ideas being introduced (God forbid) and Square backpeddled, badly.
Then of course Microsoft could buy everything to do with everything and we'll all be stuck playing first person shooters online for the rest of our lives.

black orb
06-12-2003, 04:07 AM
>>> FF9 is the best, for play station..

Kuja124
06-13-2003, 12:23 AM
I really like this game. It has the most in depth story in my opinion. It also has the best characters. To me Zidane is what I wanted Squall to be like. TO me Squall was way to depressing. Zidane on the other hand ways always there and ready to help the people he loved.

He ways also always trying to get people to see past who they were. In example of this is with Steiner.

I also liked how he woudl do anything to help Vivi find out about who he was. I have played this FF game more then any other FF game.

Liquid Glass
06-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Nope, just a tearful hug. The kissing probably came later, though

:D I get you there! :D

...garnet...and raping and torturing her.

*Sees garnet in a chair, tied up and brusied...* Oh! OH! They should have had Kuja and his guys kidnap her for a while and do that! Then she could come back with 1 hp and be shaking badly. Then only hints and context clues would give away what had happened. That would power people to want to kick Kuja's ass, or if they hated her, give him a hi-5. :D

Demitri_Maximov
06-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I didn't think FFIX was the best of the Final Fantasy games. I thought it was average game in the Final Fantasy genre. I loved the story and I have to admit, I was whistling final song of the game for quite a while. Also, I liked the hidden blackjack game at the end of the game, but that's beside the point. I loved FFVII more than any other game. VI was good too, but I loved VII. VIII was a very fun game, but I don't think it belonged with the other Final Fantasy games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII, but I didn't like the change in equipment, abilities, stats, etc., etc. Not to mention I didn't like the personalities of a few characters and to me, the plot of the game was somewhat...lacking. FFIX is one of the best games overall, but only average compared to the other Final Fantasy for a few reasons. Maybe it was just because I was about 10 levels ahead of where I was supposed to be the whole game, but I found this game extremely easy. I didn't die once the whole game. I beat Kuja and all of the bosses, including Necron without using healers. In fact, none of my characters died in the fight against Trance Kuja or Necron, even with Kuja casting...shit...what was it? Something flare every turn. He casts that ever turn if Zidane is a higher level than him when you get to him, otherwise he uses his normal spells. Anyways, I had ever skill, all but a few abilities, and almost every weapon (Excluding Excalibur II), and it seemed way too easy. At least in Final Fantasy VII I died every now and then. Hell, where is the Omega Weapon, Ruby Weapon, and Emerald Weapon. We get Hades, who dies extremely quickly if your guys are level 70 or higher, and Ozma (a friggin sphere). Sure, Ozma is hard to kill, but all the Weapons were so much cooler to fight. I didn't dislike the fact that you had to have weapons on for the abilities to work until you get enough AP (at least it's better than FFX's sphere system......GOD I HATED THAT GAME), but let's just say it wasn't my favorite aspect either. I did love the story, but there are too many flat characters. Amarant had such potential, but he only has a few dialogues in which it always seems the same. He can't understand why Zidane helps people who haven't done anything for him or stuff like that. His past is just grazed when he talks about how his whole life, fighting is the only way that he's been able to get by, and when he mentions his parents quickly before Zidane goes to meet Garland. Freya too is subjected to this lack of info. You know that she and Zidane are friends, she is in love with that other...rat person, he doesn't remember her, she's crushed, she wants to help Zidane.....but what else? She's still in the group after disk 1 and 2, but those are the only 2 disks that she is somewhat important or talked about. Vivi is gone in depth with. Hell, we see all the other black mages and they have their own damn town that you can go to and they play a part in the story (equipment-wise). Freya's towns are either blown to bits, or are attacked and are filled with weak enemies after that. Also, it has been mentioned before, but some of the characters just don't fit in. Zidane...alright the tail is understandable. It could happen. I liked the look of Amarant, even with the completely pale skin. Garnet looks normal (o.-), Eiko has the horn thing going on. At least they all resemble humans here. But then there is Quina. I have to say, that is one of the stupidest characters I have ever seen. Not to mention the random damage doesn't make up for his/her/it's looks and cajun-style speech. I'm kinda tired, so I'm not going to go more into this. I don't think FFIX was terrible. Just not my favorite. Left too many loose ends for me at the end. I did like playing the game. Hell, after I beat the game, I went back to the last save and I now have over 130 hours on the game and my characters are all almost level 99. The side quests are fun, the main story is fun, and hell, I'll admit that the eidolon scenes are completely bad ass, but the characters are what I have the biggest problem with.

playaGAW
06-14-2003, 12:22 AM
I've played all the FFs except 3 and 10(which I will probaly play soon). I have beaten 4 of them and am at the end in the rest of them except 1&2(even though I got Origins the day it came out).FF6 is the best 9 is the second best. It might have been the best if it was more in-depth with the story or let you expl;ore more. I always wanted to see a world map of Terra.

Christmas
05-21-2022, 11:20 AM
Quite a handful that said that but I am getting Quina eat them. :quina: