PDA

View Full Version : cards

thelynchpin
04-04-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm not the greatest lover of FF8, and I don't think there are many plotlies to go into dept about like FF7, BUT there are some nevertheless in 8.

For example, cards. I like the card game on FF8 - it gives an average game some added entertainment (as it does on FF9). But, there's a few things I don't undestand about them. Firstly, how were they created? They are clearly magical as they can be modified to give items. And there's an infinite number of them up until you get to level 8 I think (maybe 7 - I dunno). But what really gets me is that if they're universal in the world on FF8, then how are the best cards conveniently named after the main characters Edea, Squall, Seifer, etc.? I know it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, and doesn't effect the storyline whatsoever, but I just wondered if anyone had any theories?

Also, while I'm on about the subject of cards, I like the idea of that game on FF9, where the same cards can have different attributes. Which of the games does everyone else prefer? FF8 card game or the FF9 one?

Zifnab
04-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Card's can't fight. Therefore I like FF8's idea better, as it's realistic and could be made into an actual card game.
It's just one of those things that you shouldn't think about too much, like flying to the north pole and appearing at the south etc.

Prodigy
04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
I thought that the card game in 8 was fantastic. Much better than 9s (although it was still fun in 9).

I really think you're reading too much into it though. It doesn't need to make sense and follow on and all tie together nicely.

It's a Japanese trait I think you'll find - they just love zany and quirky fun things like this. Take monkey ball - absolutely pure and simple yet so brilliant. Cards is simple and yet addictive and entertaining. It's the Japanese way of adding a bit of light relief into the game and it's definately appreciated.

I doubt Square really cared how the cards fitted into the whole scheme of things.

razor248725
04-10-2003, 09:00 AM
ff8 of course. ff9's card game is laughable, i mean fighting cards?!?!i wonder if anyone printed out all the ff8 cards and played real life games with 'em??

Mo-Nercy
04-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Jenova·Rebirth

It's just one of those things that you shouldn't think about too much, like flying to the north pole and appearing at the south etc.

Yeah, FF worlds are rectangular. You go through the west, you pop out in the east, you go north, you appear in the south and so forth.

Try this, take a rectangular piece of paper (to represent the FF world), join the top and bottom to make a cylinder then join the sides. Now you'll see that you have a very wonky donut shaped world.

Uh..yea, don't think about it so much like I did, you'll get some weird looks when you tell people.

Oh, and Triple Triad is a ga-zillion times better than Tetra Master.

Kimera 726
04-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Al Bhed³
Oh, and Triple Triad is a ga-zillion times better than Tetra Master.

roger that :eep:

sub~zero
04-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Man, I played all the way to the end of FF 9 and I cant even remember that there was a card game. Either its been too long since I played it, the card game really sucked, or the game in general musta been bad enough that it made me just forget. But that said, even though I dont really remember FF9s game I do know that FF8s card game is awesome.

Dazlar Bynon
04-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I aways thought of the cards as the life-forceof the creature, this would explain the card command. if you defeat a creatue they make a last efford to save themselves whitch almost always fails.
The rare cards however are a totally different story, these must 'share' energy with the subject, making them more powerfull then the others. How they came to be is a mystery... (not everything must have an explanation) :mad:

Blackmage
04-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I just thought the card game really has nothing to do with the world of FF8; it was just inserted to give players a sidequest-y thing to follow. Just food for thought.

And yes, Triple Triad is SO much better than Tetra Master. The main reason for the difference is Card Modding; FF8 you can, 9 you can't. That, and FF8's game is so much easier to play than FF9's (Until you get into determining those stinkin' Combos that just seem to pop out of nowhere, resulting in you getting your ass kicked.).

chappu
04-17-2003, 03:10 PM
I thought that players can make their cards, therefore people's parents hold their children's cards. And the ones you win from diff. people, well, maybe the person who made the card lost it to someone, but really, i dont think about it much :P

PS: Triple Triad kiks Tetra Masters ass! btw there is a computer version of Triple Triad, check out my Triple Triad Gold thread for details, you can verse others online :P