PDA

View Full Version : I'm making a Strategy RPG

Mazerall
04-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Hello again all. I'd just like to update everyone who remembers me. I'm going through with the Strategy RPG my company's making and right now we're looking to get a good feel for what you guys want in your strategy RPGs. Anyone who can, FILL out this survey. If you dont want your name known, e-mail it to LordTarant@aol.com. Basically, we want to know your preferences and here's your chance to see a game made the way YOU want it to. The demo's set to be released this September and we're making the final adjustments in the game engine now. Thanks, and it's real short!

Brian

Turn-Based Strategy Game Survey

Please rank the following attributes in order of importance when deciding on purchasing a turn-based strategy game (1=Most Important, 5=Least Important):
____ - Story and characters
____ - Battle engine complexity and flexibility
____ - Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)
____ - Graphics
____ - Music and sound effects

Please pick the 2 best of the following choices that you would want most to see in a turn-based strategy game:
____ - Competitive online play
____ - Competitive offline play
____ - Complete branching paths in the game
____ - Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game
____ - Multiple levels of difficulty with different prizes/secrets unlocked on each level

Of the following two choices please indicate which would you rather have:
A) A party of self-made, personality-less characters but ultimate flexibility in choice of class
B) A party of full vibrant personalities and characters but with only a few sets or branches to choose from to grow them

A) A party of about 12 characters to control
B) A party of about 6 characters to control

A) Every character having almost identical stats but the ability to grow them anyway
B) Each character having pros and cons and classes designed towards enhancing that character’s personality

Are there any options that you like or wish that every turn-based strategy game you’ve played should be required have? (such as text speed option, in-game battle save, turn-list, tutorial, etc.)

chadmonkey
04-07-2003, 03:53 PM

Please rank the following attributes in order of importance when deciding on purchasing a turn-based strategy game (1=Most Important, 5=Least Important):
1) Story and characters
2) Battle engine complexity and flexibility
3) Music and sound effects
4) Graphics
5) Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)

Please pick the 2 best of the following choices that you would want most to see in a turn-based strategy game:
1) Multiple levels of difficulty with different prizes/secrets unlocked on each level
2) Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game

A) A party of self-made, personality-less characters but ultimate flexibility in choice of class

B) Each character having pros and cons and classes designed towards enhancing that character’s personality

Are there any options that you like or wish that every turn-based strategy game you’ve played should be required have? (such as text speed option, in-game battle save, turn-list, tutorial, etc.)
Colorful lively graphics.

mackstann
04-09-2003, 06:53 AM

1 - Story and characters
4 - Battle engine complexity and flexibility
5 - Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)
3 - Graphics
2 - Music and sound effects

5 - Competitive online play
3 - Competitive offline play
1 - Complete branching paths in the game
2 - Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game
4 - Multiple levels of difficulty with different prizes/secrets unlocked on each level

B) A party of full vibrant personalities and characters but with only a few sets or branches to choose from to grow them

B.

B. 7 or 8 would be cool but 12 seems like too many.

A) Every character having almost identical stats but the ability to grow them anyway

B.

Definitely text speed adjustment.

In-battle save I *think* would be cool, but it may ruin things by making it too easy to just be in a battle forever and gain insane stats.

Button remapping is important!

Most of all, the thing I find that's most important in games to me is that they create an atmosphere that sucks you in and makes you truly feel like you're in a different place. Music and sound is a huge part of that, so are graphics. FFT, saga frontier 2, and xenogears are probably the best games at doing this that I've played. For example, SF2 has a pretty crappy story but the sound and graphics are so pleasing that it is one of my favorite games. The environments created in the game are so memorable that they actually make the story seem ok. With bad graphics and sound, I would have probably hated that game.

JuREXic5
04-10-2003, 10:46 AM

1 - Story and characters
2 - Battle engine complexity and flexibility
5 - Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)
3 - Graphics
4 - Music and sound effects
(IMO Theyre all pretty important)

____ - Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game

B) A party of full vibrant personalities and characters but with only a few sets or branches to choose from to grow them (Both options were good)

The ability to skip all dialogue by pressing the start button :D.

NinJack
04-11-2003, 12:25 AM

1- Story and characters
1 and then some - Battle engine complexity and flexibility
3, but still important- Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)
2(Really a one but I put 2 to show I am open to different styles.)- Graphics
2(same as above)- Music and sound effects

Many of these would be great so I'll just rate them.
5 - Competitive online play
2- Competitive offline play
1- Complete branching paths in the game
1- Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game
1- Multiple levels of difficulty with different prizes/secrets unlocked on each level

Rather a mix of both choices.

Either option. However a1 is best with a2 same for the b options.

A mixed setup is best in my opinion

Again,Same as before really.

Tutorial is a must. Actually all are musts, but a tutorial is the most important.

Mazerall
04-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks filling out the survey. If anyone else is still reading this thread, keep 'em coming!

Mattokenzi
05-11-2003, 07:32 PM
(1=Most Important, 5=Least Important):
1 - Story and characters
4 - Battle engine complexity and flexibility
2 - Graphics
3 - Music and sound effects

____ - Multiple levels of difficulty with different prizes/secrets unlocked on each level

Are there any options that you like or wish that every turn-based strategy game you’ve played should be required have? (such as text speed option, in-game battle save, turn-list, tutorial, etc.) tutorial and turn list

Enigma
05-12-2003, 11:39 PM

(1=Most Important, 5=Least Important):
1 - Story and characters
1- Battle engine complexity and flexibility
3- Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)
4 - Graphics
1- Music and sound effects

I haven't played much stragety games but...
Tutorial and if possible, profiles for each character. Text speed adjustment and ability to change jobs during battle.

Mehka Gallant
12-27-2003, 05:32 PM

1- Story and characters
2- Battle engine complexity and flexibility
4 - Graphics
3- Music and sound effects

2- Competitive online play
1- Competitive offline play
3- Complete branching paths in the game
4- Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game
5- Multiple levels of difficulty with different prizes/secrets unlocked on each level

B) A party of full vibrant personalities and characters but with only a few sets or branches to choose from to grow them (This One)

A) A party of about 12 characters to control (This One)

B) Each character having pros and cons and classes designed towards enhancing that character’s personality (This One)

(Turn List and Tutorial Definitely.)

(Where can I get a demo?)

Edgar
12-28-2003, 04:35 PM

1- Story and characters
2- Battle engine complexity and flexibility
5- Options available (in-battle save, text speed adjustment, rename characters, etc.)
4- Graphics
3- Music and sound effects (Sorry, I'm a music lover)

____ - Branching paths that link back up after a couple battles in the game (Can't decide much on this)

A) A party of self-made, personality-less characters but ultimate flexibility in choice of class (This, but maybe add a 'make your own background' feature like IWD?)

A) A party of about 12 characters to control (If out of battle, this one)
B) A party of about 6 characters to control (If in battle, this one)

A) Every character having almost identical stats but the ability to grow them anyway (Can't decide)
B) Each character having pros and cons and classes designed towards enhancing that character’s personality (Can't decide)

Everything FFT have I guess...