PDA

View Full Version : Do FF's share a world?

Besimudo
04-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Ok Here goes

The order of the later ff's can be roughly determined

ff7
ff9
ff8
ff10 ?

Now, in ff9 there is a place called Tifa on the intro map and also a villager describes a legendary hero with blond spiky hair, who wielded a great sword (cloud)
In ff8, the tutorial shows an old wizard the inventor of the card game, who shows remarkable resemblances to vivi (ff9).

This hypothesis supposes that all ff's are on the same world, the evidence for this is in the games. After FF7 ends we see a primordial world...which requires dramatic rebuilding. FF9 is a medieval world perhaps 1000 years after ff7. Then ff8 must follow ff9 due to the card reference and the apparent rebirth of technological culture.

The most solid evidence is for ff7 then ff9 followed by ff8. However, when would ff10 occur? Perhaps it follow FF8 as the Al Bhed ships components show similar design elements to ff8's garden. This factor alone is very weak...yet I doubt that ff10 would occur all the way before ff7, as this would be the only other chronological possibility.

Oh and if you believe that ff's occur in different worlds then how did a lowly villager in ff9's Ludlum speak of a legendary warrior with blond spiky hair and a large sword........explain that sceptics.

Rostum
04-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Play the older classics (FF1 - FF2)

You will notice that Vivi is a black mage, which were in them classic games. The worlds are not linked, seeing as the continents are shaped and spread differently, Square had only put these references in the games to remind the hardcore fans of the other games. I am being serious here, it's fact not scepticism.

FF9 was the odd one of the newer FF games, seeing as it had alot of references to the older FF games, "Going back to the roots" as people have refered it.

On FF2 (or 1? correct me if I'm wrong), the world is called Gaia, which so happens that it's also called that on FF9, meaning it's going back to that reference thing. All the other FF's (correct me if I'm wrong again) do not tell you whether there is a name for their world, except that of FF10 (which is Spira).

All in all, I just believe that Square were not intending to connect the worlds as such, but only the games in a sense. This sense being refered to the older games of the series, just to give the hardcore fans some spice.

If a FF game were to be linked with another, it would have to be FF2 and FF9, seeing as the worlds are the same name, and there are a lot more references between the two then the other ff's... (job system, world name, etc.) (sorry i know theres more but i cant think properly at the moment).

Anyways, that's just my opinion, so don't go off at me for it. I do believe this should be in the General FF Forum, seeing as it isn't JUST refering to FF8?

Big D
04-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Now, in ff9 there is a place called Tifa on the intro map and also a villager describes a legendary hero with blond spiky hair, who wielded a great sword (cloud)

Actually, the place is 'Iifa', the cursive 'I' looks a little like a 'T'. No-one actually refers to Cloud, the legendary hero... Zidane simply says that he remembers a 'guy who used a sword like this' when he examines a large-ish sword in the Lindblum shop.

There are superficial similarities between the geography and cultures in the games; these have more to do with gameplay necessity than with global 'rebirth'.

The systems of 'magic' and 'life energy' are too different in each FF for them to originate in the same world. FFVI's Espers are magical beings who decay into 'Magicite' crystals upon death; Materia, however, form from the very energy of life itself, coursing beneath the planet's surface. FFVIII's para-magic and Guardian Forces are different again; and then there's FFIX's Mist and Eidolons. They're just slightly too different to be compatible.

Now, it's possible that the FFs share a world - after all, FFVI's world recovered from the War of the Magi, proving that global disaster and rebirth can occur; then there's the aeroplane in the Bone Village excavation site in FFVII, and the Centra shelters in FFVIII, suggesting a long-gone, more advanced culture.
But then, what's the point in all of the FFs taking place on the same world? There's so much evidence against it. If it were true, then it could be taken as a 'message' that progress is futile and self-defeating, that people are going to make the same mistakes and continue to annihilate each other in the quest for 'ultimate power'. This isn't something I'd like to believe...

As for the references in FFIX, it's as Mojo Pin said: merely tributes to amuse the fans.

Mo-Nercy
04-09-2003, 12:11 PM
The world that seem most alik, geographically that is, are probably the nameless worlds of FFVII and FFVIII.

I can't help but notice that the desert in FFVII is roughly in the same location of the desert in FFVIII. Or the Great Salt Lake which is somewhere in the area of the Midgar Marshes.

Actually, they're just stupid observations. I don't really believe that the worlds are linked in any way shape or form.

Burtsplurt
04-09-2003, 12:41 PM
FFIX included references to most (all?) Final Fantasy games. It was a nostalgia trip. Maybe the designers sensed the passing of an era (from the old-style FFs to the FFVIII/FFX style) and decided to give something back to the fans. They considered not releasing FFIX as one of the numbered titles because of this. I don't think it's possible to suggest that all FFs were in the same world purely because of FFIX. The makers were just trying to give something back to the fans who had stuck with the series over all those years.

Oh, and Vivi loks like just about every other black mage ever, so maybe FFI etc. are all set in the same world. Or not.

neeber
04-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Besimudo

Now, in ff9 there is a place called Tifa on the intro map....

As far as i could tell with the font in FF9, it is not called Tifa Tree but Iifa Tree.

chadmonkey
04-09-2003, 04:18 PM
If you're looking for a link between FFVIII and FFX, perhaps you could say that FFVIII is in a technological revolution, and that Zanarkand(which is much more evolved than FFVIII, or at least it seems it from the 10 minute look you get of it) is the height of this evolved civilization. Then, as the story goes in FFX, Sin attacks and it all goes downhill from there.

But my personal opinion is that they aren't linked. If the developers designed the games so that one was truely a sequel of the other, then it would leave people out that didn't play the earlier FFs, thus hurting the company's sales(they are a business after all). I think that this could be why Square is developing FFX-2 now, as they had enough people buy and enjoy FFX that they feel comfortable releasing a sequel that relates to the original.

Although I think it is possible to make games that are sequels and directly related(Dragon Warrior/Quest I-III for example), without leaving a player that comes into the series halfway through in the cold.

Also, as mentioned before, I think that the developers put references in about the other games in the series for those that have played the series to give them warm fuzzies, whether they be recurring characters(Cid, Moogles, Chocobos, Black Mages), a theme(Crystals, elemetal magics) or even hidden "Easter Eggs"(Cloud in FFT).

Prodigy
04-10-2003, 12:28 AM
No offence but didn't you start a post about FF games and intelligence?

Surely then you'd know that FF games contain passing references to others just as a Square joke. Same applies for the names - Wedge & Biggs, Cid etc.

To think that they are all in the same world...well...no.

Erdrick Holmes
04-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Every FF is an alternate universe, exept for FFX and FFX-2.

Besimudo
04-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Well the geographical features tend to be artistically inspired rather than scientifically. Most of the igneous mountain ranges are the result of colliding continents yet in the ff world/s the mountains are freely drawn where the artist pleases. Phantasy star was based in the same star system (yes that’s right I am a reformed Genesis player), but then again location is not as important as story for the ff's.

Rostum
04-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Does it matter if they are connected or not? Not for me it doesn't, I enjoy the game rather than make questions that I don't need to know.

m4tt
04-10-2003, 04:19 AM
*boots to General FF*

Grimaldos
04-10-2003, 09:34 AM
They aren't linked, the maps look completely different. It would took millions of years to make such drastic changes. In a period of 1000 years the map wouldn't change at all. The references to other FFs are just a tradition of Square.

DJZen
04-11-2003, 07:49 AM
I'm gonna agree with Mojo Pin here. This question will probably NEVER have an answer. You could always argue that the world of FF9 and 10 are named differently, but hey, The English name for the country "Deutchland" is "Germany", and in Spanish it's "Alemaña". Names for places can and will change as civilizations rise and fall. While it would take æons for geography to change that much, remember two things: A) magic B) who's to say that much time HASN'T passed? I say that it is possible that the games take place on the same world, but there is nothing conrete either way. Unless of course Sakaguchi cares to comment....

Psychotic
04-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Just an interesting thought

Zozo in FFVI.

Eternal Rain, completetly run down, a town with random encounters.

Jidoor in FFVI.

A Town where there are massive class divides, and an auction.

Burmercia in FFIX.

Eternal Rain, completetly run down, a town with random encounters.

Treno in FFIX.

A Town where there are massive class divides, and an auction.

chadmonkey
04-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Here's another spin on the sharing worlds, themes, characters, classes, etc... idea:
Maybe the designers and develpers were too lazy to come up with new ideas?

Alvin Strife
04-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Grimaldos
They aren't linked, the maps look completely different. It would took millions of years to make such drastic changes. In a period of 1000 years the map wouldn't change at all. The references to other FFs are just a tradition of Square.

heh, you do realize these games are called final FANTASY don't you? (j/k)

i also enjoy the wedge and biggs appearances across this series

*cheers*

-Alvin Strife

Dazlar Bynon
04-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Time has a biginning and an end...
After the end there's a NEW beginning...
Some things happen the same, and some don't...
Not even the total length of time has to be the same...
Every line of time can be called a reality...
Even this one could belong in there...

So every FF could be on the same world, the reality doesn't have to be the same though.

playaGAW
04-19-2003, 07:29 PM
In 4 Fusoya said it was on Earth. I know 6 couldn't be on the same planet as the other FFs because the world is square. I think Terra in 9 might have been the planet in since the Terrans went to sleep because the planet was dying. Maybe they're the Lunarians from 4. They went to sleep.

ChibiInuYasha
04-20-2003, 05:34 AM
The only FF worlds I think might be the same is I and IX, much information points to yes...more than the others