PDA

View Full Version : have i come upon a really bad glitch???

Numisma
04-09-2003, 09:29 AM
please help me.

i just got the Highwind, and i took it straight from Junon over to Wutai. i saved at the save point in Wutai, and this was the first time i'd ever been there (i never got Yuffie). but now, whenever i try to leave, and take the Highwind elsewhere, it looks like no matter which direction i go in, there are black barriers that close in on me after 10-15 seconds of flying, and the screen darkens. it goes all black, and then i hear a null buzzer go off every once in a while. on the black screen i see a grey box w/ a flashing red question mark that sometimes disappears.

i have restarted this f***ing game about 10 times from the save point, and i can't get very far without this happening to me every single time. is there some wierd-ass glitch in the game that cannot be fixed? is there something wrong with my copy of FF7 on disc 2? can anyone help me? has this happened to anyone else? do i have to start my game all over again?

if i DO have to start all over again, i'ma be piss-angry cuz i've already spent 30-something hours to get this far. grrrrrrr.....

o_O
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Wow, that's weird. Does this 'glitch' only happen when you're flying the Highwind? You could try leaving Wutai and saving on the world map, or creating a new file, then loading from that.

EDIT: Are you using a gameshark?

Numisma
04-09-2003, 10:04 AM
it happens in midair while i'm flying the Highwind. i didn't think about saving on the world map, though. i will try that. if i still get the same error, i will post about it here.

ah, if only i could videotape the passage so people could see exactly what happens. it's so wierd.... you really need to see it to understand how frustrated it makes me. and, this is the first time i've ever played the game, too.

and no, i'm not using a GameShark.

Big D
04-09-2003, 10:20 AM
no matter which direction i go in, there are black barriers that close in on me after 10-15 seconds of flying, and the screen darkens
This sounds remarkably similar to what happens when I pop open the disc cover whilst in the Highwind... since the disc's not being read, the area of available world map becomes smaller.

Perhaps something is preventing your PS from reading the disc at the proper speed?

Numisma
04-09-2003, 10:26 AM
but the game just freezes...... no matter what buttons i press, nothing will happen, and all i can do is hit the reset button *annoyed with game*

well, if worst comes to worst, i can take the game back to EB Games and get a replacement copy. i bought the game and a PSX used last Thursday, and the game is returnable/replaceable if i bring it back within 14 days.

Burtsplurt
04-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Do you know anyone else who has FFVII? That way you could check if it's your disc or the PSX that's broken.

Raistlin
04-09-2003, 03:02 PM
What disk are you on?

I heard a rumor about a glitch which was something about being on the third disk, and then going to Wutai without getting Yuffie, and you'll be unable to continue and forced to restart the entire game. I thought it was just a rumor, though, so I didn't pay it much attention.

Shoyku
04-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Well, if what Raistlin said is true, I feel sorry for you, Numisma.

Numisma
04-10-2003, 05:38 AM
i'm on disc 2. anyway, after i posted on here about my problem, i went back to the game, only to notice that i had just left the game as is (rather than restarting), and sometime in between when i left the game to go online and when i came back, the correct screen was on (the Highwind in midair not far from Wutai).... wierd...

i'm going to guess it was what Big D said, that the console was reading the disc a lil slowly or something. so, things are fine, and i am glad i did NOT just start a whole new game over (plus, i ran into Yuffie near Mideel, so she's in my party now. whee!).

thanks! :love:

Rostum
04-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Numisma
...PSX used last Thursday...

There's your problem, a used PSX, if the game takes longer than it should to load, it's just the PSX's fault. It happened with my PSX, cept no games loaded past the "Sony Playstation" screen. It was unfixable!

Anyways, good luck!

Numisma
04-10-2003, 08:28 AM
well, i have a six-month warranty on it. it was a used and refurbished PSX console. EB Games was having a special deal: get a used and refurbished N64, PSX, or DreamCast for $29.99, and they'll throw in a free used game w/ a marked price not exceeding $14.99 ... and it was $6 for an extended warranty on the console. so if there are further problems, i can get some kind of reimbursement. whee.

meh... i'm too cheap to get a PS2 or even a PSX brand new.

but that was the only time when i ever had any problems with the game. no problems until more than 30 hours into the game...

zacks_clone
04-11-2003, 02:35 AM
I heard a rumor about a glitch which was something about being on the third disk, and then going to Wutai without getting Yuffie, and you'll be unable to continue and forced to restart the entire game. I thought it was just a rumor, though, so I didn't pay it much attention.

I really dont think that is true.Maybe for some people or disks,but not me.I went to Wutai without yuffie on disk 3.I could leave.I beat the game a week later,when i went to play again.I got yuffie near the time i was about to go into the crater to Sephiroth

muchacho
04-22-2003, 02:15 AM
[SB]. It happened with my PSX, cept no games loaded past the "Sony Playstation" screen. !

your going to laugh when you here this but i had the same thing happen to me. so what i did was turn the PSX upside down and started playing, now it works wonders. dont ask me how i herd this but it works.

Shoeberto
04-22-2003, 02:50 AM
The read-error thing is caused by the fact that the CD lense, after so much use, begins to burn out, so flipping the PSX on its side makes the beam go through a different part of the lense, making it read correctly. I have to prop up my PSX in order to get it to play a lot of games, and sometimes even have to tilt it completely vertically so it'll load.

muchacho
04-22-2003, 02:52 AM
yeah thats it.....

Big D
04-22-2003, 06:28 AM
I'm having identical loading problems with my PSX at the moment. Some games work fine now and then, others hardly ever. Usually, there'll be long, noisy load periods; coupled with frequent crashes. Pain in the butt. Oftentimes, nothing happens when the power's switched on: the memory card/CD player screen appears, even though there's a disc in the console.
Can this kind of fault be serviced/repaired?

muchacho
04-22-2003, 01:29 PM
im telling you, just turn the PSX upsidedown. it works wonders

Paine6969
05-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Well i will be really mad if i have to restart my game from the beinging cause im on disk 3 with yuffie but i havent ran into any problems yet....yet

Yrkoon
05-14-2003, 01:04 AM
sounds like the laser lens is screwed on the playstation or that part of the disc is damaged (the copy of ff7 i was playing had a totally screwed second disc took me about half an hour to clean it off an minimize the scratches an that was on a screwed ps1.... most probly lasrer lens giving ya trouble :(

fallen_cloud
05-14-2003, 03:26 PM
I made it through the game without anything weird happening to me.

w00t lucky me.

Dark Knight2003
05-18-2003, 09:10 PM
hmmm most likeley its the used psx i bought me a ps ONE the new smaller kind of psx..im also to cheap for a PS2 and i had a glitch in the gi cave where after i killed a boss or enemy it automaticly replay the battle as it have never happend when i killed it..wierd

Sin Harvest
05-22-2003, 04:51 AM
ehehe, i thought i was the only one who turned my playstation upside down, though i've found sideways works a little better.
and with glitches like that, try playing on another disk, the entire game is written on every disk except for the fmv's. i remember that my disk one got scratched and on my way to junon if i got into a battle it would freeze at the exp screen thing, so i put in disk 2 and went to junon and the battles and everything were fine.

Advent Child
05-23-2003, 11:18 PM
well it's clear you should have taken the dreamcast.