PDA

View Full Version : FF: Origins translations

DCI Superfan
04-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Okay, I got the game now, and.... seriously, are these translations supposed to be MORE accurate? Some of these are really... I mean, I don't see how they got some of these.

Wizard -> Piscodemon
Herb -> Jolt Tonic
Harm, Hrm2, etc. -> Dia 1, Dia 2
Coneria -> Cornelia
OddEye -> Goggler

I'm about to get the mystic key... let's see what THAT'S called..... oh.. okay, it's still mystic key.

Anyway... So far the game is every bit as good as the original, gameplay wise, but with almost EVERYTHING having a different name, it's like... I dunno... it's like it's missing so much that made it such a memorable game in the first place.

DCI Forever!!

Mr. Graves
04-12-2003, 03:54 PM
I know the feeling. I find myself still calling the ToF the same things, although its been renamed the Temple of Choas. I also called the "Dia" spells Harm too. The games stil the same, the translation is a little different.

I think this new translation is better overall, though.

FF2 is even more different from the Translated ROMs.

Morgan
04-12-2003, 09:47 PM
most of the original FF1 names come from DnD.... the Piscodeamons had tentacled faces so they named one of the monsters after them...

Super Christ
04-12-2003, 10:26 PM
I caught this while I was gonig through - most of the monster names, while I knew were changed, I didn't care since I couldnt really remember the original. Although I did prefer Imps over Goblins or whatever they're called in origins. And I did prefer Corneria over Cornelia. I'll list all the name changes of locations and people I can think of.

Corneria -> Cornelia
Lukahn -> Lukin
Temple of Fiends -> Temple of Chaos
Elfland -> Elfheim (This one was an improvement, I think.)
Kary -> Marilith (I think)

I know they renamed Mt. Gurgu something. I can't remember what though. But as you were wondering, the Mystic Key is still the Mystic Key. And Dr. Unne is still Dr. Unne. (Actually, you'd be suprised how much the same the two are - I used the maps on Unne's site from the NES version to help me through this one.)

DJZen
04-13-2003, 12:57 AM
most of the "changes" aren't changes, but corrections. The original name for Kary WAS Marilith. The original name for Wizard WAS Piscodemon. The original name of Harm WAS Dia. I'm glad about some of them actually, since they're not censored, and I loathe censorship.

Fade->Holy
RedBone->Bloody Bone
Zap!->Death

etc. I think some of the graphics are slightly racier too...

Psychotic
04-13-2003, 04:34 PM
This is modifications from translated FF2 ROMs

Frioniel > Firion
Maria = same
Guy > Gus
Leonheart > Leon
Ming-Wu - Mindu
Richard > Gareth
Raila > Leila
Atlea > Altair
Phin > Fynn
Dist > Deist

and LMAO at DJzen's sig pic - I just completed FF2 Origins and my Maria had less HP than that! (But she NEVER gains HP... unlike Gus(Guy) who goes and gets 6200... it's stupid)

Faris_the_guy
04-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Psychotic, if you put you're ppl in the back, they can only get hurt by magic. Making it only posible to raise HP by hitting youreself silly. (sorry, I didn't wan't to get out of the subject).

MJN SEFEIR
04-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Ok I broad cast My opinions!

Coneria -> Cornelia

L = R

the 2 letters are pronounced EXACTLY the same!
(in Japenese that is)

Kary WAS infact called Malrith origonly you know how all the finds came back in FF9 expept Kary?

She did she was Malris!

Now on to Final Fantasy 2!

Frioniel > Firion

like I said he was shortend for 5 leters (or 6 here)

Maria = same
so her names "Same" now (joke!)

Guy > Gus
Maybe someone decided to change it for know reason like WOOSLY (http://stanbeat.tripod.com/beat/id20.html) did

Leonheart > Leon

It was Lion origonly but they work the same in japanese!
Ming-Wu - Mindu
It was Minh in roms but Minu in japan make of it what

Richard > Gareth
no idea

Raila > Leila
see Cornea./Conela

Atlea > Altair
Phin > Fynn
Dist > Deist

the rest point less changes that are pronounced the same!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Richard, Gareth? I really wish they would have called him Rico. :aimsad:

Psychotic
04-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Wow, was I the first person to find out he was calle Gareth? yay! gimme medal! I guess that's because most people started FFI before II on Origins....

Anyway, on the ROM I played, Mindu was Ming-wu, so meh

Also,
Ka'sion is there, but I don't know the old name

Josef is Josef still.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-17-2003, 11:52 PM
That's really because it's not pronounced "JO-sef." It's "YO-zef."

DJZen
04-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Ka'sion? I think it was the town called Kashuon originally...

Psychotic
04-19-2003, 12:15 PM
'tis the place where Gordon first joins the party.

DJZen
04-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Okay, now that I've had some actual time to devote to playing FFO (yes, I'm WAAAAAAAAY behind the bandwagon) there actually WERE some changes that I noticed. The OddEYE was renamed "goggler" which was called Evil Eye in the original. Also, they NAMED the Dwarf Cave..... Huh? The Japanese version it was just called "Dwarven Cave", where did they even come up with "Mt. Duergar"? And how exactly do you get "Gnoma" from "Earth Elemental"?

Oh well, the game still rules *goes back to playing it*

Shadowblazer
05-02-2003, 06:27 AM
And how exactly do you get "Gnoma" from "Earth Elemental"?It's Greek (probably Latin as well) for Earth. Incidentally, that's where the word "Gnome" comes from, as Gnomes live in the Earth :D

The names of all the elementals in FFO have similar origins. Pyros, Aquos, Aeros...